Around The NHL Part XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The European leagues are not immune to the impacts of COVID, either. I mean the Slovak league barely went off and may not finish, as an example. Most places have limits on fans in the stands or none at all, and will face big revenue shortfalls. Everyone lost lots of revenue canceling playoffs. Teams will fold. They will look for government bailouts or shutter. Guys may be heading to Europe at the moment because they know, at least for now, those leagues will play in some capacity (even if it's shortened seasons). If this persists for many more months, and things continue to get worse, the European leagues will likely end up in even worse shape than the NHL and AHL (much more money in the North American clubs to keep them afloat; no NHL team will go bankrupt because of this).

The KHL implemented a $13M USD salary cap. $13M for a full team. Guys aren't going to flock there. Some leagues have imposed new restrictions on imports from NA, both how many there can be and how long they have to stay (i.e., they must finish the season and can't be recalled by an NHL team mid-year).

No one is in good shape here. I can't see any lasting change to the landscape. Depending on what happens in Europe, teams over there may end up in far worse shape than teams in NA.

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
All the usual pundits are blowing loads about Montreal's great offseason, but all I see is a team that is NOT good enough to win it all but has just spent ALL it's money for the foreseeable future. How much do Price, Anderson and Gallagher have tied up amongst them? And how are they going to look in 3-5 years?

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
All the usual pundits are blowing loads about Montreal's great offseason, but all I see is a team that is NOT good enough to win it all but has just spent ALL it's money for the foreseeable future. How much do Price, Anderson and Gallagher have tied up amongst them? And how are they going to look in 3-5 years?
They are used to have terrible off seasons. That makes an ok off season looks like a great one.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The European leagues are not immune to the impacts of COVID, either. I mean the Slovak league barely went off and may not finish, as an example. Most places have limits on fans in the stands or none at all, and will face big revenue shortfalls. Everyone lost lots of revenue canceling playoffs. Teams will fold. They will look for government bailouts or shutter. Guys may be heading to Europe at the moment because they know, at least for now, those leagues will play in some capacity (even if it's shortened seasons). If this persists for many more months, and things continue to get worse, the European leagues will likely end up in even worse shape than the NHL and AHL (much more money in the North American clubs to keep them afloat; no NHL team will go bankrupt because of this).

The KHL implemented a $13M USD salary cap. $13M for a full team. Guys aren't going to flock there. Some leagues have imposed new restrictions on imports from NA, both how many there can be and how long they have to stay (i.e., they must finish the season and can't be recalled by an NHL team mid-year).

No one is in good shape here. I can't see any lasting change to the landscape. Depending on what happens in Europe, teams over there may end up in far worse shape than teams in NA.

Just wanted to add re. KHL that teams rosters have been already filled and there’s virtually no room to add NHL “spills” at this point.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

There's a lot of big "IFs" in their offseason.

If Anderson recovers and finds his form (despite his style being a concern for that outcome).

If Gallagher holds up (and that is doubtful).

If Price more closely resemles the 2013-2017 version of himself (despite just turning 33).

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Have to wonder when something gives and some of the inevitable moves around the league start happening. St. Louis is over the cap with Dunn unsigned. Islanders have 8M in space but have to re-sign Pulock and Barzal. Tampa has 2M with Sergachev, Cirelli and Cernak unsigned. A few other teams are at or over the cap without full rosters.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Have to wonder when something gives and some of the inevitable moves around the league start happening. St. Louis is over the cap with Dunn unsigned. Islanders have 8M in space but have to re-sign Pulock and Barzal. Tampa has 2M with Sergachev, Cirelli and Cernak unsigned. A few other teams are at or over the cap without full rosters.

Tampa probably should not have resigned Maroon. Schenn they can bury if they have to. Not very many options as far as teams ready to take on older veterans like Johnson or Killorn. They need to dump players like that to have any chance of giving Sergachev or Cirelli a decent deal. Maybe those guys will take a major hit for the team but I guess we'll see. I wouldn't be shocked if they're force to trade one of Sergachev or Cirelli for less than market value and they might lose Cernak too.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I don’t know whose got the hate on for Buffalo, but these had me chuckling
BD8E67AC-8DCA-4700-8908-8D7336D4AA6E.jpeg
DC21C484-89FE-4F6A-AB80-8CCD4282AB6C.jpeg

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

listening to the NHL Network the only (sarcastic) praise they are receiving is the willingness to spend money yet nobody can figure out the direction.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
MTL just spent a boat load of money on middle-pair/middle-6ers and hoping that their goalie can pull them through. As Ranger fans, we are very aware of how that turned out.
Turned out pretty well, we made it to the finals and made some very deep runs, presidents trophy etc. Montreal should be thrilled with that level of success.

Problem is current Price isn’t as good as Hank was at that time, and their best players are all over 30.

Reactions: bl02

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
MTL will be a good team. Bergevin's banking on having a team that comes at you in waves, which they've been for the last few years.

As much as Anderson or Gallagher are question marks, he's really putting his chips down in Suzuki and Kotkaniemi.

The myth of Carey Price has been and will always be their sisyphean boulder. (#should'vekepthalakin2011)

For all the attention a team like MTL or OTT have gotten for pretty meagre supplements, I think the NJD deserves some credit. I think Jack Hughes got thrown under the bus for their year; adding Johnsson, Murray, and Crawford were really savvy moves. I could see them improving in a huge way.

Reactions: egelband

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Thornton signing in Toronto. I hope they go something like 20-52-10 (or Covid equivalent) and lose the draft lottery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad