Around The NHL Part XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I always grew up that "XYZ starts at 9" meant that at 9, you were there and ready to go. Not you roll up at 9 and then get ready. That's just how it was in everything I did. I guess not for everyone.

Same thing is plainly evident working from home doing Zoom meetings. I have a core group, that for the 11 a.m. meeting, everyone is in the room at 10:55 and we start at 11 sharp. A couple other departments, I meet with them, and "11 a.m. meeting" means "try to start wrapping up what you're doing around 11 then head into the meeting" and we always start 10 minutes late because we're waiting for a half-dozen people to join. Personally I think that's obnoxious and you need to be early to things and 100% ready by the stated time, but not everyone sees it that way.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I always grew up that "XYZ starts at 9" meant that at 9, you were there and ready to go. Not you roll up at 9 and then get ready. That's just how it was in everything I did. I guess not for everyone.

Same thing is plainly evident working from home doing Zoom meetings. I have a core group, that for the 11 a.m. meeting, everyone is in the room at 10:55 and we start at 11 sharp. A couple other departments, I meet with them, and "11 a.m. meeting" means "try to start wrapping up what you're doing around 11 then head into the meeting" and we always start 10 minutes late because we're waiting for a half-dozen people to join. Personally I think that's obnoxious and you need to be early to things and 100% ready by the stated time, but not everyone sees it that way.
Also, international play is another level. It's an honor. You were selected. You are representing your country. This is not just another game in the season you're rolling up to. 1987 Canada Cup Mark Messier would have chewed their asses.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Yea that’s not just a hockey thing.

If work starts at 9, you’re ready to work at 9. Not walking in at 9. Pretty standard demand in the corporate world.

Reactions: Cmox

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yea that’s not just a hockey thing.

If work starts at 9, you’re ready to work at 9. Not walking in at 9. Pretty standard demand in the corporate world.

Yeah, I expect my team to be in at 8:45 if they start at 9. You start work at 9, you don't walk in at 9.

Between grabbing a coffee, having a quick chat, sitting down, getting your tools/laptop etc readyd to go, you need those 15 minutes. ANd at 9, it's go time. If you walk in at 8:50, you're late.

Reactions: Cmox

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
not sure if it was mentioned but kings said byfield will play in the WJC even if it overlaps with the start of camp/season...of course given how young he is (full year younger than lafreniere) it might be debated if he goes back to juniors for a year anyway

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
not sure if it was mentioned but kings said byfield will play in the WJC even if it overlaps with the start of camp/season...of course given how young he is (full year younger than lafreniere) it might be debated if he goes back to juniors for a year anyway

Is everyone like Kings fans freaking out with the conspiracy "they're going to try to injure him" posts?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
So was talking with a friend about the Metro Division this year and we got to Pittsburgh. Honestly how do you all feel about them? They don't look that wonderful on D and G. Yes they still have Crosby and Malkin who even though they have been around forever are not ancient, but the rest of that squad looks unappealing.

I'm not going to turn this into some Florida Panthers fake hype, but is this the year the Metro standings do a 180?

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I read this a little differently. Sounded like Byfield said he was playing in the WJC and it didn’t sound like he was asking the Kings for permission. If that’s the case, good for him.

Reactions: leetch99

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I read this a little differently. Sounded like Byfield said he was playing in the WJC and it didn’t sound like he was asking the Kings for permission. If that’s the case, good for him.

scott wheeler said that he spoke to rob blake about it. the kings are on board obviously. he is under contract with the kings. i don't think he can just do whatever he wants without them being ok with it
Byfield won't leave Team Canada if world juniors overlap with NHL season

Reactions: egelband

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I guess I’m behind the curve here, but did the NHL announce a 60 game season and divisional realignment?

The New York Rangers' playoffs hopes just took a big hit
Nothing has been confirmed. But those could be the divisions. I really don’t see how it has affected the Rangers playoff chances any differently. No matter what division they are in, they need their defense to take steps forward. They need their bottom 6 to be more reliable. I really dont see how that division is overly daunting for the Rangers. Boston is an older team who is on trending in the wrong direction. Buffalo chokes every year. The rest of the division are no strangers to them. Obviously Carolina is a favorite, NYI/WAS/PHI will all be competitive. Rangers can skate with those teams for one of the remaining playoff spots behind the favorites.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I guess I’m behind the curve here, but did the NHL announce a 60 game season and divisional realignment?

The New York Rangers' playoffs hopes just took a big hit
Nothing official has been announced or confirmed.It's just all about what framework is currently on the table and whatnot.

The league is hyper-focused on a January 1st date. Division re-alignment is happening, but that's about the only thing "guaranteed" right now, and even then it's not official yet.

Reactions: Synergy27

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Did I read that correctly that we would play Boston 8 f*cking times?

Hank 8 times?

F***.

Rivalries are going to be so lit up after this whacked out season.

Reactions: egelband

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
So was talking with a friend about the Metro Division this year and we got to Pittsburgh. Honestly how do you all feel about them? They don't look that wonderful on D and G. Yes they still have Crosby and Malkin who even though they have been around forever are not ancient, but the rest of that squad looks unappealing.

I'm not going to turn this into some Florida Panthers fake hype, but is this the year the Metro standings do a 180?

I don't know, Florida always seems to disappoint, just making the playoffs for them over their history has been a struggle. Must be tough as a Panthers fan and seeing a fellow 90s expansion team in Tampa already with 2 Cups to your zero. I'm not that high on Pittsburgh either as far as being a Cup contender anymore. I haven't really looked at the rosters in depth regarding offseason moves throughout the divisions to make any informed predictions though. Is Mike Hoffman still not signed? I haven't been following much NHL news over the last month or so.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Stick with theses divisions going forward. Top 8 in each conference make the playoffs - seed by points reseed after each round so best remaining always plays worst. Add the Kraken and let it run.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Stick with theses divisions going forward. Top 8 in each conference make the playoffs - seed by points reseed after each round so best remaining always plays worst. Add the Kraken and let it run.
What? No. The normal divisions are aligned by time zone for a good reason. Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto fans would have away games starting at 10 PM consistently under this system. Only Montreal fans deserve that fate. And how would you do the conferences? East/Central and West/Canada? East/Canada and West/Central? Either way you have interconference matchups going across the continent.

Reactions: RGY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad