Around the NHL: Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I kind of feel like Yandle is one of those guys who, though talented, shouldn't be one of your core, go-to players.

There's a comment a former associate of mine made a few weeks ago, regarding the Florida Panthers, that stood out to me.

It was something along the lines of, if Keith Yandle is your best defenseman, that's probably why you're still struggling to make the playoffs for the first time in a generation.

It wasn't so much as a knock on Yandle, so much as the belief that he's a guy you role out behind your big guns. And I tend to agree with that.
I agree, but you know, I would have said the same thing about John Carlson.

Speaking of Florida, Ekblad is kind of beasting right now, lol
ekblaaa96
ekblaaa96

Last edited:
Reactions: Edge

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Lmao New Jersey. Can’t wait until Hall leaves. Not excited to see them pick in the top 10 again but their drafting is pretty shit anyway.

Being a Devils’ fan lol

Reactions: Bob Richards

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Lmao New Jersey. Can’t wait until Hall leaves. Not excited to see them pick in the top 10 again but their drafting is pretty **** anyway.

Being a Devils’ fan lol

First of all, they are going top 5. Then the draft is so loaded, they possibily couldn't f*** it up. Third I hope you're right and they go for another midget like Hischy and Huges (Kaapo's pronunciation).

Worst case scenario is if these :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: get the BPA*. Last year it was KK and we got him, this year its Byfield I do not - under any circumstances - want to see him with a divisonal rival.

*my BPA

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
They need to create a higher league for McDavid cause clearly he's not even being challenged. He can dipsy doodle there by himself until another one of him comes along

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
At some point McDavid and Draisaitl have to come back down to earth, and the Oilers will go back to being bad

They just have no depth outside of those guys

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
At some point McDavid and Draisaitl have to come back down to earth, and the Oilers will go back to being bad

They just have no depth outside of those guys
Draisaitl has 41, McDavid 37 and their next closest guy was 15 (RNH & Kassian). They are that team's only offense.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Draisaitl has 41 points in 21 games. When was the last time someone was that close to 2 points per game 1/4 through the season. Insane. I know McD is the better of the two, but Drai is a stud all around player, a guy who is built for the playoffs and doesn’t get enough credit due to people thinking it’s all McD. Neither’s points would be as high without the other. McD is still a 100 point guy while Drai might only be a 75-80 point two way force, but that’s still mighty elite and he’s on a great contract.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Depth on offense and defense will be a challenge for Edmonton.

Which really is a bit of a microcosm of their struggles for a while now.

Once you get past the elite talent that tends to come with having a first overall pick, or a pick in the top 3 or 4, you have to be able to surround that talent with support players --- either through the draft, through trades, or through free agency.

When you look at teams like Edmonton, and to a lesser extent Colorado, the challenge is less about having one or two guys who are among the top players in the league, so much as it's about finding players outside of having a top-12 pick.

Thus far, Edmonton still hasn't solved that problem. They just happen to be able to mask it by having enough of those former high picks starting to hit their peak production years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad