Around the NHL - Part XLII - (2023-24 Season edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Curious about what Torts said about it.

I hadn't realized that enough time had passed where it had to be impossible for Torts not to know
He said he hadn't heard about it, until right after the Caps empty netter.

Look at the postgame interviews for the Detroit players, and you could tell they were not happy about what happened.

Larkin was asked when he heard of the empty netter, and he said right before the shootout. Man is that crushing. OT is what 5 minutes?

I said it was at least 4 or 5 minutes. We'll know more tomorrow, on how long exactly it was. I watched both games simultaneously, because I knew a situation like this might occur. And sure enough Torts revealed once again what a dolt he is.

Last edited:

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Torts is like the simplest coach in history so none of this is that complicated.
Going into the game the Flyers had to win in regulation to even have a chance, therefore the only challenge Torts had for his players was to win in regulation; literally that is the only thing he/they gave a shit about, regardless of what happened around the league.

Because if they win in regulation regardless of other results he can build them up by saying how proud he is that they fought until the end, and show why it is important to maintain standards across the season rather than wait to the literal last minute.
And if they don't win in reg then the message is 'we didn't deserve the spot anyway so come back next years and actually earn it'.

Reactions: Greg02

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Torts is like the simplest coach in history so none of this is that complicated.
Going into the game the Flyers had to win in regulation to even have a chance, therefore the only challenge Torts had for his players was to win in regulation; literally that is the only thing he/they gave a shit about, regardless of what happened around the league.

Because if they win in regulation regardless of other results he can build them up by saying how proud he is that they fought until the end, and show why it is important to maintain standards across the season rather than wait to the literal last minute.
And if they don't win in reg then the message is 'we didn't deserve the spot anyway so come back next years and actually earn it'.
If he had the know-it-all, to pull the goalie in the event of a tie, late in the game, he should have known if that was still feasible, right before making that call. How hard could it have been, to get a go or no go just before he was ready? There was still a game to be played, even if they were eliminated. With a good chance to win in OT. A coach throwing away that opportunity is inexcusable.

Last edited:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I doubt Torts had any idea what was going on in the Red Wings game and did what gave his team the best chance in the overall scheme of things to end up in the playoffs.

This is all moot. Washington could've scored anyway, could've won in OT anyway, could've won in the SO anyway. There's no reason to think they weren't going to win that game.

Detroit won 27 games in regulation. They didn't deserve shit.

Reactions: Graves94

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Folks, can we please try and cut out the personal attacks. Playoffs haven’t even started yet, lol. Thanks.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
It's not Tortorella's fault that the Red Wings or Penguins didn't make the post season, they are not his responsibility.

He went into the game with a gameplan to try and win in regulation. Did I think he pulled the goalie earlier than necessary, yes, but that is debateable.

Also as a bonus, the Flyers slide down a few draft slots. Remember, this is the same team that traded Sean Walker at the deadline.

This was a rebuilding year, so Torts went for the regulation win, and the safety net of losing was a much improved draft pick. Seems smart to me.

Reactions: bl02

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I doubt Torts had any idea what was going on in the Red Wings game and did what gave his team the best chance in the overall scheme of things to end up in the playoffs.

This is all moot. Washington could've scored anyway, could've won in OT anyway, could've won in the SO anyway. There's no reason to think they weren't going to win that game.

Detroit won 27 games in regulation. They didn't deserve shit.
You dont think the Flyers had a coach or others in a sky box watching the Detroit game and calling down updates to the bench each goal? I find that hard to believe but its possible.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
You dont think the Flyers had a coach or others in a sky box watching the Detroit game and calling down updates to the bench each goal? I find that hard to believe but its possible.
Why bother? It's not like the Flyers' actions would need to change in a way to change the optimal outcome for themselves.

Reactions: frozenrubber

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Mods, just light people up. If they're not getting all the many in-thread warnings you have posted, they won't understand until they miss a whole playoff round.

No more Mr. Nice Guy. :)

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Chuckling that after a week of the Red Wings celebrating every goal like it was Game 7 that they missed the playoffs entirely. That team has poor leadership, structure and goaltending. Yzerman is a genius though. Sorry Kaner.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn

Read above, they had no reason to care.

1) Win in regulation (oblivious to the other game outcomes), potentially make the playoffs
2) Lose, get a better draft pick position

Point 1 was moot late in the 3rd, but Tortorella cares about culture, winning, and getting his players ready for a game. He is not going to give a pre-game speech on the importance of winning in regulation, only to tell his team nevermind late in the 3rd, let's see if we can win in OT for funsies.

Philadelphia has no incentive to change game decisions for the playoff outcomes for other teams.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Why bother? It's not like the Flyers' actions would need to change in a way to change the optimal outcome for themselves.
The same reason fans would watch both scores. There is almost zero chance Flyers coaches or management were not watching the Detroit game somewhere in that building imo. Its natural to want to be updated on if they had a chance to make the playoffs or not. I remember teams doing this going back to Boston thanking a Cleveland pitcher on their scoreboard back in the 70's. That was way before all of todays technology.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Read above, they had no reason to care.

1) Win in regulation (oblivious to the other game outcomes), potentially make the playoffs
2) Lose, get a better draft pick position

Point 1 was moot late in the 3rd, but Tortorella cares about culture, winning, and getting his players ready for a game. He is not going to give a pre-game speech on the importance of winning in regulation, only to tell his team nevermind late in the 3rd, let's see if we can win in OT for funsies.

Philadelphia has no incentive to change game decisions for the playoff outcomes for other teams.
Never said he would have changed anything. I said they were getting updates on the Redwings game and I think it is naive to think that they were not. Torts is unique but he is still human. Almost every Flyers fan never mind a NHL coach in the NHL would want to know what was going on.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

I do. Torts is that kind of personality. “We need to take care of our business no matter what else is going on”. I seriously doubt he even wanted to know.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I do. Torts is that kind of personality. “We need to take care of our business no matter what else is going on”. I seriously doubt he even wanted to know.
Alright believe what you want. It is 2024. The odds that they didn't have someone watching the Redwings game upstairs and radioing down updates to the bench are around. 0000000000000034% in 2024.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
if the flyers really were eliminated before pulling the goalie then that decision is moronic. As a player I’d be pretty pissed after the game to learn we had a chance to play spoiler but instead just did some clown shit for literally no reason

EDIT: apparently the flyers pulled the goalie a few seconds before Detroit tied the game. Just insane timing.

Last edited:
Reactions: OriginalLimbo

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Red Wings shouldn't have lost 10,000 games in a row down the stretch.

The capitals sold at the deadline. They made the playoffs against their will. It’s not even like they went on some super heater to sneak in.

The Yzerplan lost a spot to a team that went 13-9-2 since March 1st.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Alright believe what you want. It is 2024. The odds that they didn't have someone watching the Redwings game upstairs and radioing down updates to the bench are around. 0000000000000034% in 2024.

He said he didn’t know until after the empty net goal and was pulling the goalie no matter what anyway. Your made up % is meaningless. Who cares? The Red Wings are responsible for their fate, not Torts.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He said he didn’t know until after the empty net goal and was pulling the goalie no matter what anyway. Your made up % is meaningless. Who cares? The Red Wings are responsible for their fate, not Torts.
1. You are making a strawman argument. I never said the Redwings weren't responsible for their fate.

2. Torts pulled the goalie with around 3 minutes to go. You just said he found out about the Redwings after the empty net goal. You just proved my point. Somebody was updating the bench about the Redwings game just as I said. Can I say whether Torts found out 10 seconds before or after the EN goal? No I can't say that but he was getting updates. You just proved what I said. 😊

Reactions: OriginalLimbo

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Red Wings shouldn't have lost 10,000 games in a row down the stretch.

The capitals sold at the deadline. They made the playoffs against their will. It’s not even like they went on some super heater to sneak in.

The Yzerplan lost a spot to a team that went 13-9-2 since March 1st.
Getting clapped by the coyotes twice in a week 4-0 and 4-1 should disqualify you from the playoffs

This guy made the same reference today WTF

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
1. You are making a strawman argument. I never said the Redwings weren't responsible for their fate.

2. Torts pulled the goalie with around 3 minutes to go. You just said he found out about the Redwings after the empty net goal. You just proved my point. Somebody was updating the bench about the Redwings game just as I said. Can I say whether Torts found out 10 seconds before or after the EN goal? No I can't say that but he was getting updates. You just proved what I said. 😊

What? No. I said he didn’t know about the Red Wings goal until after the Caps goal so the decision, and the right one at that, was made BEFORE he knew about being out if it. Are you arguing that he did it on purpose and knew about it or that there’s communication with the bench? If it’s the latter, of course I agree with you. Both things happened within a minute of each other so I doubt he knew when he made the decision that he knew had to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad