Around the NHL: Part VII – Sweeps and Suspensions (Mod Warning Post #249)

Status
Not open for further replies.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
So Carolina deserves to be compensated for losing a guy that they didn’t drafted?

Missing the point. I'm not commenting about Carolina, Calgary, or Fox at all - I just used it as an example of an NHL policy that I think should change.

I don't think draft picks should "time out" and then go play wherever they want. There should be some restitution - either by the signing team or perhaps an additional 7th round pick, or something. Carolina, in this example, traded for a 2nd round pick of Calgary that's rendered worthless by time and the inclination of the player not wanting to play for them.

College UFA's are good for the Rangers, but they aren't great for smaller market teams or less desirable franchises.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Missing the point. I'm not commenting about Carolina, Calgary, or Fox at all - I just used it as an example of an NHL policy that I think should change.

I don't think draft picks should "time out" and then go play wherever they want. There should be some restitution - either by the signing team or perhaps an additional 7th round pick, or something. Carolina, in this example, traded for a 2nd round pick of Calgary that's rendered worthless by time and the inclination of the player not wanting to play for them.

College UFA's are good for the Rangers, but they aren't great for smaller market teams or less desirable franchises.

I disagree...it encourages teams to actually use their drafted players instead of leaving them in the minors in favour of older or already paid players and extending their rfa window

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I disagree...it encourages teams to actually use their drafted players instead of leaving them in the minors in favour of older or already paid players and extending their rfa window

How? If the drafted (college) player never plays for the team and never signs a contract why would that impact player usage within the organization? What's different? The guy that you drafted that didn't sign doesn't impact the organization one way or the other except for wasting a draft pick.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

I just think they should be able to become a UFA if they wait until the January following. Actually make them miss out of some months with earning potential.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

There is an expiration on all draft picks if you don’t sign them. You get only 2 years to sign Chl players. Those are the rules.

teams are free to avoid this by trading away their picks and not drafting anyone

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Interesting. Didn't know. Never mind the whole thing then lol.
After two years CHL players go back in the draft, and some Euro players (depending if there's a transfer agreement or not?). Tim Erixon would have gone back in the draft if Calgary didn't trade him. They can go back in the draft twice and become a UFA after four years, but I don't believe anyone has ever done that.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I mean, they’ve already foregone 1-4 years of earning potential at that point, no?
Probably. But they are getting a college degree for free during that time. I think some would still choose to go to January, but probably less.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Wait... so because it's a roughing penalty instead of a high stick, it doesn't matter that McAvoy is bleeding? That seems like a touch of bullshit mixed into that call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad