Around the NHL, Part 5 -- Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Compensation is actually low imo. Give Cirelli 8,726,188 for 7 years.. easily pay that price. Or shoot higher and give PLD or Barzal 7 years 12 million and piss of Eichel.

Then we’d suck AND we wouldn’t have a first round pick for four years. No GM is ever even thinking about doing that.

FrenchConnection

Aug 28, 2020
Lol Isles you are pathetic lol....... you lose the game with 7 seconds left lol..hope you get swept you EARN that chumps

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
$12M per year is four 1st round picks
I wasn't advocating to do 12 million a year. We already have our franchise center and do not need to pay the salary or draft capital to acquire one nor piss-off said franchise center. I would easily pay the price for Cirelli at any compensation below 9.5.

I would also easily pay 12 million a year for PLD or Barzal if I was Minnesota and in need of a franchise center.

While picks are certainly valuable, there is an over inflation of their value on this site. A young, number 1 center not even in their prime, paired with their current roster and farm would make it even easier.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Not that it matters practically, since no one's actually going to sign any offer sheets most likely, but when it comes to offer sheet compensation, if it's an offer of more than 5 years, the AAV of the deal is not what determines what draft picks are lost. For 6 or 7 year offer sheets, compensation for the deal is based on the total value of the offer sheet divided by 5. So, for example, an offer sheet of $9.5M for 7 years means that, solely for the purposes of draft pick compensation, the offer sheet actually counts as being worth $13.5M. So teams are actually incentivized to limit their offer sheets to 5 years.

The real problem with offer sheets is not the draft pick compensation in and of itself. It's that a team is almost always going to match an offer sheet unless you significantly overpay the player you are acquiring. That is where the compensation becomes onerous, as teams do not want to have to both overpay a player and give up valuable draft picks too.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Not that it matters practically, since no one's actually going to sign any offer sheets most likely, but when it comes to offer sheet compensation, if it's an offer of more than 5 years, the AAV of the deal is not what determines what draft picks are lost. For 6 or 7 year offer sheets, compensation for the deal is based on the total value of the offer sheet divided by 5. So, for example, an offer sheet of $9.5M for 7 years means that, solely for the purposes of draft pick compensation, the offer sheet actually counts as being worth $13.5M. So teams are actually incentivized to limit their offer sheets to 5 years.

The real problem with offer sheets is not the draft pick compensation in and of itself. It's that a team is almost always going to match an offer sheet unless you significantly overpay the player you are acquiring. That is where the compensation becomes onerous, as teams do not want to have to both overpay a player and give up valuable draft picks too.
But couldn't a slight overpay push a team like tampa not to match if they haven't unloaded salary by then?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
But couldn't a slight overpay push a team like tampa not to match if they haven't unloaded salary by then?

The big issue in Tampa is getting the player to sign the OS.

Exhibit A: Point last year when Montreal approached him about an OS.

And I doubt you see Tampa not match on a guy like Cirelli. The way you pry someone away from TB is an RFA that is a depth guy that you overpay and they don't want to overpay.

Stephens & Verhaeghe are better targets if you actually want to pry someone off their roster.

Cernak & Sergachev would be interesting if a team can interest them.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I wasn't advocating to do 12 million a year. We already have our franchise center and do not need to pay the salary or draft capital to acquire one nor piss-off said franchise center. I would easily pay the price for Cirelli at any compensation below 9.5.

I would also easily pay 12 million a year for PLD or Barzal if I was Minnesota and in need of a franchise center.

While picks are certainly valuable, there is an over inflation of their value on this site. A young, number 1 center not even in their prime, paired with their current roster and farm would make it even easier.

Top 10 picks are extremely valuable -- how do you figure that it wouldn't absolutely destroy the team? I mean, we were last place with ROR...adding Barzal or PLD alone isn't dragging us out of the basement.

But I do agree that it might be a good idea for some other teams who pick later in the round. Those teams are all at cap though, and can't fit a high priced FA.

Draft picks are overrated but four 1st rounders is something that no GM will ever give up in today's NHL. 100% guaranteed not happening ever. Which is part of the reason why NHL has gotten so boring...GMs has gotten so conservative. Back in the day it seemed like there were a lot more blockbuster deals, but maybe that's rose-colored glasses.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Yeah. I mean, Tampa is looking pretty susceptible to having good players poached one way or another this off-season. If push comes to shove with their RFAs, I think Sergachev is their clear #1 priority over Cirelli.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Top 10 picks are extremely valuable -- how do you figure that it wouldn't absolutely destroy the team? I mean, we were last place with ROR...adding Barzal or PLD alone isn't dragging us out of the basement.

But I do agree that it might be a good idea for some other teams who pick later in the round. Those teams are all at cap though, and can't fit a high priced FA.

Draft picks are overrated but four 1st rounders is something that no GM will ever give up in today's NHL. 100% guaranteed not happening ever. Which is part of the reason why NHL has gotten so boring...GMs has gotten so conservative. Back in the day it seemed like there were a lot more blockbuster deals, but maybe that's rose-colored glasses.
The way I see it is we hope the 8th overall pick turns into Cirelli in a few years. Adding a second and third (I know we don't have) to ensure we get him and signed long term is fine.

A team like Minnesota has the depth, need and capital to do this. Slap a 7 year 12 million tag on Barzal or PLD and put the other team in a bind.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
They did a laughable job at it. 8.5 per over 5 years. Canes were not pressed for cap but had a cheap owner. One thing cheap people don't like is being called out as cheap. Plus a 1,2,3 for Aho is an easy yes for the poaching team.

They also talked to Point about one and he had no interest in signing one.

There is at least one GM out there that is willing to sign players to RFA OSs. But a team letting a player go is unlikely since the team has the right to match.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
They also talked to Point about one and he had no interest in signing one.

There is at least one GM out there that is willing to sign players to RFA OSs. But a team letting a player go is unlikely since the team has the right to match.
Nothing you can do if a player doesn't want to sign one. It puts the player in a bad negotiating spot, Point missed out on some decent money. Hopefully he can recoup some of that in two years.

A GM may be willing to do that but they also need to have the stones to pull one off. Aho was never going anywhere and his agent did a good job feeding both sides. If you really want a young franchise center... cough up 7 years and pay the price for one with additional on top because they don't grow in trees. 7 years 12-13 million. Again, you could spend all 4 picks trying to get an Aho or Barzal or PLD. A team like Minnesota has two firsts next year as well, accept the cost and get that coveted number 1C.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Nothing you can do if a player doesn't want to sign one. It puts the player in a bad negotiating spot, Point missed out on some decent money. Hopefully he can recoup some of that in two years.

A GM may be willing to do that but they also need to have the stones to pull one off. Aho was never going anywhere and his agent did a good job feeding both sides. If you really want a young franchise center... cough up 7 years and pay the price for one with additional on top because they don't grow in trees. 7 years 12-13 million. Again, you could spend all 4 picks trying to get an Aho or Barzal or PLD. A team like Minnesota has two firsts next year as well, accept the cost and get that coveted number 1C.

Point's contract is backloaded. His QO will assure he makes at least $9M AAV on his next deal.
It's like Timo Meier's contract only much better, because who in the world thinks Meier is worth $10M+ per year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad