OT: Around the NHL: Keep the trade talk to the other threads please

Status
Not open for further replies.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
I can't believe they did it. After all of their abominable performances, mistakes, and whatever, they control their own destiny.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
Yeah people in here were making Islanders and Florida out like this juggernauts who couldn't lose a game. They, much like the Penguins will lose a lot of games, because they (just like the Penguins) are a bubble team.

In a race of bubble teams, one more win for Pens/Florida/Isles will probably be enough to get in. And I'll enjoy the playoff hocket, even though it's more likely than not a sweep for the opponents of Pens.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Screenshot_20230411_113322_Chrome.jpg

We still aren't IN. So don't celebrate yet.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Those 10-11 stats with no star linemate is bonkers. I think Crosby would have won the Rocket and Art Ross that season by more than what McDavid is doing this year.

Obviously we'll never know if he kept it up, but Crosby's "pace" that year was 64 goals and 132 points. D. Sedin won the Art Ross with 104 points, while Perry won the Rocket with 50 goals.

So yeah, people forget the gap between what Sid was doing and the rest of the league that year. He was on pace to lead the league in goals by almost 15 and in points by almost 30, all in a low scoring era where his best linemates were Kunitz and Dupuis (not another 120+ point guy).

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
He probably is around the same tbh.
McDavid would out score Crosby by like 10-15 points. I could see 24 year old Crosby doing 135-140 maybe. He is farther ahead of his competition than Sid was. I look at it like this, realistically Crosby probably would have finished that 10/11 season between 115-125 points. Maybe you disagree, but I think that would be a reasonable expectation for him that year. The year before that, Ovechkin had 109 in 72 games (124 point pace) and the year after Malkin had 109 in 75 games (119 point pace). So even if Sid had stayed healthy and finished that season, it's not likely that his peak would be that much better if any than Ovechkin or Malkin. Nobody in the league is even close to replicating the numbers McDavid is putting up this year, or the pace he did in 2021. Not even close. I think Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin were a small step above guys like Draisaitl and Kucherov, but there's no chance all three are as good as McDavid is now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
McDavid would out score Crosby by like 10-15 points. I could see 24 year old Crosby doing 135-140 maybe. He is farther ahead of his competition than Sid was. I look at it like this, realistically Crosby probably would have finished that 10/11 season between 115-125 points. Maybe you disagree, but I think that would be a reasonable expectation for him that year. The year before that, Ovechkin had 109 in 72 games (124 point pace) and the year after Malkin had 109 in 75 games (119 point pace). So even if Sid had stayed healthy and finished that season, it's not likely that his peak would be that much better if any than Ovechkin or Malkin. Nobody in the league is even close to replicating the numbers McDavid is putting up this year, or the pace he did in 2021. Not even close. I think Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin were a small step above guys like Draisaitl and Kucherov, but there's no chance all three are as good as McDavid is now.

I disagree. Crosby and Ovechkin were as good as McDavid is now, they just played in a league with better goaltending talent and more parity.

It’s no surprise we are seeing these types of numbers after two years of expansion and dilution.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
I disagree. Crosby and Ovechkin were as good as McDavid is now, they just played in a league with better goaltending talent and more parity.

It’s no surprise we are seeing these types of numbers after two years of expansion and dilution.
I love Crosby dude, but he's simply not as far above his peers as McDavid is. Do you really think McDavid will be done winning Art Ross trophies after this year? Because Crosby didn't win another one after 26. He's been mostly healthy the last 10 years and hasn't been a threat to win a scoring title for a long time now. I could honestly see McDavid still competing for and winning scoring titles at like 33-34. He's that good.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I love Crosby dude, but he's simply not as far above his peers as McDavid is. Do you really think McDavid will be done winning Art Ross trophies after this year? Because Crosby didn't win another one after 26. He's been mostly healthy the last 10 years and hasn't been a threat to win a scoring title for a long time now. I could honestly see McDavid still competing for and winning scoring titles at like 33-34. He's that good.

Must not love Crosby that much if you didn’t realize he only lost in 14-15 because of injuries and coaching.

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
Must not love Crosby that much if you didn’t realize he only lost in 14-15 because of injuries and coaching.
I love Crosby enough to let his actual accomplishments and skill level speak for itself without making every excuse in the book for him. Fine let's assume Sid doesn't miss 5 games that year. Can we also take away Seguin's missed games as well? Sid's ppg was 1.09, Seguin's was 1.08. If it came down to the last few games of the season, and the scoring race was tight, would you be 100% confident in Sid winning it with the way he played down the stretch that year? Hell, even without Seguin being healthy, I don't think Crosby was an absolute lock to score 4 points in 5 games that year to beat Benn. (He finished 3 points back, and goals are the tie breaker, so he would have need 4 points to win it).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I love Crosby enough to let his actual accomplishments and skill level speak for itself without making every excuse in the book for him. Fine let's assume Sid doesn't miss 5 games that year. Can we also take away Seguin's missed games as well? Sid's ppg was 1.09, Seguin's was 1.08. If it came down to the last few games of the season, and the scoring race was tight, would you be 100% confident in Sid winning it with the way he played down the stretch that year? Hell, even without Seguin being healthy, I don't think Crosby was an absolute lock to score 4 points in 5 games that year to beat Benn. (He finished 3 points back, and goals are the tie breaker, so he would have need 4 points to win it).

Yet we can say McDavid is going to win Art Ross Trophies into his 30s because of what he is doing in his prime?

McDavid has the benefit of playing in a league that expanded and is focusing on offensive talent.

Crosby literally got injured on a blindside hit in the premier event in the league.

Two different leagues. McDavid would be fine in Crosby's NHL, but put prime Crosby in today's NHL and he's ripping off 150 point seasons as well.

Crosby's peak season crushed what McDavid did in his first three years.

And let's not ignore Crosby paced at 97 pts in 16-17 when McDavid won a Ross with 100.

The issue is Sid simply isn't healthy ever.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
Yet we can say McDavid is going to win Art Ross Trophies into his 30s because of what he is doing in his prime?

McDavid has the benefit of playing in a league that expanded and is focusing on offensive talent.

Crosby literally got injured on a blindside hit in the premier event in the league.

Two different leagues. McDavid would be fine in Crosby's NHL, but put prime Crosby in today's NHL and he's ripping off 150 point seasons as well.

Crosby's peak season crushed what McDavid did in his first three years.

And let's not ignore Crosby paced at 97 pts in 16-17 when McDavid won a Ross with 100.

The issue is Sid simply isn't healthy ever.
Look I don't think Crosby is like miles behind of McDavid or anything when talking peak for peak. I think Sid could probably hit around 135-140 in this league. That's what Geno's 2012 season converts to using league adjusted scoring. We all know Sid got screwed over by badly timed injuries, and really should have won at least 4 or 5 Harts and Art Ross. But he never ran circles around the league like McDavid is doing. Draisaitl might match or break Kucherov's 128 point season, which was the highest in almost 30 years, and still end up 25-30 points behind McDavid.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Look I don't think Crosby is like miles behind of McDavid or anything when talking peak for peak. I think Sid could probably hit around 135-140 in this league. That's what Geno's 2012 season converts to using league adjusted scoring. We all know Sid got screwed over by badly timed injuries, and really should have won at least 4 or 5 Harts and Art Ross. But he never ran circles around the league like McDavid is doing. Draisaitl might match or break Kucherov's 128 point season, which was the highest in almost 30 years, and still end up 25-30 points behind McDavid.

Is McDavid running circles around the league?

Or is he simply having his "defining season" that we never got to see under Sid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad