Around the NHL IX - It's, Like, 2015 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey...ik-not-surprised-ex-teammate-maattas-comeback

In fact, when Orpik learned that Maatta had been diagnosed with cancer and told he would need up to a month to recover from the procedure, Orpik predicted he’d be back in two weeks.

“I don’t have enough good things to say about the kid, to be honest with you,” said Orpik, who saw Maatta enter the NHL as a 19-year-old rookie with the Penguins last season. “He’s probably as humble and as ego-less as they come.

Some nice words by Orpik on Maatta, its impossible not to love Maatta.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
There's an episode of Caps Red Line on NHL Network right now and they're doing a feature on Orpik. You'd think he was the ******* lovechild of Bobby Orr and Scott Stephens the way they're going on about him. I especially liked the part about him being a good influence on the young defensemen in the locker room.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
The Flyers defense is so bad.. and thats on their forwards too. Laziest bunch in the league right now. The Rangers are getting glorious chances every shift.

Could you imagine Fleury on the Flyers? THat would be my dream.. i think he'd be floating a mid 70s save and 4.0 GAA for sure.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
How they play against them this year will tell us a lot about the coaching staff. We are 0-1 so far...

That game was way too early to say anything, it's next time we see them we will know. Pens had still all those bad habits because we just started with new coaching staff.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How many coaching candidates are there for replacements?

1. Dan Bylsma
2. John Tortorella
3. Guy Boucher
4. Kirk Muller

Those it?

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
How many coaching candidates are there for replacements?

1. Dan Bylsma
2. John Tortorella
3. Guy Boucher
4. Kirk Muller

Those it?

Boucher is coaching in Switzerland and Muller is an assistant coach in St.Louis so those two wouldn't be mid-season replacement options for other teams.

So that basically leaves Bylsma and Torts as options. Well I guess Ron Wilson is available as well.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Apparently his dad already did ****** stuff when it came to his contract negotiations with the Kings & Canes, too. Pulling the KHL-card, for example.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Hard to believe people do that to their own kids. Hopefully Jack gets his financial issues together.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
The Flyers get jammed up to play the Penguins, their forwards especially. I watch that group play other teams in the league and they are - by far - the worst looking group of forwards in their own end. I'm not sure if its carelessness or if they don't know where to go. Their penalty kill has killed 2 of the last 9 penalties.

Yet they play the Penguins and everyone is back checking, everyone is aggressive on the forecheck, no one loses their man in the defensive zone.

Its like there are two totally different teams. Its bizarre. I can't blame the Penguins so much as the Flyers just play so much better against them. Plus Fleury..

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
The game that Flyers played vs the Penguins this season was a beauty to watch from a pure hockey standpoint. They were playing with heart, having a gameplan and sticking to it precisely. I believe we could match that right now, but it certainly wouldn´t be easy.

It seems like those games are like SC game7s for them, they are a lazy bunch of losers but they are immediately on fire when they play us. They have some talent to bak it up, too.

And no coincidence, they had just 2 truly good games all season long. The other game was against the Kings, once again they were understandably super-motivated for it.

Other than that, they are just awful. They just don´t give a **** in the other games and they have some awful awful players there.. Colaiacovo, Emery, MDZ, Schultz, Grossmann, MacDonald, Luke Schenn, Umberger, Rinaldo, Lecavalier, Akeson, Vandevelde, Blair Jones.. Now, that´s some hot garbage. Read and Coburn are brutal as well, this season.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
You could say the same about the Rangers playing their best hockey against the Penguins (and one or two against some of the other top teams, I think). Toronto maybe, too.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
You could say the same about the Rangers playing their best hockey against the Penguins (and one or two against some of the other top teams, I think). Toronto maybe, too.
Yeah, the Rangers are doing that against the Penguins lately, too. You can be pretty sure that they will play their best against us next time again and again. The difference is that Fleury doesn´t have the Rangers in his head, yet. That´s why I have a little more confidence when we are playing NYR compared to PHI.. Still not ideal odds, though. At least the Rangers (unlike Flyers) can play some other good games here and there, too.

Montreal is a good team, but when they are playing the Bruins, they look like a dynasty. No coincidence either. Sometimes it´s hard to explain things like that, but it´s certainly something relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad