Around the NHL: It's hockey season!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Carlo is angry at math.

But the limits on divisional games due facilitate having a home-and-away with every non-conference team robs the league of the rivalry factor. Remember when they played six and even eight times vs. their divisional rivals instead of three times? That stuff gets heated even if it isn't fight-filled. Fans get up for that, especially casual ones.
There is no path to rebuilding rivalries that won't tick someone off, though.

I think one way to get rivalries back is not just increase division games in the regular season, but to go back to the old school playoff format where you have to play your way out of your division to get to the Conference Championship series.

But, I can already hear the whining about that idea.

:sarcasm:

Capture.PNG

Looks good to me, though...

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
but to go back to the old school playoff format where you have to play your way out of your division to get to the Conference Championship series.
That's already mostly what we have now, isn't it? Except occasionally wild cards will cross divisions. A lot of people don't like the current format because teams always end up playing the same teams in first couple rounds of the playoffs, and sometimes teams that shouldn't meet until the conference championships meet earlier as a result.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Carlo is angry at math.

But the limits on divisional games due facilitate having a home-and-away with every non-conference team robs the league of the rivalry factor. Remember when they played six and even eight times vs. their divisional rivals instead of three times? That stuff gets heated even if it isn't fight-filled. Fans get up for that, especially casual ones.
6-3-1 season format or die.

Edit - 6-3-1 makes the math easy also...same predictable schedule every year like the NFL.

Playoff format is good IMO. Mostly divisional based but allows for the times when a division is much better than the other and allows 5 teams in. I would only tweak it by saying if it ends up 4 and 4, that the 7th and 8th teams play the top division rival regardless of standings (no cross over unless it's 5 and 3).

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That's already mostly what we have now, isn't it? Except occasionally wild cards will cross divisions. A lot of people don't like the current format because teams always end up playing the same teams in first couple rounds of the playoffs, and sometimes teams that shouldn't meet until the conference championships meet earlier as a result.
Nope.

The old school playoff setup would have division only matchups for the first two rounds.

Currently, only the 2-3 matchups are guaranteed to be divisional matchups in the first round. And there are no guarantees in the second round.

Last year, you did get a lot of division matchups in the second round because there were no upsets by the WC teams in the first round. But, 3 of those 4 1-WC matchups were cross-division series.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
6-3-1 season format or die.

Edit - 6-3-1 makes the math easy also...same predictable schedule every year like the NFL.

Playoff format is good IMO. Mostly divisional based but allows for the times when a division is much better than the other and allows 5 teams in. I would only tweak it by saying if it ends up 4 and 4, that the 7th and 8th teams play the top division rival regardless of standings (no cross over unless it's 5 and 3).

It seems so simple and obvious. And bring back the back-to-backs that were a thing during COVID.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
This story is crazy!

One Rangers player, speaking on condition of anonymity, has suggested that while King’s wife’s dark-locks don’t bother him per se, they are another indication of how the organization’s current assists-leader has never quite “fit in” with his teammates. “Look, I don’t judge. Girls come in all shapes: blonde, brunette, bikini model, car-show model, playboy model, sexy-librarian. But it’s how (King) goes about things, y’know?”

Another confused player added, “Bro’s been with this non-blonde for years but I still have no idea what she looks like naked. Everyone knows you don’t put a ring on it until you’ve shown the boys a cellphone video of her giving you a beej.”

That shot at Logan Mailloux tho… :laugh:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Florida man...

(Not to make light of golf cart driving, but this is about as Florida a thing as one could see.)

That's hilarious, actually. I wouldn't have thought twice about it if someone was buzzed and asked me to ride in a golf cart with them. I know people who bar hop by riding snow mobiles. I'd assume they could get a DWI, too. Makes sense but doesn't seem nearly as selfish as getting hammered and driving a car.

I wonder if the punishment is lighter.

Reactions: Dingo44 and MOGlLNY

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's hilarious, actually. I wouldn't have thought twice about it if someone was buzzed and asked me to ride in a golf cart with them. I know people who bar hop by riding snow mobiles. I'd assume they could get a DWI, too. Makes sense but doesn't seem nearly as selfish as getting hammered and driving a car.

I wonder if the punishment is lighter.

Bikes, golf carts... even horses.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Bikes, golf carts... even horses.

I have a friend who got a DUI on a boat which honestly is much more dangerous than a golf cart. There are lots of communities where people ride their cart up to the local restaurants and bars. Not saying it's OK - but I imagine Brunette may have done enough for the cop to issue the DUI.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I have a friend who got a DUI on a boat which honestly is much more dangerous than a golf cart. There are lots of communities where people ride their cart up to the local restaurants and bars. Not saying it's OK - but I imagine Brunette may have done enough for the cop to issue the DUI.

The follow-on article said he was observed running a couple stop signs and weaving as he drove. It was potentially dangerous. I have no issue that he was charged or that other modes of travel also can get cited for it.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
Carlo is angry at math.

what even is a rivalry anymore? i can tell you nothing gets my blood flowing like a 8 guys hugging each other while 2 see who has the cleanest smelling gloves before the refs get together and roll a d6 for every player on the ice and any 1's get matching roughing minor

even toronto is barely about the on ice game, more fans v fans, everyones a friend, everyone played juniors together, everyone spent that 1 season in helsinki together

taking fighting out hasnt ruined anything about hockey, its just made it so theres not much happening when both teams arent scoring

theres not enough contact to be a gladiator sport anymore and theres too much contact to be a finesse game and its mass appeal is brutal in that spot, then you add in the refs who do too much to promote a more violent game but are too silent to ensure that players can fly around the ice, the schedule is so condensed that half the time 1 team is playing on a wing and a prayer, and then slather on the brilliance that is the modern NHL where 4 teams play for the cup, 14 teams play for some playoff revenue, and 14 teams probably would be really competitive teams in the AHL

there's only 1 rivalry per night in the nhl: refs v rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad