OT: Around the NHL: It's about to get real crazy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
In fairness, Kane and Toews were probably underpaid on their 2nd contracts, while Sid and Geno got the big bucks right away. Chicago was able to be successful because Toews and Kane (and Hossa, Keith, Seabrook) had caphits below to well below their market values.

Very true... they took advantage of the old contracts and loaded up a couple of years. Can't argue with that plan at all and it obviously worked, but it catches up with you eventually when you have to give out those mega 2nd/3rd deals. Regardless of why, I'm happy that we are in the situation we are in moving forward with the cap compared to them.

Now let's just tie them with the 3rd cup and try to pile on from there :yo:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I never root for anyone, as I always have said history shows that is a fool's errand and be careful what you wish for. That said, I will this time root not to get Nashville. They are the remaining team that scares me the most. I say that knowing the hypocrisy of going against what I have said for years, but Nashville just seems to be the worst match up for the Pens.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I think the Pens match up better against the Preds then the Ducks. Getzlaf and Kesler at center could easily throw off Malkin from his game.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I disagree. It's the speed teams that give us the most trouble. Plus we absolutely OWN Gibson. They will both be tough opponents, if we are fortunate enough to make it that far. Don't want to see 1996 all over again. How much does this Pens team have left in the tank? We shall see. I hope the 3rd period of G7 was a sign of things to come, not a desperation load blow.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Eh....6 years for a goalie who is already 30 and has had some injury issues? Bit too much for my tastes

You pay the extra year to get the cap hit down. Under 5MM for a starting goalie is pretty good when your stars are in their prime ages. 6 years is right in their window. Plus, it allows them to buyout one of their goalies and still be in the starter salary range of a lot of teams.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Very true... they took advantage of the old contracts and loaded up a couple of years. Can't argue with that plan at all and it obviously worked, but it catches up with you eventually when you have to give out those mega 2nd/3rd deals. Regardless of why, I'm happy that we are in the situation we are in moving forward with the cap compared to them.

Now let's just tie them with the 3rd cup and try to pile on from there :yo:

Totally. Chicago would be screwed eventually. The Pens are blessed that their worst contract was Kunitz and Dupuis (and Scuds, but man did JR work his magic on that one).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think the Pens match up better against the Preds then the Ducks. Getzlaf and Kesler at center could easily throw off Malkin from his game.

Nah. Nashville's D is elite and their transition game will eat ours for breakfast. Anaheim has a lot of good young D, but they are prone to mistakes if you pressure them. Plus, Rinne is great with the puck on his stick and is playing as well as any goalie in the playoffs.

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
Still feel it's the Preds who are the team to beat....

They should be the clear favourites now. I think they will destroy Gibson in that series and beat the Ducks 4-1. Assuming the Penguins get past Ottawa, Fleury would need to clench tightly and keep that horseshoe were it is to beat Nashville.

While he is injure prone, he is great when healthy. A bit long, but the cap hit is solid as long as one of the others gets dealt without retention.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
So Ovechkin hurt his hamstring in game 3 against the Pens, apparently. I wonder if it happened when he slewfooted Schultz going for the empty net. They both fell backwards and Ovechkin's legs bent at a weird angle.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
If they get by Ottawa a lot will depend on how many games it takes relative to the WCF, and whether they make it through relatively unscathed.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
So Ovechkin hurt his hamstring in game 3 against the Pens, apparently. I wonder if it happened when he slewfooted Schultz going for the empty net. They both fell backwards and Ovechkin's legs bent at a weird angle.

It would serve him right if it was. I don't really dislike Ovi much and I think he takes a lot of unwarranted criticism but that was dirty as hell.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
If ovi was making about 6 mil, I'd love him on this team for a couple years. He's an insane threat every time he gets his shot off and our power play would be...nuts. I don't hate him or anything, just that team in general and I never cared for his over the top celebrations.

But an almost 10 mil one trick pony is a no go. They should try to move him IMO.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

This was my thought as well.

bFg8ZKP.gif

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Kesler shouldn't be allowed to do what he does. It's embarrassing hockey. He trips, hooks, slashes the entire game. Let the guys play hockey.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Man people really like bashing Ovechkin in that main Cup thread on the main boards, not even Pens fans, like fans of other teams. I remember Horny taking a shot off of his ankle/foot and came back, everyone is playing through something, Malkin and his gimped shoulder, Maatta, Hainsey, Rust, I feel like Sid & Sheary are probably back way too quick from their concussions too but it's the playoffs, you will never stop a player that feels he's ready to play, from playing.

The absolute only thing I hate is when people make those injuries seem bigger than they are, like the Karlsson foot thing for example and then when the Pens beat the Wings in 2009, those wings fans still hate us and use the injuries as an excuse to this day.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Kesler shouldn't be allowed to do what he does. It's embarrassing hockey. He trips, hooks, slashes the entire game. Let the guys play hockey.

This is why I was 100% against Kesler on the Penguins. Just do not like that guy and even the Canucks fans hated him even before he left. The guy is just such a dick. The bigger problem is that the refs have probably been the worst I've seen since the early 90's and late 80's.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
6PM Friday in SoCal rush hour traffic, and apparently there's also an Angels home game tonight.

Angels Home Game.

They play 162 regular season games, they're about 40 in. This is the Western Conference Finals. That is a regular season game and the Angels suck balls (17-20).

Lmao..."California loves hockey!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad