Around the NHL III

Status
Not open for further replies.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Now people can hush about the Preds signing hin because Hutton sucks.

Bryz wasn't going to sign here anyways as he wants a shot at being a number 1 on a team not be a fill in who would then go to the bench when Rinne came back. Oilers play the flyers tomorrow. I'd love to watch that game if Bryz plays.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Bryz wasn't going to sign here anyways as he wants a shot at being a number 1 on a team not be a fill in who would then go to the bench when Rinne came back. Oilers play the flyers tomorrow. I'd love to watch that game if Bryz plays.

I know that. That's one reason i was sick of hearinf about it.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
It's interesting that we had interest in Smid a couple years ago and now he gets traded for nothing significant. Wasn't the rumor Smid for Blum?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

see, I think Bryz didnt think this through, if in fact he had an offer from nashville and turned it down, unless the Oil deal is for multiple years at good money.

The Oil's D is nothing to write home about, much like Philly. Fair change that Bryz struggles there, too. If he's on a short term deal, then he hurts himself finding another job...

If he signs here, where at least in theory we play better D, and he shines, he opens himself up for a bigger deal next summer

It's interesting that we had interest in Smid a couple years ago and now he gets traded for nothing significant. Wasn't the rumor Smid for Blum?

yes that was supposedly going to happen except Blum played so well his first couple of games up here... not sure why the Oil are dumping him unless he isnt playing up to his new 3.5 mil cap hit

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Edmonton has no idea what they're doing. Apparently gearing up for another lottery run. Smid's a good 2nd-3rd pairing guy, and the only player they had that resembled a defensive defenseman. Brutal.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
A lot of money for a guy who hasn't had a good season in a while. When Bryz is the highly coveted goalie that fills discussion it shows how little there is on the market.

When you've got "King Hut & the other kids" as your only other options, probably should've at least made an offer

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
King Hut and the kids have a winning record ... Pekka and the kids are a .500 team this year. The issue is the team's string of defensive lapses that would make Georges Vezina have a bad year. Performing that way in front of a rookie who blocks pucks rather than absorb or catch them is a recipe for disaster.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
King Hut and the kids have a winning record ... Pekka and the kids are a .500 team this year. The issue is the team's string of defensive lapses that would make Georges Vezina have a bad year. Performing that way in front of a rookie who blocks pucks rather than absorb or catch them is a recipe for disaster.

I'm just going to ignore your suggestion that the Preds are better off with Hutton than Rinne. No one would consider that a plan for long term success.

So if we accept your premise that our defense is partly responsible for many goals, what is the remedy? If Trotz can't get this group to play stingy in front of a weak goaltender, no one can.

If the defense isn't going to improve, find a netminder who doesn't give up tons of rebounds. Even if Pekka is germ free in 4-6 weeks, it will take him another 3-5 weeks to get back to the level of play we all expect. You're looking at playing with AHLers till the Olympic break.

I'll bet you a bottle of Jack straight from Lynchburg that the Preds don't have a winning record at the Olympic break with the current stable goalies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I'm just going to ignore your suggestion that the Preds are better off with Hutton than Rinne. No one would consider that a plan for long term success.

So if we accept your premise that our defense is partly responsible for many goals, what is the remedy? If Trotz can't get this group to play stingy in front of a weak goaltender, no one can.

If the defense isn't going to improve, find a netminder who doesn't give up tons of rebounds. Even if Pekka is germ free in 4-6 weeks, it will take him another 3-5 weeks to get back to the level of play we all expect. You're looking at playing with AHLers till the Olympic break.

I'll bet you a bottle of Jack straight from Lynchburg that the Preds don't have a winning record at the Olympic break with the current stable goalies.

4-4-1 with Peks, 4-2-1 with Hutton. A statement of fact is not necessarily a suggestion of how things would play out over a full season, but feel free to read in as much as you want.

If your suggested answer is a goalie who doesn't give up rebounds, that eliminates most guys left on the free agent pile at this point. Actually, it eliminated most veterans on the market this summer as well which partially explains the decision to go with Hutton.

Even Crispy noticed the defensive breakdowns last night. What I keep noticing is poor recognition and execution in our defensive zone. Guys aren't sticking with their man, aren't recognizing how the play is developing, and the result is repeated wide open chances. Last night we left Setoguchi and Jokinen alone in the slot. Earlier in this road trip it was Morris, Muzzin or the breakdowns leading to all four Avs goals on the rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad