Around the NHL: HOCKEY’S BACK BABY

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
My god they’re going through the best coyotes moments and I’ll never complain about being a Sabres fan again

That’s not true, I definitely will. But holy shit what a sad sack franchise.

What's gone on down in Arizona is downright shameful. Alex Meruelo shouldn't be allowed to run a roadside lemonade stand - much less a professional sport team - ever again.

As someone who lost one of their favorite teams less than a year ago (#BeautsForever), I sympathize with 'Yotes fans. Sabres fans have that franchise to thank for Teppo Numminen and Daniel Briere.
It sucks for the fans but Bettman gave them 15 years of runway and multiple different owners to figure it out. They got every chance and more.

Reactions: Dingo44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Full marks to Shane Doan going on both the Sportsnet and Bally broadcasts to talk about tonight as the last game for the Coyotes. He said he told Josh to make his own way. That really got me.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The Arizona broadcast talked a little about that in the 2nd intermission.

I really dislike the NHL as an organization.
Pegula has been a horrible owner but this clown is a million times worse. Apparently the guy tried to get an NBA team before he got the Yotes and they saw all the red flags and told him to bugger off.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Full marks to Shane Doan going on both the Sportsnet and Bally broadcasts to talk about tonight as the last game for the Coyotes. He said he told Josh to make his own way. That really got me.
Its actually isnt Bally, they are a Scripps broadcast and available on OTA

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Pegula has been a horrible owner but this clown is a million times worse. Apparently the guy tried to get an NBA team before he got the Yotes and they saw all the red flags and told him to bugger off.

The downside to no more Meruelo is Pegs doesn't have many more below him IMO.

Guenther is going to be such a good player. Arizona is so close and it's being ripped out of their long-suffering fans' hands.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
André Tourigny pointing out that the news got to the team and threw them off - finding out coincided with the start of their losing streak that started in January. They were 2 points out of the WC spot when that happened.

He also said that streak may have matured the team 3 years.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hearing Todd Walsh's story about after his mother passing, him being alone in her house in Rochester and he gets a call from then Sabre Teppo Numminen telling him he wanted to make sure he wasn't alone, he was driving up to Roch to take him to breakfast.

Last edited:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Will be very happy if the Red Wings miss (sorry MM!)
They used to be one of my favorite teams when they weren't in our division and had a core of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Lidstrom. It's interesting reading their fans board. A lot of blame being put on the shoulders of their veterans FA signings not showing up in big games. Shifting a losing culture into competence is not an easy thing to do!

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
They used to be one of my favorite teams when they weren't in our division and had a core of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Lidstrom. It's interesting reading their fans board. A lot of blame being put on the shoulders of their veterans FA signings not showing up in big games. Shifting a losing culture into competence is not an easy thing to do!
After they got the biggest FA bump while signing Kane pretty funny.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Salt Lake Sidewinders, anyone? I love alliterative team names, sidewinders apparently do reside in the southwest corner of Utah, and snakes are friggin scary.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

They went harder for UFA and vets, for sure. Raymond emerging is nice and Larkin continues to be a low key member of the most important player on a given team (their record without him is San Jose level bad or worse). 13 free agents though and not a lot of new blood percolating up - Berggren seems like he's bridling to get into an NHL lineup and I could see that being a delicate balance between fresh legs and returning vets. Same on their blueline where the upgrades to the guys they had are probably coming from within... but icing multiple young defensemen are not known for being the way to quick success.

Straight up cried. :cry:

I feel so bad for the fans. And I'm angry at the shysters and con men the league have trotted out as owners. How they allowed the huckster to clear his runway to doing this by sabotaging his arena lease and pushing the team to ASU. And that they went from "we're going to build an arena" to "hey, SLC!" in moments. Clearly that stuff was already worked up. Per Tourigny after the game last night, it was the news of the SLC sale that ripped through their lineup coinciding with their fall out of the playoff race. Not only did they decide to relocate, they did it when the team was actually close to no longer being the dumping ground the league has used it as for the last 10 years.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
They went harder for UFA and vets, for sure. Raymond emerging is nice and Larkin continues to be a low key member of the most important player on a given team (their record without him is San Jose level bad or worse). 13 free agents though and not a lot of new blood percolating up - Berggren seems like he's bridling to get into an NHL lineup and I could see that being a delicate balance between fresh legs and returning vets. Same on their blueline where the upgrades to the guys they had are probably coming from within... but icing multiple young defensemen are not known for being the way to quick success.

I feel so bad for the fans. And I'm angry at the shysters and con men the league have trotted out as owners. How they allowed the huckster to clear his runway to doing this by sabotaging his arena lease and pushing the team to ASU. And that they went from "we're going to build an arena" to "hey, SLC!" in moments. Clearly that stuff was already worked up. Per Tourigny after the game last night, it was the news of the SLC sale that ripped through their lineup coinciding with their fall out of the playoff race. Not only did they decide to relocate, they did it when the team was actually close to no longer being the dumping ground the league has used it as for the last 10 years.
This entire league need to have its collective mouth washed out with soap. The whole goddamn thing stinks. Reason number 47928562984 as to why the NHL blows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad