Around the NHL: HOCKEY’S BACK BABY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Minor Rule Changes​

Among a small handful of minor rule changes, the NHL’s GMs voted to send these recommendations to the league’s Competition Committee, which can then forward any changes on to be ratified by the Board of Governors:

• Coaches will now have the ability to challenge a minor penalty call when a puck is deflected out of play and when a player is high-sticked. A penalty must have been called on the play, and if successfully challenged, the penalty can be rescinded. But the coach better get it right. If the challenge is unsuccessful, the penalty will remain and an additional penalty will be added for unsuccessful challenge, resulting in a 5-on-3 disadvantage. There must be conclusive video evidence and the idea is to prevent incorrect calls for pucks that may have been re-directed off the boards or glass first, or in situations where there is “friendly fire” on a high-stick, when a player is hit in the face by his own teammate.
  • Goalies are added to the description in Rule 63.8, which manages game flow when a net is “accidentally” jarred loose during play. If a goaltender is determined to have accidentally knocked the net off while making a save, the goaltender’s team will lose the right to make a line change, and the opposing team will have choice of faceoff location in the attacking zone.

Boca Bytes​

One instant change for this season: Players will first receive a warning and then a minor penalty for sitting on the boards or hanging over the boards prior to making a line change. A linesman received a skate cut earlier this season from a player who left his skate at the top of the bench … Campbell said the GMs again discussed changing OT rules to prevent regrouping in the neutral zone, but that the group did not have much appetite to make a change. This season, 70 percent of games that make it to OT end in OT, which is a record high. They also noted that the ECHL moved to a 7-minute OT session, which produces a result in 75.6 percent of games this year, but felt it was too taxing for star players to lengthen the game … For offside review, the NHL plans to continue to be lenient on players entering the zone with clear control and possession, even if the puck is not currently on his stick at the moment his blades cross the blue line … Still to determine a consensus, but the NHL is proposing moving up morning skate times to 10:15 am for home teams and 11:15 am local time for visiting teams. These times have been 10:30 and 11:30 for decades for 7 o’clock starts …

:lol:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's not. It means work harder. Couts is just being a drama queen

“I think that’s more of a question for Torts and how Torts manages his minutes,” assistant coach Rocky Thompson said Tuesday when asked if Couturier’s limited ice time is due to time management or his performance. “I can’t get into the mind of our head coach that way. I think Coots has done a good job. He works extremely hard in practice and he’s trying to get himself better, without a doubt.”

That sure sounds like it is an issue with the head coach playing mind games and not being a clear communicator more than a player that was recently named captain being a drama queen.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

That sure sounds like it is an issue with the head coach playing mind games and not being a clear communicator more than a player that was recently named captain being a drama queen.
Agree, the assistant is gassing him up and Torts is knocking him back down. Either it's window dressing or there is a bigger issue around communicating expectations

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
It'll take decades of winning before Buffalo gets that call.
Yep, we're not getting the benefit of the doubt in calls anytime soon.

They need to work on getting through that and getting better. This includes making the other team take overly obvious penalties because you can't be stopped no matter what they do. This means not gliding through checks, hooks, or interferences. When you don't get a call, you don't turn/look to the ref, you work that much harder to get the puck back.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Hockey PDOcast doing a deep dive on Sam Reinhart in their latest episode. People who don’t like Sam should probably not listen because you will be rightfully insulted right off the bat.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

16. It sure sounds like Rod Brind’Amour is all but extended in Carolina. He has waited for his assistants to be taken care of. You will remember that, in 2021, Dean Chynoweth left for Toronto when he felt he could do better on the open market.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
That blows for the guy. Feels like they can still do a ceremonial thing where he picks the crew and location and does a ceremonial puck drop to acknowledge his time. Won’t be able to do one last game..but they can get him his acknowledgement

Reactions: Dingo44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Considering some of his previous suspension lengths, I'm wondering what he gets. I figured he'd get 2 or 3 but this opens up the door to a lot more.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Considering some of his previous suspension lengths, I'm wondering what he gets. I figured he'd get 2 or 3 but this opens up the door to a lot more.

I’m curious how the off-season plays into it. Friedman has been saying that DOPS is a major thing on the docket for owners and GMs this year. They are beyond frustrated with inconsistency from Parros. Letting Wilson off in 2021 was the start of it for many people. Given that Rempe got more than people expected the first time…and the criticism Parros has received for this specific player before…and a pending hard look into questioning his methods…Wilson might have just given Parros a free space to make a statement he failed to in the past. He might be getting a big book thrown at him.

Hell…Wilson and Parros’s weakness regarding him is a two paragraph passage on his Wikipedia page lol. which includes something I didn’t know…that Bettman had to step in with a lengthy suspension for him because Parros was going to let him off. With CTE right back in the headlines and a dangerous player that DOPS keeps trying to go soft on…it could be a perfect storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad