Around the NHL - Fun times for all in 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I was listening to the radio the other day and the analyst made a good point that ultimately while every team has their medical staff, players in the end have most of their control as to whether they play or not. So until that changes, this issue is probably going to go on with a lot of different teams.
This was even the follow up tweet to what a lot of people are reacting too. The final decision likely lasts with the player. If the guy is able to suit up and play it is very, very hard to just not play him if he really wants to. Or to not play him because you need to save him from himself, that's an NHLPA grievance in the waiting.

Really the only thing the Flames could do was just outright bench him and have him around the team, not on IR, but also just not playing. Like leading a horse to water, you need the player to want to help themselves as the final step to getting a guy fully healthy by taking away time he could play just to get fully healthy.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Obviously the player has the final say on if they can play but that doesn't mean the team A) has to play him B) has to play him in the same role they would play the healthy version of himself.

Reactions: super6646

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
The league should have some kind of trophy or special commemorative stick or something to present Kessel in his 1000th straight game. I know he's set the record now, but hitting 1000 straight is such a ridiculous thing, that I think the league should take the easy publicity, have some fun with it, and present Phil with something

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I was listening to the radio the other day and the analyst made a good point that ultimately while every team has their medical staff, players in the end have most of their control as to whether they play or not. So until that changes, this issue is probably going to go on with a lot of different teams.
I'm not sure that flies with what happened with the likes of Smid, Robidas, and Lupul. There are probably more examples those are the ones I remember. All 3 had injuries and were shutdown by the team even though the players thought they could still play. Lupul in particular was pretty vocal about it.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
The league should have some kind of trophy or special commemorative stick or something to present Kessel in his 1000th straight game. I know he's set the record now, but hitting 1000 straight is such a ridiculous thing, that I think the league should take the easy publicity, have some fun with it, and present Phil with something

Like give him an iron stick? It'd be one of a kind and not one to be offered again in the near future haha

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I'm not sure that flies with what happened with the likes of Smid, Robidas, and Lupul. There are probably more examples those are the ones I remember. All 3 had injuries and were shutdown by the team even though the players thought they could still play. Lupul in particular was pretty vocal about it.
A lot of that (from what I recall on Lupul) was getting an independent doctor to outright say he couldn't play. To sit Monahan down would either be convincing him he needed surgery early and to somehow legally coerce him into a procedure, or to get him to be deemed unplayable by an independent doc, and he clearly was able to play at a severely, severely reduced level. It's not just that the team shut himdown, he was confirmed as unplayable by the league.

The Flames only recourse would be to bench Monahan, have a dead cap hit on the roster, and essentially have one less roster spot just to try and force a guy into surgery. That would kill a guys desire to be on team, like Lupul, so even if you do in some way end up with Monahan healthy after he takes getting benched to heart, he's gone anyways. That's not an easy thing to suggest to a team for their alternate captain who some people thought would be the captain.

Frankly the thing to be upset about would be what we don't know happened behind closed doors. Did the Flames try and get him to get surgery? Did they openly commend him for his warrior lifestyle? We simply don't know, so throwing out conjecture on ways to ruin a relationship with a guy to force him into surgery doesn't seem all that condusive to real criticism of the team.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
We do know that we have heard Treliving on the record saying that it was extremely hard to keep Monahan out of the lineup because of how insistent he was to play in the past. We also know last season that Sutter relegated him to fourth line minutes to reduce the amount of time he was on the ice.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
There's a reason why I defend Monahan so much, A) he was never as bad as people think, B) the guy bled the Flaming C, he gave his body LITERALLY for this team, to an ultimate fault.

Yes, for better or worse he probably shouldn't have played in like half the games he ended up playing because of all his injuries, but the guy was a warrior and all social media ever did was hate on the guy for years. So compound his health, he can't sleep, he's always in pain, he's had countless cortisone shots, and for the most part all he sees on social media about him is negativity.
I never have and never will have a negative take on Monahan.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
There's a reason why I defend Monahan so much, A) he was never as bad as people think, B) the guy bled the Flaming C, he gave his body LITERALLY for this team, to an ultimate fault.

Yes, for better or worse he probably shouldn't have played in like half the games he ended up playing because of all his injuries, but the guy was a warrior and all social media ever did was hate on the guy for years. So compound his health, he can't sleep, he's always in pain, he's had countless cortisone shots, and for the most part all he sees on social media about him is negativity.
I never have and never will have a negative take on Monahan.
Absolutely this. I've been less vocal about it than you on here, but talking with others in public, I've always been big on Monahan. I still think the guys a stud. Maybe not a #1 center stud, but still a high-end #2 center (or even a top line winger who can take face-offs). Guy is a warrior through and through.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
We do know that we have heard Treliving on the record saying that it was extremely hard to keep Monahan out of the lineup because of how insistent he was to play in the past. We also know last season that Sutter relegated him to fourth line minutes to reduce the amount of time he was on the ice.
Sutter admitted he handled Monahan wrong. The team is 100% at fault, you can say Monahan wanted to play but literally every player does that this team had no backbone or long term thought ironically not just on the ice

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Have you guys seen the dressing rooms that the visiting teams have vs the Coyotes?
Man, I swear my kid dresses in better rooms! They have folding chairs to sit at, like how hard is it to put up a bench? LOL

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
I know the dressing room fiasco got heat, but this is kind of neat. Got the Jets Yotes on now. Everyone in the crowd was given a mullett to wear. Haha, a fun little touch. Big save Dave in for the Jets and Valimaki in for the Yotes of course. Looks like the opposite of an outdoor game. So intimate for the fans. Lots of standing room only up top which I don't think I'd like myself, but this looks like a fun spot to take in a game as a short term novelty. Embarrassing, hilarious and fun all at once.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Honestly, I don't know what the big deal is. Yeah it's not glamorous, but it's also not permanent. And if I were in Arizona, I'd go watch. There's no way I could justify getting lower bowl seats here. Also, I feel the Coyotes will have a new arena before we will.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Honestly, I don't know what the big deal is. Yeah it's not glamorous, but it's also not permanent. And if I were in Arizona, I'd go watch. There's no way I could justify getting lower bowl seats here. Also, I feel the Coyotes will have a new arena before we will.
It's almost cheaper to fly to Arizona to watch a game in the best seats there than to do the same in Calgary.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Well frankly it's embarrassing the "best league in the world" has a dressing room worse then my local rink.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

It's almost cheaper to fly to Arizona to watch a game in the best seats there than to do the same in Calgary.
Good luck on getting a couple of tickets though. 5000 seats and I believe 4600 are held by season ticket holders and the balance of 400 are for ASU students.
If you want great seats at a cheap price... fly to Ottawa. That rink is half empty most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad