Around the NHL - Episode XLXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Those deal in Tampa look reasonable except Sergachev. Sergachev has been a legitimate top 4 guys for them, and he still has potential to become a leigt #1 guy, but he hasn't played like that yet (not that he has the chance when Hedman is there). That deal has the potential to feel like an overpay really soon.

Makes Chabot's deal look like a bargain

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Isn't Matheson actually decent? Seems like a downgrade to me.

Petry is better but turns 35 in December and has 3 seasons left. But the reason why he is traded is that he wants to live in the USA for family reasons

They also traded their top prospect Ryan Poehling! Who they considered better than Norris and Pinto not that long ago... :huh:

Seriously, we need Montreal to be good this season. I really don't want them to get another top-3 pick. This is crucial

Reactions: Loach

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Nice way to structure the contracts. More up front and less later . Makes the contracts easier to move on from if that day arrives. Trade protection early vs late.

I wonder why they would agree to that from a player perspective. The trade protection part of it, I mean.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I wonder why they would agree to that from a player perspective. The trade protection part of it, I mean.

If you are wondering why they don't have trade protection at the start of the contract, I'm fairly certain that's because players can't until they reach the requirements of UFA.

Cernak will be 27 in May 2024, so July 1, 2024 he would have been a UFA. Cirelli will in July 15 2024 so he has to wait till the next season. Sergachev completes his 7th season at the end of 2024, his NTC starts July 1, 2024.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If you are wondering why they don't have trade protection at the start of the contract, I'm fairly certain that's because players can't until they reach the requirements of UFA.

Cernak will be 27 in May 2024, so July 1, 2024 he would have been a UFA. Cirelli will in July 15 2024 so he has to wait till the next season. Sergachev completes his 7th season at the end of 2024, his NTC starts July 1, 2024.

I mean going from full protection in the middle of the deal, to limited trade afterwards. If you managed to get complete trade protection by your UFA years, why partially give it up near the end of the contract?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Well, from a player perspective, both know that they aren't stars in this league. Both got set for life contracts...just sign here. Idk, we've seen things like Dzingle turning down 5*5 and ultimately losing big time. Signing for that kind of term is typically reserved for higher end players. If I'm either one, I'd put my name on a contract with that kind of financial value

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Curious why Pittsburgh felt the need to move Marino, but then acquire an RD like Petry who isn't head and shoulder above Marino. Maybe its to get rid of Matheson, but I don't think the Pens will be able to contend anymore

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
eventually we will know who is allegedly involved simply by them not releasing statements

For reference here is Timmin's statement

If I was uninvolved, I'd totally be talking to everyone else not involved and making a plan to each release statements that I'm not under investigation and had no involvement.

Batherson must be relieved he already got his contract out of the way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad