Around the NHL - Episode XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa

He looks pretty good out there; been playing on a couple of different lines though. One with Robinson and Foudy, and then Atkinson and I think Grigorenko? Not certain.

Columbus announcers keep raving about how Laine is going to "open up the ice" for Atkinson because of a previous, ostensibly similar (not in my opinion) dynamic with Panarin.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Laine is playing. And Dallas doesn’t care.
5-1 Dallas

They’re on fire

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Crazy how Bergevin/Habs lucked out on their acquisitions, players become so much better once they get in Montreal. So many of them : Petry, Chiarot, Toffoli, Edmundson, Byron, Danault, Tatar, Armia... Josh Anderson probably too.. Heck, Weber is going on 36 y/o, has had several injuries but is probably still as good as before, or at least even more reliable.

That's the effect of a great coaching staff...

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Crazy how Bergevin/Habs lucked out on their acquisitions, players become so much better once they get in Montreal. So many of them : Petry, Chiarot, Toffoli, Edmundson, Byron, Danault, Tatar, Armia... Josh Anderson probably too.. Heck, Weber is going on 36 y/o, has had several injuries but is probably still as good as before, or at least even more reliable.

The difference between the pro scouting of Ottawa and Montreal is unbelievable. Like everyone they pick up overachieves market value.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Also players with some miles left in them

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Yeah Julien has them playing way above their heads right now.

They just stomped the Canucks in 2 games straight, who just destroyed us 16-3 in our 3 game series.

Thursday and Saturday could be rough.

Reactions: cudi

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa

Would have been nice to get a guy like Edmunson instead of the shitters we are running out there on D right now

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Would have been nice to get a guy like Edmunson instead of the shitters we are running out there on D right now
Montreal over the past few years has focused on improving their D.
Their off season blows the Senators off season everyone was raving about away...

Reactions: Deku

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Moved the discussion to a more appropriate thread. Didn't have time to answer earlier but I wanted to quote the 2 posters below

Yeah they blew their wad to win while Their defense and goaltending,arent yet in decline...But having a them all over 30 means they likely will have a few lean years coming up soon

Bergevin is very patient, probably more than some fans would want but progressively worked on the roster, made the moves required and finally spent before Price, Weber, Petry, etc get "too old"

It seems that some people think that Montreal is in this situation because of good drafting but it is really NOT the case... They only have 4 drafted players in the lineup. Their drafting has sucked for a long time. The roster is basically all trades and UFA signings.

They are not close to "decline" but as I have talked about, Tatar, Danault, Armia and Kotkaniemi will need a new contract next season (but they are already against the cap) and Suzuki the following season. Tough choices will have to be made. And then you have other players that will continue to get older.

If we're looking at a 3-5 year window, you need to include Drouin (25), Anderson (26), Gallagher (28) and Toffoli (27) all of whom, with the exception of Drouin, are signed for at least 3 more seasons.

Either way, I certainly agree that we probably have a more impressive crop of U-25 names and prospects.

But the bulk of Montreal's roster isn't all that close to aging out, so I wouldn't expect them to go away anytime soon. In a division with Montreal, Toronto and Tampa - we're going to be in tough. Hopefully we can make the jump from having a lot of prospects to actually assembling a good NHL team in the next year or two, like Montreal has.

And yes, I predicted Montreal to be behind Toronto, Winnipeg and Calgary in the North. I also thought Matt Murray was a good acquisition and Stepan had some juice left in his tank. Shows how much I know.

I was not talking about their window when you replied to me, you are confounding me with another poster. I was simply comparing the youth. And yeah, it goes without saying that I was certainly not thinking about 27+ y/o players when talking about "youth", even if it's not "old" by any means. You can include Drouin (26 y/o in March) if you want but he's not that big of a piece. He's basically a Hoffman without the elite shot. Pretty shiny player though. I think he will be gone in the offseason as they need to make some cap space.

I also never said that the "bulk of Montreal's roster was close to aging out". This is what I have said just above when I quoted you

"All that being said, they might not go downhill too fast. "Older" players can still be useful in the right system, with a good mix of young players and an efficient leadership/coaching staff. In Montreal, vets become better when they get there. In Ottawa, it's the opposite."

So everything was already addressed, I'm just repeating. You probably mixed my posts with topshelf15

Finally this was my prediction on January 14th :

1. Montreal
2. Toronto
3. Vancouver
4. Winnipeg
5. Calgary
6. Edmonton
7. Ottawa

That's two players...

Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov, Anderson, Toffoli, Gallagher... they all have 5 good years left, at least. And in nets, Cayden Primeau is waiting in the wings and in 3-4 years, when he's 24-25, should be ready to step in.

Of course nothing is guaranteed, but they seem to have struck a pretty good balance in having a shot to win now while maintaining a bright long-term future.

As an Ottawa fan, I'm jealous.

Wow that's a quick change of heart

Canadian Division Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad