Around the NHL - Episode XLV III - BEAST MODE ANDY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Well, that seems like a given. we apparently offered him a raise, Wally thought it was 4-5 based on a solid source, though Duclair denied he was offered 4.25 x 3.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think he was shopping himself in that range initially though and had to settle for less when the openings around the league filled up. Can't say for sure, but it makes sense that a guy representing himself might misjudge the market and pass on resonable offers only to realize too late that he needs to adjust his ask.
I think the scenario you outlined is quite likely. Some people don't seem to acknowledge the impact that COVID had on league economics and contracts. If your a player representing yourself, and your anticipating & holding out hope that this is going to be a payday contract, your probably going to talk to several teams and that is a process that takes time.

Its kind of like the game of the musical chairs. When the music stops, you scramble and get to a chair as quickly as possible before there are no more chairs left. Ottawa could have had its roster established by the time this occurred, or maybe there was too much pride and/or bad blood (things were said during initial negotiations) to go back to team he had been playing for and that had made him an offer.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Well, that seems like a given. we apparently offered him a raise, Wally thought it was 4-5 based on a solid source, though Duclair denied he was offered 4.25 x 3.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think he was shopping himself in that range initially though and had to settle for less when the openings around the league filled up. Can't say for sure, but it makes sense that a guy representing himself might misjudge the market and pass on resonable offers only to realize too late that he needs to adjust his ask.

But for us we could have just taken him to arbitration. Then it's just a one year deal. Who cares? Then you can flip him at the deadline, when his cap hit is reduced, if he's "not in the long term plans" as some have said. To just not like his salary ask and throw up your hands and walk away is the bizarre part.

Also, if he was never in the long term plans why wasn't he dealt at last year's deadline? And why was he apparently offered a multi-year contract?

Reactions: OD99

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
But for us we could have just taken him to arbitration. Then it's just a one year deal. Who cares? Then you can flip him at the deadline, when his cap hit is reduced, if he's "not in the long term plans" as some have said. To just not like his salary ask and throw up your hands and walk away is the bizarre part.

Also, if he was never in the long term plans why wasn't he dealt at last year's deadline? And why was he apparently offered a multi-year contract?

I think we wanted to keep him, but we're worried about the potential arbitration award. A 1 year deal can't be walked away from if it's under 4.7 or somewhere around there. There was still a lot of uncertainty about the economics going forward when that decision needed to be made, maybe we could only do a backloaded deal with term like we did with Dadonov.

I thought we should have qualified him but it's possible Dorion was hoping we could sign him for less than the arbitration comparables suggested he'd get, and he balked.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I love me a good conspiracy theory! The more tinfoil the better.

Apparently we're also supposed to be outraged because Edmonton gets the correct number of powerplays when they play us, because we're a small market.

I'm like:

giphy.gif

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Edmonton fans have gone off the deep end when it comes to losing to the Canadiens.
If they are complaining about the constant interference from the Habs that went uncalled then they have a point.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If they are complaining about the constant interference from the Habs that went uncalled then they have a point.

It’s one thing to have a badly reffed game.

It’s another to assert that it’s part of a campaign on the part of the league and major media to ensure that the Habs and their large market make the playoffs.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

It’s another to assert that it’s part of a campaign on the part of the league and major media to ensure that the Habs and their large market make the playoffs.
I see. I only saw your comment and not Oiler fans comments.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Vrana with a hat trick tonight. Yzerman is working his magic.

I had no idea why the Caps had to pay that much on top of Vrana to get Mantha... I mean, Vrana is an excellent player

It could have been just the 2nd round pick (so no 1st) and I would have been "fair trade"

That conspiracy could be easily debunked by the fact that the Habs had missed the playoffs 3 times out of 4 seasons and were going to miss them for a 4th time in 5 years before Covid gave them an unexpected opportunity (but at the same time, missed on the chance to get Lafreniere lol)

Reactions: JungleBeat

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Detroit is currently getting outshot 30-3, but are winning 1-0 :laugh:
30 shots in 25 minutes of gameplay is pretty impressive for Dallas too

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Montreal is not a very good team. Weren’t people calling them the best team in the North earlier this year. Bergevin has made them slow.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
As an interesting aside, “appeal to authority” is a heavily contested logical fallacy.

Many support the idea that appealing to authority has merit and doesn’t weaken the argument, while others feel that appealing to authority does.

It does make sense on the one hand, because what the hell is the point of pretending to have professionals in any field if their opinions don’t carry weight. But how much weight?

It’s an interesting one that get thrown out here often as though it was clear cut, and universally accepted in academia, when that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So weird seeing EK is #7 in team scoring in SJ and Balcers is #8. A stat that shows how far EK’s game has fallen more then any other. Ryan Donato (career high 23 points last year) is ahead of EK in team scoring. SJ is 1-8-1 in their last 10 games. What a pity that elite hockey brain doesn’t have the legs to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad