Around the NHL Discussion - Part IV

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I said after the first that I thought that Eakins would be gone before the next Oilers home game, I'm not sure he makes it past tomorrow. If he stays until the end of the season, then they'll be doing it simply to tank and then throw money at Babcock.

I wouldn't blame a top prospect making demands to the Oilers at this point. I'd want nothing to do with that organisation unless there are sweeping changes, beyond just coaching.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I've put it off now, was it a clean hit?

Draisaitl obviously has plenty of talent, but he shouldn't be in the NHL at this point. Even more so if you don't have anyone willing to stand up for him. They just learn nothing.

The comments from Perron are pretty telling, he obviously wants out.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Draisaitl obviously has plenty of talent, but he shouldn't be in the NHL at this point. Even more so if you don't have anyone willing to stand up for him. They just learn nothing.

Nope, he got smoked from behind into the boards by Rozsival.

Totally agree that he doesn't belong in he NHL. He's immensely talented but the train wreck that is the organization and his skating should have made the decision to put him in juniors a slam dunk. I have no idea what they were thinking.

What did Perron say?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
We keep talking about how much better we are this year, but for me it's the same record we had last year

It's not better. It's turnovers. It's (trying) one-on-threes. It's jumping up in the play for no reason. Something has to change. When you are making those mistakes, something needs to happen. It's mistakes we were doing last year.

It's about a full sixty. We need to have accountability from coaches and teammates.

More than a little frustrated at the lack of progress.

Draisaitl is in the NHL for the simple reason that they didn't want to pay the price for a centre in the market. So instead they'll risk hampering the career of one of their top prospects. I don't think it is possible for the Oilers front office to get enough criticism. Should make us all even more thankful for what JD done here.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

What comments?

Apr 28, 2013
St. Louis
I feel awful that Perron is stuck on that pathetic excuse for a hockey team. His playing style certainly drove me nuts at times when he was here, but he's almost always impressive whenever I catch part of an Oiler game. He competes, goes to the dirty areas of the ice, plays a two hundred foot game...pretty much the exact opposite of every other guy on that team. He deserves better.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
I wonder if Armstrong has to chip in a few bucks to Perron's favorite charity or something...you know...to assuage the guilt for sending a rink-rat to hockey hell.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
He should demand a trade. Get Pittsburgh to give up one of their millions of D prospects and put him alongside Crosby.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
He should demand a trade. Get Pittsburgh to give up one of their millions of D prospects and put him alongside Crosby.

I typically don't think much of players doing that, but watching Edmonton I couldn't blame any player who does.
That'd be like a player demanding a trade out of the Raiders in the NFL or the Marlins most years in the MLB. You're not getting out of there because you don't have the patience or are a primadonna, it's because those are the kinds of morass that sucks away enjoyment of what you do. Career suicide that you didn't control.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I really wanted Perron gone, but I feel bad for him going from a contender to a team that looks like it will never improve.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I watched Perron's interview and he said something needed to change probably at least three times. Like he wants Eakins to be fired or a trade. I'm sure he can't stand losing all the time.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
And he lived through a successful rebuild, so I could only imagine what's going through his head living through that gong-show. After his Blues experiences, he's probably better to run the Edmonton rebuild than the actual management in Edmonton.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I watched Perron's interview and he said something needed to change probably at least three times. Like he wants Eakins to be fired or a trade. I'm sure he can't stand losing all the time.

Yeah, out of everything he said the one thing that I can't help but focus on is, "We need to have accountability from coaches and teammates". It looks like he is calling out the coaching, and not being very subtle either.

He should be getting viewed as a leader on that team, they'd be crazy to trade him.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I typically don't think much of players doing that, but watching Edmonton I couldn't blame any player who does.
That'd be like a player demanding a trade out of the Raiders in the NFL or the Marlins most years in the MLB. You're not getting out of there because you don't have the patience or are a primadonna, it's because those are the kinds of morass that sucks away enjoyment of what you do. Career suicide that you didn't control.

Totally agree. I hate when players hold out for a bigger contract in the NFL(when they already have a contract, not simply holding out like Schwartz or O'Reilly) or when they demand a trade, but when the team has shown to be incompetent for so long I think it's warranted. I wanted Steven Jackson to demand a trade out of St. Louis for so long because he was wasting his best years here. I love the guy, but he deserved better, as does Perron.

That said, they would be insane to trade Perron. He's the only one showing a little tenacity and determination. They need to build around guys like Perron, not ship them off because they rightfully expect better from a group of professionals. Losing becomes toxic, and there has been a lot of losing in Edmonton for quite a while. Guys like Hall, Eberle, RNH etc. have no idea what it takes to be a winning team in the NHL. I know this is said constantly, but it's reality: They need to be completely gutted from top to bottom. Start fresh with an entirely new group. Even if they get someone like McDavid or Eichel, what good is it going to do with that group?

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Perron has 2 goals this season, it's good that he's speaking up and calling the team out but the guy clearly needs to be better as well. I've watched several Oilers games and peruse the Oilers boards periodically and it seems that Perron has reverted to old habits which lead to his departure here. He's holding on to the puck way too often and trying to do too much himself. Granted, he is one of the few players that is showing some grit and tenacity which I find to be one of his most admirable traits.

Oilers should be looking to trade Eberle/Yakupov before anyone else. I'd still take Eberle on this team but I find it very unlikely as MacT is looking for a top flight center which aren't the words I would use to describe Berglund.

I really do feel for the Oilers, Doug Weight was my favorite player growing up and I developed a fondness for the team as a youngster. It must be so demoralizing to be a fan of that team for the last 7-8 years, the expectations for success are non-existent.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I feel for some Oilers fans. But then there were plenty who were gleeful about their great ability to suck, thinking that all these top picks were going to lead to a new dynasty.

And this is Edmonton, not Toronto, Montreal or New York. It is small enough, and passionate enough, that fans should be able to force change. Stop buying tickets, stop buying merchandise and force the ownership to make the changes that you've been crying out for over the past 2+ years. You continue to pay your money, you are part of the problem IMO.

There isn't any possible reason for Kevin Lowe to still be employed. The man is an arrogant idiot. As long as the ownership remain committed to people like him, then nothing will change.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
There isn't any possible reason for Kevin Lowe to still be employed. The man is an arrogant idiot. As long as the ownership remain committed to people like him, then nothing will change.

How dare you sir.
Kevin Lowe has won the second most cups of anyone working in hockey today.
I'd say he knows a little bit about winning.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Edmonton firing their goalie coach the other day is working out for them already...

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
According to McKenzie Perron could be reuniting with JD and Jarmo soon, rumored to be centered around Anisimov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad