Around The NHL Discussion 2019/20 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Edmonton were in an awkward place with Kassian, but $3.2m for four years looks like one of those awkward contracts that they typically saddle themselves with. He was getting scratched at points last season and now he's put up some points next to McDavid they want to sign him for four years when he is 30 next year.

Just when they were escaping the Gagner, Benning, Manning, Granlund, Gryba & Brodziak deals after this season.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Edmonton were in an awkward place with Kassian, but $3.2m for four years looks like one of those awkward contracts that they typically saddle themselves with. He was getting scratched at points last season and now he's put up some points next to McDavid they want to sign him for four years when he is 30 next year.

Just when they were escaping the Gagner, Benning, Manning, Granlund, Gryba & Brodziak deals after this season.
Yep. Are we surprised? Holland handed out many terrible contracts his last few years in Detroit.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
More on the playoffs. In the East there are 10 teams left in the race (realistically) for 8 spots.

The West is more of a mess. I wouldn’t say the Wild are decisively out of it yet, but they’re close and have a couple games in hand. But I’ll draw my line there and say there are still 12 teams with reasonable shots. It’s a bit of a surprise to see how close Chicago and Nashville are. This chase toward the end is going to get intense.

I don’t know if the Blues can hold on for the division, but they don’t have to sweat just getting in. And if they DO win the division they’ll face a team that has been in must-win mode for months.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

I guess technically Ken Holland was an upgrade over Peter Chiarelli, but Holland isn't someone that I see having success building a team in the cap era. The Wings organization top to bottom went downhill under his guidance, and you can tie the fall almost directly back to the implementation of the salary cap. It's a lot easier to build a winning team when you can outspend 80% of the franchise in the league.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I guess technically Ken Holland was an upgrade over Peter Chiarelli, but Holland isn't someone that I see having success building a team in the cap era. The Wings organization top to bottom went downhill under his guidance, and you can tie the fall almost directly back to the implementation of the salary cap. It's a lot easier to build a winning team when you can outspend 80% of the franchise in the league.
Yeah, Holland is one of the more overrated GM's. They spent a ton in the pre-cap era, and after the cap, they relied on finding late-round gems, and once that dried up, they have been a mess.

Reactions: ezcreepin
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Boston just announced Backes is not going to Providence. Almost sounded like they’re trying to trade him.

Makes me sad to see him have fallen off so quickly. The guy was a warrior for years for us.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

the aav isn't bad, but it's probably 1 or 2 years too long

he's a fan favorite, does okay as plug in on mcdavid's line, and can offer that protection/physical presence.

scottyajak

Apr 14, 2019
I'm sure it's just coincidence, but the timing of the deal makes it look like they gave him a nice contract for ragdolling tkachuk.

Reactions: BlueOil

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

Lucic 2.0, albeit at a much more reasonable AAV.

I don't see this contract looking favourable at all in years 3 & 4.

Though, it might look semi-respectable next year if Benson isn't knocking on the door for a roster spot.

hockensm77

Feb 21, 2015
Yes!

and Panthers-Lightning
Leafs-Bruins

Penguins-Flyers
Capitals....eh, I got nothing. Any of Carolina, Islanders or Blue Jackets will do.

Capitals and Carolina actually have a good little rivalry going this year after last year's playoffs. I think that would be the best in that sense...

Reactions: BlueDream

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Feel sorry for Hertl personally but I'm thrilled for Sens fans after all the gloating Avs fans did last year getting the Sens high 1st Rd pick. Beautiful that it worked out so well for them. They dodged out from under giving EK a horrible contract and get rewarded with a high 1st.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Didn’t Hertl blow out his ACL as a rookie too? Is it the same knee?

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Putting aside any animous between fanbases, I feel terrible for Hertl. Such a likeable guy and extremely talented. Finally has a breakout year after struggling thru injuries early in his career and not THIS. Total bummer.

I loved seeing this interaction between him and the media about Kopitar at the all star game:

Andersson is a right handed shot, so his salary might be inflated a little bit. But Andersson and Pettersson are both playing 3 minutes more than Dunn, and I'm sure Dunn is playing more time on the pp than them, but I can't find those stats. The former players seem to be better at blocking shots and play more than Dunn, so I'd assume he's going to get less just based on that and his play earlier in the year. It'll be a short contract though if they do decide to go that route.
Good site for special teams TOI:

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/stats?season=2019&category=ICE+TIME&group=1&time=0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad