Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Strange deal for Chicago. Thought Maata was slow and injury prone and generally not very good?
I don't get it either. There is talk that they are in on Panarin and they are looking to be compeitive next season, but Määttä doesn't help that. Pittsburgh getting a player who can contribute while dumping that contract is a win for them.

Reactions: Blueston

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
maata gives them top 4 dmen minutes and we all know chicago can use all the help they can get on the blue line

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
maata gives them top 4 dmen minutes and we all know chicago can use all the help they can get on the blue line
If they are expecting him to be a quality top-4 defenseman then they are likely going to end up disappointed. He was terrible this season, which is why he was a healthy scratch in the playoffs.

Yeah, his overall play has been erratic over the past few years... but his laborious skating would make me lean more towards last season being closer to the average than 2017/18.

Reactions: Blueston

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If they are expecting him to be a quality top-4 defenseman then they are likely going to end up disappointed. He was terrible this season, which is why he was a healthy scratch in the playoffs.

Yeah, his overall play has been erratic over the past few years... but his laborious skating would make me lean more towards last season being closer to the average than 2017/18.
Their pro scouting seems well above average. I won’t be surprised if this looks better by mid-season.

Reactions: Alklha

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis

LOL

"It's gross. Garbage players, garbage fans."

Not everyone there was against us. The funny posts were the ones not even related to hockey.

All I could think of was these same angry Preds fans leading the "You Suck" chants. Should be priceless hearing them yell that at the Champion Blues next season.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
LOL

"It's gross. Garbage players, garbage fans."

Not everyone there was against us. The funny posts were the ones not even related to hockey.

All I could think of was these same angry Preds fans leading the "You Suck" chants. Should be priceless hearing them yell that at the Champion Blues next season.
The "ignorant fan" comments where the best. Easy there not that old fanbase.

Now that the Blues have won, none of that bothers me. Much easier to just ignore it and move on

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I hope the Leafs end their drought next for Steve Dangle.

Also, the absolute hilarity it would cause on these boards and the effect on the hockey world. :laugh:

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I’m impressed with how many Jets fans have been classy about congratulating the Blues.

I think the Thorburn thing helped that along a lot. The Blues/Jets series never got THAT heated, and they took a guy who a lot in that fanbase were fond of and not only had him raise a cup 4th, but also helped his family out.

Also, we aren't Nashville or something.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
If the Jets make a couple minor moves but can keep that core together i think they have as good of a shot as anyone next year. I honestly was most afraid of that series, i thought they had the most talent in the West, they just couldnt put it all together when it mattered most. Sounds like ghost of Blues playoff past.

Reactions: shmotz

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
If the Jets make a couple minor moves but can keep that core together i think they have as good of a shot as anyone next year. I honestly was most afraid of that series, i thought they had the most talent in the West, they just couldnt put it all together when it mattered most. Sounds like ghost of Blues playoff past.
It also depends on which Hellebuyck shows up. The slightly above average one from last year or the Vezina finalist from the year before

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014

change of scenery can help any player, maata is no different.

pens get another forward to play around with and cap space
hawks get top 4 dman

i dont see this as a bad trade by any means.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Trying to figure out the Niskanen-Gudas trade. It looks like Philly is moving away from the "Broad Street Bullies" identity. And what is with Washington's preoccupation with toughness? Wilson, Orpik and now Gudas on the same team. Maybe they are trying to set a record for suspensions? :sarcasm:

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Sharks keeping EK on a gigantic contract which has a high probability to blow up in there faces.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
Sharks keeping EK on a gigantic contract which has a high probability to blow up in there faces.

Yeah, that contract's going to start to bite them after about 3-4 years. I get that he's a premier player, but with his age and injury history, that could eat up a lot of cap space.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Trying to figure out the Niskanen-Gudas trade. It looks like Philly is moving away from the "Broad Street Bullies" identity. And what is with Washington's preoccupation with toughness? Wilson, Orpik and now Gudas on the same team. Maybe they are trying to set a record for suspensions? :sarcasm:
They created cap space to resign Hagelin with the trade. And not sure Orpik will return. They are pretty nice balance of size and speed.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Yeah, that contract's going to start to bite them after about 3-4 years. I get that he's a premier player, but with his age and injury history, that could eat up a lot of cap space.
It's a massive gamble from the get go, we all saw how much an injury that affected skating ability affected JBo for years, the Sharks need to be absolutely sure that he is 100% before they start playing him next season.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I don't get it either. There is talk that they are in on Panarin and they are looking to be compeitive next season, but Määttä doesn't help that. Pittsburgh getting a player who can contribute while dumping that contract is a win for them.

My guess is Quenneville will bring Panarin to Florida.

Reactions: Alklha

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Karlsson at ~$11.5m is a good deal if he is healthy. They are going to have $26.5m committed to their top-3 defensemen next season. Burns is 34, Vlasic is 32 and Karlsson is 29, and they are all locked up for at least the next 6 years. That could be really ugly for them in 3 years.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I would not count on EK being healthy on a consistant basis. Sharks are just digging a hole and I love it. Weve seen that if his mobility isnt 100% he's as much of a liability as he is an asset.

Reactions: DangledUpinBlues

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
I would not count on EK being healthy on a consistant basis. Sharks are just digging a hole and I love it. Weve seen that if his mobility isnt 100% he's as much of a liability as he is an asset.
What I'm worried about is Pietro asking for that kind of money. We need to resign him soon and with him along with Schenn, we could be in cap hell soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad