Around The NHL Discussion 2018-2019 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
What I'm worried about is Pietro asking for that kind of money. We need to resign him soon and with him along with Schenn, we could be in cap hell soon.
EK65 is not worth that money, especially at his age and injury concerns. EK is better then Petro, so there's no way I'd consider to pay him that money. If it was that or walk, then I'd tell him he's likely to go on the trade block. I love what these guys did....but contracts cant get out of hand. 8.5m is the top range for Petro imo

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
EK65 is not worth that money, especially at his age and injury concerns. EK is better then Petro, so there's no way I'd consider to pay him that money. If it was that or walk, then I'd tell him he's likely to go on the trade block. I love what these guys did....but contracts cant get out of hand. 8.5m is the top range for Petro imo

that EK contract is going to be an joke in years 3 through 8, man he was already loosing a step. I posted this in the trade forum.

8 years for a 29 year old guys whose game is built on speed and has shown signs of lost speed, I hope it works out because I have never dislike the sharks but I have a bad feeling about this

That being said if it brings just one cup it will be worth it, if not I think a lot of Shark fans will look at this deal, time will tell

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What I'm worried about is Pietro asking for that kind of money. We need to resign him soon and with him along with Schenn, we could be in cap hell soon.
I think we release some dead weight first like Allen's + Steen's contracts.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
sharks will regret this worse than the rangers do now about shattenkirk

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
$8.5m is going to be the bottom range, unless he is willing to take a really significant discount. Ekman-Larsson signed for $8.25m a year ago, adjust for the increased cap and that is $8.6m+ this summer. Pietrangelo is unquestionably better than Ekman-Larsson.

Pietrangelo might not have the individual award, but Doughty still isn't a terrible comparison. He got $11m a year ago, which is the ~$11.5m Karlsson got when adjusted for the cap increase. Karlsson might be better, but his injury issues will have impacted the deal he got.

I'm still expecting that it will probably be a number beginning with 9, but his agent has an argument for more.

As for trading him, he has a full NTC and we'd be trading him from a position of pretty significant weakness.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
$8.5m is going to be the bottom range, unless he is willing to take a really significant discount. Ekman-Larsson signed for $8.25m a year ago, adjust for the increased cap and that is $8.6m+ this summer. Pietrangelo is unquestionably better than Ekman-Larsson.

Pietrangelo might not have the individual award, but Doughty still isn't a terrible comparison. He got $11m a year ago, which is the ~$11.5m Karlsson got when adjusted for the cap increase. Karlsson might be better, but his injury issues will have impacted the deal he got.

I'm still expecting that it will probably be a number beginning with 9, but his agent has an argument for more.

As for trading him, he has a full NTC and we'd be trading him from a position of pretty significant weakness.
I'd argue Arizona needing to overpay OEL to stay there. Not exactly a hot spot for UFAs. I did forget about his NTC, but Armstrong needs to draw the line in the sand or the team wont have the cap space to stay competitive(over exaggeration but you get my point)

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis

I am less worried about the amount for Petro but more if he wants 8 years also, lol

EK might be worth 11.5m for 3 maybe 4 years but the rest of the contract is going to be horrible. EK's games is speed, hes had multiple lower body injuries already and how many 38 year old players do we see still moving fast out there. If we can get Petro to take 9-10 for 5 years it would be fine with me. Petro's game is way better suited to play in later ages and he will still be a really good player at 36 IMO

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
A small quibble, I know, but I wish people would type “re-sign” as opposed to “resign”.

It might not seem like a big deal, but it does concern me when I read through posts quickly and see all of these fans who anxiously wish for Pietrangelo to resign with the Blues.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I think Karlsson probably has 4 years left where he's possibly worth that. If San Jose gets a Cup within that span, nobody will regret it. We all know how much just getting one is worth.

But if they don't, in 2023, 2024, they're going to be in a REALLY bad spot with a bunch long term contracts tied up in some old guys without the rewards to show for it.

Chicago is seeing the payment for their run....but they got three cups for it so worth it. Will San Jose? Time will tell

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
That contract is likely bad at some point, but the alternative is letting go a great player and possibly not having the assets to get over the hump while also being too good to justify a rebuild. They aren't young enough for a retool. It's a tough place to be in as a GM, but it's possible the downside of not signing him is worse than the downside of the contract going sour.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
That contract is likely bad at some point, but the alternative is letting go a great player and possibly not having the assets to get over the hump while also being too good to justify a rebuild. They aren't young enough for a retool. It's a tough place to be in as a GM, but it's possible the downside of not signing him is worse than the downside of the contract going sour.
They got pot-committed when they gave Vlasic and Burns monster contracts. This was their year and they thankfully fell short. Without EK they have cap issues and probably weren't contenders. Now maybe they are contenders. But they have massive cap issues and need to sign Hertl (blossoming star) and Pavelski is unsigned too. And the EK contract (as well as Vlasic and maybe Burns) gonna look real ugly long before it is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad