OT: Around the NHL: Cernak for Conn Smythe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
But the team probably isn't a Fleury away from being a Cup contender, so I don't get the logic here. If the team's goal is to make the second round, then yes, Fleury would be an improvement over Jarry this year. But so would many goalies.

If the Penguins want to bring Fleury back, I wouldn't find it a baffling decision or be upset about it, but I don't really understand why people clamor for it other than for nostalgic purposes.

They're not a cup contender regardless of what decisions they make in net, so that's the point I was making there.

People complain about adding Fleury because "he chokes in big games!" as if the rest of the roster outside of goaltending is anywhere even close to cup caliber. If this roster was cup caliber, I'd totally get that comment because Fleury does have a (well deserved) reputation of choking in big games. But this team? They're lucky if they even get to "big games".

Why are you acting like Jarry and Fleury are the only options lol?

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm all for ditching Jarry and bringing in someone like Lehner. I'm just talking about the realistic options :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I would fight the Fleury thing harder but like Empo keeps saying... this team isn't doing shit except keeping the seats warm for the eventual implosion and lottery picks so who cares?

Signing Fleury would actually line up perfectly with their "what me worry?" approach. They "fix" their one and only problem limiting them (Vezina winner!) and really, REALLY scratch that nostalgia itch for a big ol segment of the fanbase (Big smile! Everyone's favorite! Stay in your f***ing net!). Everyone will be so busy rubbing one out over having the guy back that they won't even care when they are dumped immediately in the first round in like 5 games.

So yeah get that paperwork sent over, already. Why the hell not.

EDIT: Completely serious side note... dude absolutely deserved the Vezina this year and good on him for it.

Last edited:

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Wow, what a coincidence that Toews announces he's doing better and back on the ice just as the investigation into the Blackhawks' sexual abuse scandal really starts to ramp up! And wow, another coincidence--our returning hero says he didn't know about the abuse and he's real mad that two of his sexually-abused teammates made it sound like he did know! But hey, don't worry. Toews knows it's a "tough situation."

I'm glad he's feeling better but spare me.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Wow, what a coincidence that Toews announces he's doing better and back on the ice just as the investigation into the Blackhawks' sexual abuse scandal really starts to ramp up! And wow, another coincidence--our returning hero says he didn't know about the abuse and he's real mad that two of his sexually-abused teammates made it sound like he did know! But hey, don't worry. Toews knows it's a "tough situation."

I'm glad he's feeling better but spare me.
It's nothing but leadership to get pissed at your teammates for speaking up about sexual assault.

What a mystery as to why it takes years for this stuff to be made public, whereas sometimes victims stay silent forever. Weird, guess we'll never know.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
"I definitely didn't know. Nobody knew. Maybe some people knew but like, most didn't. Or we didn't talk about it. Well, I definitely didn't know. I'm annoyed that word got out. This organization had things handled, as you can tell by the way that summer played out, and the accused then went on to assault a 17-year old kid due in large part to this organization keeping silent about the previous assaults. But, I mean, c'mon guys. Just shut up already."

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
I still find it hilarious that there are Penguins fans that are still venomously opposed to re-acquiring Fleury. The dude is now a Vezina winner and a lock for the HHoF, but people here don't want him because he has a history of blunders in the playoffs. As if this team, who has lost in the 1st round for 3 straight years, is somehow anywhere close to a cup contender :laugh:

Fleury has made 5 cup finals appearances over his career. That's probably more series that Tristan Jarry will ever have as a starting goalie in the playoffs.

And to add, I also have no clue why there's such a large portion of hockey fans who try to downplay his results. The dude has won literally every reasonable award that can be expected out of a HoF goalie.

Guess most of us have PTSD from watching Fleury in the first half of his career then. You should stick to crappy trade proposals :laugh:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
MAF is a substantial upgrade over Jarry or DeSmith. It's not even really debatable. Whether that translates to more success on a team with a good number of glaring flaws, especially in the post season where MAF has a history of stumbling, is another thing entirely. But strictly in a goalie vs. goalie sense, MAF is in another league from the guys we currently employ.

Doesn't mean I want him back. Doesn't mean I'm stoked to read the constant tsunami of crap from MAF's weirdo cult of fans. But if MAF came back at 50% retained, we'd be in a better situation in terms of our goaltending. Again, it's not even really a discussion. Luckily, I don't see it happening realistically, even if the organization would like it to. Vegas wants to clear salary and we absolutely need 50% retained, so it'd require a third team to retain 50% of MAF's cap hit for futures we don't have or don't want to part with. Too much needs to happen for it to be a realistic scenario, imo.

Breathe a sigh of relief.

Reactions: EightyOne

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't get why so many think this team has no chance. We were competitive and likely could have beaten the Isles if we had decent goaltending, and they went to game 7 of the semis. It's like people made up their mind that the Islanders suck so the Pens must suck, and then ignore that the Islanders clearly don't actually suck.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't get why so many think this team has no chance. We were competitive and likely could have beaten the Isles if we had decent goaltending, and they went to game 7 of the semis. It's like people made up their mind that the Islanders suck so the Pens must suck, and then ignore that the Islanders clearly don't actually suck.
Personally, it's because our forwards (Geno and Carter aside) were shit, and have been dogshit for 3 or 4 years straight come playoff time, and you're not making it very far when Sid's averaging 2pts a series, and guys like Jake, Rust and McCann are constant no-shows in recent years.

And Sullivan's ego constantly torpedoing things is just the nice little garnish on top.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I simply don't like the Pens chances because they were already going to be fighting an uphill battle at this stage of the core's career and seem content to, well... do nothing. Would be one thing if everything was coming up roses besides that last final push to get over the top or whatever. But the fact is they have flamed out in the first round for years, now and their posture largely seems to be "who cares?"

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I simply don't like the Pens chances because they were already going to be fighting an uphill battle at this stage of the core's career and seem content to, well... do nothing. Would be one thing if everything was coming up roses besides that last final push to get over the top or whatever. But the fact is they have flamed out in the first round for years, now and their posture largely seems to be "who cares?"
I think one more run can be salvaged, but it's gonna take major surgery and like you said, the overall sense you get as a fan based on what we've heard is "Yeah, things are fine. We're gonna play it out."

You replace the likes of Jake, Rust, McCann with some combination of JT Miller, Hyman, Coleman and Bennett, find a taker for Jarry and get MAF at 50%, and you replace Ceci with a more physical bottom pairing guy to play alongside POJ? Odds still aren't great, but I'd at least commend them for trying to get one more run out of the core before the gas tank is completely and totally empty.

Practically speaking, that's an insane number of moves, and big ones, that need to happen and like we talked about, a FO/ownership group that seem entirely happy to float along the lazy river until the big three hang 'em up.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean I'm not gonna shit in anyone's punchbowl... I hope I'm wrong. But I don't think I'm being unreasonable. There are far more lack of results than results and not for a limited sample size, anymore.
Even Geno, who put forth a heroic effort on one leg, hasn't exactly been a stud in the playoffs since the last Cup. He had a PPG pace the year we lost to the Caps on their way to the Cup, but even with his performance this spring, he's still <1 PPG for the last three trips.

It's more than just Jarry, or Sully, or any single thing. It's a big combination of a lot of things, some of which are pretty glaring (and not limited to goaltending).

Reactions: Tom Hanks

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah and I mean speaking of Malkin... dude is in the beginning stages of recovering from his second major knee surgery at like 35. So there's another reason to not exactly be bullish about next season and onwards.

But again... I'm not trying to tell anyone how to think. I remember saying the same stuff back in like '15 but uh... that was a long time ago, now...

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah and I mean speaking of Malkin... dude is in the beginning stages of recovering from his second major knee surgery at like 35. So there's another reason to not exactly be bullish about next season and onwards.

But again... I'm not trying to tell anyone how to think. I remember saying the same stuff back in like '15 but uh... that was a long time ago, now...
Yep. Big difference between assuming the window was closed with a 27/28 year old core versus a 34/35 year old core, especially with as many issues with the supporting cast now as back then.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Off topic; but this draft is super weird, and I hope we find a way to add a couple 2nd/3rd rounders. There will be gems that fall because of the Covid-related stuff (lack of in-person scouting, a year of missing development).

But this kid Power being the consensus #1 pick, everything I've seen/read about him is... Pretty mediocre? :laugh: Like, the kind of guy you land late in the 1st or early in the 2nd, not 1OA.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad