Around the NHL: Bye bye, Lavy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
So if things stay this bad in NY... and Lundqvist is a FA next year... and it's the last year of Fleury's contract....

:scared::scared::scared:

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Their board (or most of it) is in full melt-down mode. Fire AV, Fire Slats, Trade Henrik and Staal while you can still get value. :laugh: And I thought we were bad when losing. If nothing else a season with games like this does increase the likelihood that Henrik leaves. Still not likely in general, but more likely than before. Will be interesting to see what happens next over there.

One bad thought I had: if this keeps going, I hope they don't give Jaques a big offer. If the AV experiment fails I can see them going back to a Defense-first coach.

member 51464

How many good years does King Henrik have left anyway? He has been as solid as anyone for quite some time, but maybe he is getting long in the tooth. After this season, how much juice will be left in the tank?

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
How many good years does King Henrik have left anyway? He has been as solid as anyone for quite some time, but maybe he is getting long in the tooth. After this season, how much juice will be left in the tank?

Lundqvist is only 31 and playing his 9th NHL season. There should be plenty left in the tank. But maybe he gets sick of getting shelled in NY. Must be a reason why a filthy rich team like the Rags haven't been able to re-sign their franchise goalie.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Sather is another Holmgren, still don't know how he keeps his job

Sather is, if nothing else, one of the best trading GMs in the league.

I don't think that makes up for being an atrocious negotiator and failing on the overwhelming majority of free agent signings, but he does have a bright spot at least. Homer is just...

post-16925-Homer-Simpson-looking-in-mirro-Z1bw.gif

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA

For some reason I thought this was the last year on Fleury's contract but looking at capgeek I guess he still has one more? Either way, we still have 2 compliance buyouts, yes?

So, should Fleury falter again in the playoffs and RS finally has enough, some players I can imagine wearing new jerseys next year:

Fleury (buyout/trade) - $5,000,000
Glass (UFA) - $1,100,000
Niskanen (UFA/traded mid season) - $2,300,000
Orpik (UFA) - $3,750,000
Vokoun (UFA/retired) - $2,000,000
Engelland (UFA) - $566,667

Just shy of $15,000,000 off the books. Rinne/Rask have highest cap hits for goalies at $7,000,000, even if Lundqvist were to sign for $8,000,000, that leaves $7,000,000 to replace Glass, Niskanen, Orpik, Engelland, and Vokoun:

Niskanen -> Maatta (~$900,000)
Engelland -> Dumoulin (~850,000)
Orpik -> Despres - RFA after this year, someone smarter than me have an idea what kind of contract to expect here?
Glass -> UFA ($550,000)
Vokoun -> UFA ($1,500,000)

If my numbers are correct, you're left with about $3,200,000 to cover raises for RFAs Despres ($840,000) and Sutter ($2,000,000), and any potential raises for UFAs Kobasew ($550,000), Vitale ($550,000), and JJ ($2,100,000), assuming RS wants to keep them all.

So you may be right, it may not be entirely feasible, but it's fun to think that there at least might be some wiggle room there for Shero to work his magic - lock up an elite goalie, replace some vets with NHL ready prospects, sign FAs for bare minimum to fill depth/backup/4th line roles, then sit right against the cap for a year before it goes up. By that time, the contracts due up in 2015-2016 that I'd think we'd want to see re-signed would be Martin (UFA) and Bennett, Bortuzzo, Dumoulin (RFAs).

Though this may all just be a pipe dream.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
For some reason I thought this was the last year on Fleury's contract but looking at capgeek I guess he still has one more? Either way, we still have 2 compliance buyouts, yes?

So, should Fleury falter again in the playoffs and RS finally has enough, some players I can imagine wearing new jerseys next year:

Fleury (buyout/trade) - $5,000,000
Glass (UFA) - $1,100,000
Niskanen (UFA/traded mid season) - $2,300,000
Orpik (UFA) - $3,750,000
Vokoun (UFA/retired) - $2,000,000
Engelland (UFA) - $566,667

Just shy of $15,000,000 off the books. Rinne/Rask have highest cap hits for goalies at $7,000,000, even if Lundqvist were to sign for $8,000,000, that leaves $7,000,000 to replace Glass, Niskanen, Orpik, Engelland, and Vokoun:

Niskanen -> Maatta (~$900,000)
Engelland -> Dumoulin (~850,000)
Orpik -> Despres - RFA after this year, someone smarter than me have an idea what kind of contract to expect here?
Glass -> UFA ($550,000)
Vokoun -> UFA ($1,500,000)

If my numbers are correct, you're left with about $3,200,000 to cover raises for RFAs Despres ($840,000) and Sutter ($2,000,000), and any potential raises for UFAs Kobasew ($550,000), Vitale ($550,000), and JJ ($2,100,000), assuming RS wants to keep them all.

So you may be right, it may not be entirely feasible, but it's fun to think that there at least might be some wiggle room there for Shero to work his magic - lock up an elite goalie, replace some vets with NHL ready prospects, sign FAs for bare minimum to fill depth/backup/4th line roles, then sit right against the cap for a year before it goes up. By that time, the contracts due up in 2015-2016 that I'd think we'd want to see re-signed would be Martin (UFA) and Bennett, Bortuzzo, Dumoulin (RFAs).

Though this may all just be a pipe dream.

Don't forget, though, that the team adds another $4.675 million in cap hit for Malkin's, Letang's and Kunitz's raises, which you don't seem to have accounted for.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Don't forget, though, that the team adds another $4.675 million in cap hit for Malkin's, Letang's and Kunitz's raises, which you don't seem to have accounted for.

At the same time though the cap is going to go up some, maybe a lot, and I think 1.5m is the absolute max you'd be going on a backup, if you are splurging on an 8m starter.

At the same time, I am not keen on the idea of Lundqvist. I'd really rather have a simply solid kind of goalie for half the price. Hiller could be a nice option.

Zatch88

Im stumbling spheres
Oct 20, 2011
Johnstown
the fact that edler is getting suspended for that grazing non-hit is ridiculous. Hertl had his head down and ran right into him.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
At the same time though the cap is going to go up some, maybe a lot, and I think 1.5m is the absolute max you'd be going on a backup, if you are splurging on an 8m starter.

At the same time, I am not keen on the idea of Lundqvist. I'd really rather have a simply solid kind of goalie for half the price. Hiller could be a nice option.

Yeah, tbh I like Lundqvist as that fantasy goalie, or whoever is considered currently one of the best, but it's not a necessity and a cheaper goalie who's really solid (regular and postseason) is the better choice considering the cap.

I think they could make it work with Lundqvist depending on the cap and his salary if they really wanted to.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
the fact that edler is getting suspended for that grazing non-hit is ridiculous. Hertl had his head down and ran right into him.

It reminded me of Cooke's hit of McDonough that got him suspended for the TB series. You're right though, in the future Hertl won't get any lenience for elbow-hunting.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

More than enough to help this team win another 2-3 Cups before Sid and Geno get old. Age is not a factor with Henrik / acquiring Henrik, unless we do the 8 year max thing and that's pushing it. I'd happily give him 7 years and eat the last year of the contract though if he slows down too much at the end / we have a good replacement. The other 6 years will be worth it.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness

He got SUSPENDED for that? Holy ****. You know what that is... that's the league saying "we love highlight reels, anyone who does a retribution number on this kid is going to get hammered with a massive suspension... look what we gave Edler for doing nothing." That's all it is. No ****ing way that even deserved to be looked at. Dumb move by the NHL. All that will do is make people single Hertl out more for "special treatment" BS. I understand wanting to protect young stars but Jesus.

SteelFish87*

more than Fleury

member 51464

Lundqvist is only 31 and playing his 9th NHL season. There should be plenty left in the tank. But maybe he gets sick of getting shelled in NY. Must be a reason why a filthy rich team like the Rags haven't been able to re-sign their franchise goalie.
Fair enough. Just seems like he has been around so damn long. Crazy how consistently solid he has been.
More than enough to help this team win another 2-3 Cups before Sid and Geno get old. Age is not a factor with Henrik / acquiring Henrik, unless we do the 8 year max thing and that's pushing it. I'd happily give him 7 years and eat the last year of the contract though if he slows down too much at the end / we have a good replacement. The other 6 years will be worth it.
Nice. Seems like a reasonable take on it. If it meant "just" 2 Cups, I think having to deal with cap hell on the back end is worth it.
more than Fleury
:laugh: Well done.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Somehow Shero will find a way if it comes down to that unless he wants more then Crosby money. If you can get a goalie like Lundqvist, you should go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad