Around the NHL: Bye bye, Lavy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
No more free agent frenzy? :(

Horvat will have a tough life up there, Vancouver media is pretty ****ed up. Since the goaltending mess SHOULD be sorted out now, they have to create other stories.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
No more free agent frenzy? :(

Horvat will have a tough life up there, Vancouver media is pretty ****ed up. Since the goaltending mess SHOULD be sorted out now, they have to create other stories.

They shouldn't rush him, they will be stupid to keep him on the team. London is hosting the Memorial Cup next year, they should send him back down for a complete season and get him more experience from another Memorial Cup.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I think I read somewhere that Washington is done shopping. They lost Rebeiro and just signed AHL depth. If he's done shopping he should be out of a job, however that's been the opinion of many people for awhile now :laugh:

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I think I read somewhere that Washington is done shopping. They lost Rebeiro and just signed AHL depth. If he's done shopping he should be out of a job, however that's been the opinion of many people for awhile now :laugh:

Agreed. The longer McPhee keeps his job the better for us.

He did pull off a great trade at the deadline Erat for Forsberg :sarcasm: :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yup, no more free points against crap teams and easily winning that division. I wouldn't be surprised if Columbus finishes ahead next year in the standings

If Ovi is MVP Ovi they will make the playoffs. Though I think Columbus could be better than Philly, NJ and Carolina next year, fighting with the rags and caps behind us

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If Ovi is MVP Ovi they will make the playoffs. Though I think Columbus could be better than Philly, NJ and Carolina next year, fighting with the rags and caps behind us

Which MVP Ovi? The one that plays half the season and wins by default?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Yup, no more free points against crap teams and easily winning that division. I wouldn't be surprised if Columbus finishes ahead next year in the standings

Yes and no.

Carolina will continue to blow defensively, CBJ is not going to be near as good as people think for the opposite reason (their offense blows -- Bob and gritty D can carry them only so much over 82 games), and NJ (thanks to Kovalchuk, Parise and Clarkson all being gone) will be a joke next year, unless they make a big trade for F skill. But they don't really have anything to give up for that F skill any longer. Certainly not draft picks!

NJ is about *this close* to rebuilding IMO. Will not be shocked at all (despite fan pride yesterday about not tanking), if they are in line to draft McDavid in two years. They're almost bankrupt and the core guys from their big years are about to retire... all they'll be left with are plugs and youth movement guys like Henrique and Larsson. Those two kids are very good players potentially but I don't think you can build a franchise around them from what I've seen. In short, Washington will easily be better than all three of those teams.

So I expect the final division standings to be something close to:

Pittsburgh
Philly
Rags
Washington
Isles
Jackets
Canes
Devils

Isles or Jackets might potentially move up a spot but not more than that IMO. Washington and Rags pretty interchangeable, us and Philly pretty interchangeable as far as being 3-4 and 1-2 respectively. Washington is just a player or two short of being a very competitive team in this or any other division. Don't let your dislike for Ovy cloud your judgement; they're not weak simply because they beat up on a weak division in recent years. They'll definitely lose some extra games and struggle a bit at times but overall I believe they'll remain competitive. Especially if they continue to be more defensively responsible etc under Oats.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Bergeron is a great player, does all the little things right, but still a lot of money especially for the term

Why? He's 27 and will be 35 when his deal is done. The cap will be much higher be the end of the deal. I don't see what the issue is. A good deal is a good deal.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'd be going towards something like this CV;

Pittsburgh
Rags
Isles
Philly
Washington
Jackets
Canes
Devils

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Why? He's 27 and will be 35 when his deal is done. The cap will be much higher be the end of the deal. I don't see what the issue is. A good deal is a good deal.

36 actually since this only kicks in after next year

Since his concussion, his best offensive season has been 64pts and 57pts. I know it's not only about pts but a player being paid that much IMO needs to put up offensive numbers as well

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I'd be going towards something like this CV;

Pittsburgh
Rags
Isles
Philly
Washington
Jackets
Canes
Devils

Could happen for sure and I wouldn't be totally surprised. The Isles are the wild card IMO. They could surprise some people and really take a step forward into that 3/4 mix too but too early to tell. They still have goalie issues, and their D is still pretty thin in spots but not bad.

But on balance, if Washington does something to improve its roster a bit this summer, I expect they'll be in the thick of the race regardless. They're not suddenly going to become a doormat because they no longer play FLA and TB 6 times a year. Arguably, NJ will be worse than both of those teams next year (though before yesterday we wouldn't have expected it). And arguably, CBJ no better than either of those teams (maybe worse) on balance if Markstrom and Bishop have solid years in net. TB in particular might round into a good team this year as Hedman and other young guys come into their own.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
36 actually since this only kicks in after next year

Since his concussion, his best offensive season has been 64pts and 57pts. I know it's not only about pts but a player being paid that much IMO needs to put up offensive numbers as well

Bergy is one of the best, if not the best defensive forward in the game. Plus, he's able to score 60 points. That's a very good deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad