OT: Around the NHL: "Aaaaah, Ricky Bobby! Now we shall dance. And yes, it will be a slow jam."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, I mean, I don't know what kinda dude Torts is. I just think he's a wildly overrated coach. And for as much as people seem to fawn over the Torts and Berube media tirades where they lambast their players, I mean, maybe your coaching sucks if you have to constantly rake guys over coals for their compete level and preparedness. /shrug

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think you're attributing too much to a coach and not enough to Panarin and Vezina Bobrovsky tbh.

Panarin was there for only two years. Tortorella achieved with and without him.

I also think most Vezina goalies owe a lot to the defensive system in front of them and the way Bobrovsky suddenly dropped off in Florida is good evidence for that.

Plus that's just two players. Loads of teams have two really good players and miss a bunch. Sure they had a few others, but you look at the other teams around at that time and they don't equal a great roster. Tortorella had them 4th in the whole league with Cam Atkinson as their top scorer in a year when a Flyers team with Giroux and Voracek and an Islanders team with Tavares and Barzal missed.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Panarin was there for only two years. Tortorella achieved with and without him.

I also think most Vezina goalies owe a lot to the defensive system in front of them and the way Bobrovsky suddenly dropped off in Florida is good evidence for that.

Plus that's just two players. Loads of teams have two really good players and miss a bunch. Sure they had a few others, but you look at the other teams around at that time and they don't equal a great roster. Tortorella had them 4th in the whole league with Cam Atkinson as their top scorer in a year when a Flyers team with Giroux and Voracek and an Islanders team with Tavares and Barzal missed.
I just think people in general attribute too much success to coaching. Barking at guys doesn't make shitty players play far and away above their class or else the NHL would be full of Tortorellas. You're not gonna tough love an otherwise shitty team into results. Ruff almost got axed by the Devils before that team suddenly gelled and found another level last year behind guys like Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Mercer and Hamilton. I don't think it was coaching tbh. /shrug

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Tortorella is a good coach, there's no question. I think his handling of young players keeps him out of great coach territory though.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm only half a period into a PWHL game but I definitely like it. Contact is allowed but it looks to me like the refs are calling some weak stuff.

I wasn't sure who to cheer for but saw that NY are playing at the NYI arena. So... go Montreal!

I'd definitely go to games if Pittsburgh got a team.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I still think the Wild doing a change in coaching was a good idea but I've never been a fan of Hynes. He's a Bylsma/Sully clone and he f***ing sucks. I don't get why any team keeps hiring him. He sucked in NJ, Nashville and he's showing his usual bs in Minnesota.

He's what, 12-8 or 12-9 or something like that, still not a fan. Also wtf are the blues doing. Change coaches and then do nothing with the roster...sell more pieces.

As well as Ottawa - Martin? Really? Even on an interim basis I would have hired Gallant. That squad needs to prove something given the talent they have and how badly they need to push the needle the other way. Gallant will at least demand more out of them. Martin is retirement age, imagine thinking a bloke aged 71 is the answer. He's the oldest coach in the league.

I still think Edmonton got their coach fired because they were told to play a more complete game and McBoringasf*** didn't like it and so he got his juniors coach hired instead. I don't buy this turnaround and they are not the Pens or blues with the change. f*** them and f*** McLoser, I hope he never wins the cup.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Like for f***s sake. We joked JR was f***ing old and barely awake.

JR is 3yrs older than Martin. Sucks to be Jacques. He likely just wants to be a scout or Assistant gm and seems to be stuck as a coach again. 3-7 and he's pounding back shots of Ensure and espresso trying to stay sharp enough to figure out how to fix a shit show.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Totally useless.
I don't get why the Habs didn't just wait on MSL as the coach, for someone with as little coaching experience as he has, this weird and f***ed up need for hiring coaches that can speak French is ridiculous, he isn't addressing his team in French. Just media losers. It's self inflicted stupidity when you narrow your pool of coaching candidates to that small because of a small group of ignorant fans and ignorant sports media that care about that shit.

He should have been coaching in Laval, at least a couple of seasons. But zero coaching experience at the Junior or Echl/Ahl level and then NHL head coach job is some favouritism at its finest.

Special teams consultation doesn't count and that was like one season. The Rangers offered him the Hartford job and he didn't want that either. Imagine if the Pens just hired some ex hockey player that was from Pittsburgh and had 1 year of consultant work at the NHL level and a few years coaching their kid and then gets the Pens job.

Ridiculous. Glad the Habs are screwing themselves with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad