Around The NHL #8 - A Skate On The Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Having two generational players, brand new arena + facilities, plus one of the most expensive GM/coach duos to get... that has to be depressing.
How about we give Winnipeg credit here? They have one of the best goalies in the league, and a damn good forward group that is deeper than I and many others thought. Hockey is a team sport and Edmonton's lack of depth showed. Hollard inherited a mess, but will have capital to work with this off-season to address some of their problem areas.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
With Nuge, Larsson, Barrie and Smith all UFAs and Klefbom possibly facing retirement - that team might look very different next season.

My mind keeps circling around ways for the Yotes to take advantage.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
How about we give Winnipeg credit here? They have one of the best goalies in the league, and a damn good forward group that is deeper than I and many others thought. Hockey is a team sport and Edmonton's lack of depth showed. Hollard inherited a mess, but will have capital to work with this off-season to address some of their problem areas.
Winnipeg D is very underrated as well. Pionk and Morrissey are really good, the team plays D as good as anyone.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Yep, what a load of crap that was. Canadians are obsessed with anything that has their name, or even logo on it!
What gets me is that they put so much pressure on 13 and 14 years olds to win the World Juniors. Otherwise I have no issue with their nationalism. They are about as decent a people (excepting those from Winnipeg) as one can find.

Reactions: Jakey53

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
If I were in charge of the Oilers, I would separate the golden duo except for power plays. I would build up the 4th line first, big, heavy and hard hitting. That would force opposition to put their most physical line against them in order to protect their top lines from taking a hammering. That, in turn frees up McDrai from some of the pounding when playing a matchup game. They should be able to afford this considering the McDrai contracts aren't that awful.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If I were in charge of the Oilers, I would separate the golden duo except for power plays. I would build up the 4th line first, big, heavy and hard hitting. That would force opposition to put their most physical line against them in order to protect their top lines from taking a hammering. That, in turn frees up McDrai from some of the pounding when playing a matchup game. They should be able to afford this considering the McDrai contracts aren't that awful.
Holland will have a lot of cap space this year. His hands were tied until now. The Oilers are in good hands.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What gets me is that they put so much pressure on 13 and 14 years olds to win the World Juniors. Otherwise I have no issue with their nationalism. They are about as decent a people (excepting those from Winnipeg) as one can find.
First of all, the kids are not "13 and 14 years olds". Hockey is to Canada like Football is to the USA. Highs schools get their own stadium.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Haha US Hockey has a development program where those same aged kids move to all play together but yeah Canada does it wrong for the kids???

Reactions: Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
They’re fine people, but their nationalism is so over done, it reeks of an inferiority complex.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Just to remind the group that we have a lot of Canadians fans on this forum. Read our comments, we are looking very hypocritical :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad