Around the NHL - 2023 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
There is something incongruous about trying avoiding controversy with the pride stuff and then immediately stepping on the minefield that is the Israel-Palestine conflict lol.

larry-david-unsure.gif

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
They're p***ying out by caving to the minority of players who chose not to participate last year. Just because they're too stupid to realize they're going to face even more of a backlash doesn't make it any more brave of a choice.

For the record, I don't think it should be mandatory for players to participate in Pride nights. And I actually agree the media should focus more on those who choose to participate over those who don't. But canceling it for everybody because of a few who choose not to participate sure as hell doesn't seem like progress.
They aren’t p***ying out. They know full well they’re gonna face more backlash. They’re not caving to a minority either.

They’re protecting their players because at the end of the day everyone has a right to their religious beliefs and shouldn’t be abused for them. They can’t have individual players being singled out and relentlessly abused for their religious beliefs online.

If tolerance, respect, and acceptance for everyone is the goal, the shit those players took last year was the opposite of progress.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
There is something incongruous about trying avoiding controversy with the pride stuff and then immediately stepping on the minefield that is the Israel-Palestine conflict lol.

larry-david-unsure.gif
I think there’s a middle ground there. Don’t know a ton about it but from what I do know, maybe they shouldn’t be standing with Israel or taking a side but I see no issue with mourning the hundreds of innocent lives lost in that attack.

Reactions: HBK27

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
They're p***ying out by caving to the minority of players who chose not to participate last year. Just because they're too stupid to realize they're going to face even more of a backlash doesn't make it any more brave of a choice.

For the record, I don't think it should be mandatory for players to participate in Pride nights. And I actually agree the media should focus more on those who choose to participate over those who don't. But canceling it for everybody because of a few who choose not to participate sure as hell doesn't seem like progress.

Just to be clear, it’s never been mandatory for players to participate and the players themselves decide what the teams do.

And I believe they’re afraid of a more aggressive right wing backlash at this point.

Reactions: Hisch13r

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Look, it’s not my f***ing problem if a nice little gesture in support of gay people is too a big of f***ing burden for NHL teams to manage.

I’m not actually interested in playing debate club on this subject and finding out how about a bunch of straight dudes feel about this.

This was dismissive and rude but I’ll guess that’s how you wanted this to appear. Congrats on being as offensive as anyone else.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Just to be clear, it’s never been mandatory for players to participate and the players themselves decide what the teams do.

And I believe they’re afraid of a more aggressive right wing backlash at this point.
It became an issue when those players were facing a ton of backlash and abuse online. For their religious beliefs. That was the issue. It’s gone way too far at that point and it happened when those players were singled out by the team organized events.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
They aren’t p***ying out. They know full well they’re gonna face more backlash. They’re not caving to a minority either.

They’re protecting their players because at the end of the day everyone has a right to their religious beliefs and shouldn’t be abused for them. They can’t have individual players being singled out and relentlessly abused for their religious beliefs online.

If tolerance, respect, and acceptance for everyone is the goal, the shit those players took last year was the opposite of progress.
They aren’t going to face any backlash. The beauty of being the 4th sport is no one really cares outside the core fans. Its actually a tremendous position to be in still make a ton of money without the headaches.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
They aren’t going to face any backlash. The beauty of being the 4th sport is no one really cares outside the core fans. Its actually a tremendous position to be in still make a ton of money without the headaches.
All subjective but at the end of the day they’re gonna face more than they otherwise would’ve

f*** the NHL for giving in to f***s and horrible human beings and prevent pride stuff.

Hockey is not for everyone anymore. And f*** the league for trying to think they support anyone
This is so ass backwards. Horrible human beings for their religious beliefs?

Hockey is for everyone. Any LGBTQ+ member could walk into any NHL locker room today and you know damn well they’d be accepted and treated with respect or there would likely be consequences.

If anyone is going against hockey being for everyone it’s the people shitting on players for their beliefs.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Well Saros makes more sense as a rental this TDL because includes another year before he’s a UFA. There’s also a better chance that the Preds are a non-playoff team this year.

That said, I don’t know if he gets traded either because Saros was one of the players Trotz singled out as a “difference maker” he wasn’t going to trade. I doubt they want to throw Askarov to wolves.

Neither guy is or was going to be traded buck to the devils would’ve only happened in the summer so your splitting hairs saro being better for an extra half season. The price would’ve been more though to acquire him so it’s a trade off. Either way back to the original comment I made it’s a deal the jets had to make and he should be good for at least half of it I think.

All subjective but at the end of the day they’re gonna face more than they otherwise would’ve

Hockey is for everyone. Any LGBTQ+ member could walk into any NHL locker room today and you know damn well they’d be accepted and treated with respect or there would likely be consequences.

If anyone is going against hockey being for everyone it’s the people shitting on players for their beliefs.
I don’t even think this is making news outside of the hockey community but if it is it will all be forgotten by wed and your kidding yourself if you think differently.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Yes and no matter how stupid those beliefs are they have a right to them and they shouldn’t be shamed and abused for them.

Making up a completely random situation that would never happen and isn’t remotely comparable does absolutely nothing for your argument.

You’re right, people don’t choose who they’re attracted to. They do choose what they act on and unfortunately some religions out there believe it’s wrong for people of the same sex to be involved.
It’s stupid and I don’t agree with it but at the end of the day pretty much every principle of religions is about resisting urges and telling you how you should and shouldn’t act.

It’s their right to believe that and I won’t have a problem with it as long as it doesn’t go further than that and infringe on others rights.
This is complete nonsense and you're simply justifying shitty, bigoted beliefs using the exact faulty logic I pointed out. You're proving my point to a T.

You can't isolate the act from the fundamental human characteristic. The act is a result of said characteristic. This "belief" only applies to people within that specific group. That's essentially the very definition of prejudice.

There are people with religious beliefs that say it's wrong for women to show any skin out in public. By your logic, that's not sexist at all because it has nothing to do with them being women, it's just about them "resisting urges" to wear a t-shirt. GTFOH with that BS.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I don’t even think this is making news outside of the hockey community but if it is it will all be forgotten by wed and your kidding yourself if you think differently.
I think it completely depends on who reports on it. To this point from what I’ve seen no one major has reported on it. Just that one website that I’d never even heard of. Would almost consider it unconfirmed to this point. If some of the bigger reporters start asking about it and confirm it I think it could blow up more.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Neither guy is or was going to be traded buck to the devils would’ve only happened in the summer so your splitting hairs saro being better for an extra half season. The price would’ve been more though to acquire him so it’s a trade off. Either way back to the original comment I made it’s a deal the jets had to make and he should be good for at least half of it I think.

You said: “People on here balked at the idea of paying for buck mid season rental” so it sounded like you were discussing him as a TDL rental too.

And we would have rental Saros for two playoffs runs if we got him at the TDL, that is an advantage.

But one guy wasn’t traded and the other guy probably won’t be, so it doesn’t matter.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
This is complete nonsense and you're simply justifying shitty, bigoted beliefs using the exact faulty logic I pointed out. You're proving my point to a T.

You can't isolate the act from the fundamental human characteristic. The act is a result of said characteristic. This "belief" only applies to people within that specific group. That's essentially the very definition of prejudice.

There are people with religious beliefs that say it's wrong for women to show any skin out in public. By your logic, that's not sexist at all because it has nothing to do with them being women, it's just about them "resisting urges" to wear a t-shirt. GTFOH with that BS.
Didn’t prove your point whatsoever and you can absolute isolate the actions you take from your characteristics. That’s literally what 90% of religion is about. The whole purpose of religions is to tell you what’s right and wrong and yes, what urges you shouldn’t act on. I’m saying this as someone who is extremely unreligious and thinks religion is a stupid way of deciding what you believe is right and wrong.

You need to look up the definition of prejudice again man. That’s not it.

And that’s not what my logic says. My logic is that I don’t give a shit what they believe and have no right to tell them what they should believe or abuse them for it so long as they treat people equally and aren’t forcing people to abide by it and infringing on other peoples rights.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The next expansion team should be called the U30s no players over 30 they would win so many cups!
How many elite goalies still performed well into their 30s in recent years?

Schneider fell off around 30, Holtby around 28, Rask had a couple of really good years in his early 30s before hurting his hip and retiring before he was 35.

Price was not consistently good again in his 30s.

Luongo and Lundqvist both aged well. Lundqvist was closer to 35 when he fell off. Luongo was 39.

Crawford was good in his early 30s.

Fleury was better in his early 30s than he was in his 20s.

Reactions: Guadana

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Lmaoooooo, the same league that has Tony DeAngelo as a player + Bill Peters was a coach after what he did Akim Aliu. As someone who's played hockey growing up as a minority, you couldn't be further from the truth. Hockey and its players have a lot of growing up to do at every level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad