Around the NHL 2023-24 season thread - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
To be fair I always assumed that was the case with any team relocating.
By business side I'm assuming that means the people who sell tickets and maybe run things that deal with the gameday experience. Not sure what those positions are called exactly. Vendors, things like that. People who prepare team meals, stuff like that.

I think it was safe to assume only hockey ops people/coaching staff/support staff would make the move.

I don't think it would be worth relocating from Arizona to Utah for those positions anyway. The issue was the lack of communication and these people not finding out directly from their current employer, who right now still remains the Arizona Coyotes, but instead finding out through a tweet.

The people in Utah can't really inform them yet because they don't own/run the team as of this moment. The people in Arizona do and the way they've run the team for years and years is like a tenth rate organization, Of course they'd treat the employees that are soon to be unemployed like second class citizens.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
How does the NHL put out a schedule where some teams end their season tonight and others keep playing until Thursday? You'd think they'd just have all teams finish within a day or so of each other so that there would be relatively equal rest for playoffs or at least less teams already knowing their fate heading into the last game or two.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
How does the NHL put out a schedule where some teams end their season tonight and others keep playing until Thursday? You'd think they'd just have all teams finish within a day or so of each other so that there would be relatively equal rest for playoffs or at least less teams already knowing their fate heading into the last game or two.

I'm surprised they don't do a decision day like the MLS does. They have all the eastern conference teams against each other at one time and all the western conference teams play each other right after. Makes for some fun and interesting scenarios.

No reason the NHL can't do the same, 8 eastern conference games at 7pm and 8 western conference games at 10pm. Have espn or tnt do a jump around show to catch all the action and possible scenarios.

Reactions: NJDevs26 and HBK27

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
That they learned they were fired via Twitter?

I’m talking about the lack of communication.
ooooooh yeah i remember the thrashers doing that like i remember reading day of the move being announced a "reporter" calling their ticket department asking for next season pricing and them being clueless and giving them a sales pitch. we are all just numbers sad

Reactions: Guttersniped

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
nhl schedule is absolutely stupid long stretches at the start of the year without games then playing out of conference games late into the season (tonight last one) and your right teams wrapped up tonight and still have games going until thursday. i get its hard making a schedule but even harder and more stupid to be doing it by hand which i dunno is the nhl still doing that? throw that into a computer and come up with something better please. divsional back to backs would be great in conference/divisional only games for the final 30ish days of the year would be great

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We've had Saturday/Sunday mass scheduling to end seasons before. Not sure why it worked out this way this year.
This is certainly something new for an 82 game season.

Back in the Covid season they may have ended in the middle of the week and I know some teams were even finishing regular season games while others were already starting the playoffs. Those were merely make up games that had been postponed throughout the year due to teams having too many positive Covid tests.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Definitely odd how quick the turnaround is to the playoffs too. Some teams are wrapping on Thursday and will start the playoffs this weekend. Little tricky with fantasy playoffs this week, I might have to drop Connor Hellebuyck for Laurent Brossoit just to get an extra start.

Worst case scenario for the playoffs is that it'll wrap up late June just a few days before the draft.

In a vacuum it would be nice if the NHL wrapped up earlier, but I think they don't want the Stanley Cup Finals to conflict with the NBA Conference Finals. When that's happened in the past, TV viewership in the US drops by 25%.

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Definitely odd how quick the turnaround is to the playoffs too. Some teams are wrapping on Thursday and will start the playoffs this weekend. Little tricky with fantasy playoffs this week, I might have to drop Connor Hellebuyck for Laurent Brossoit just to get an extra start.

Worst case scenario for the playoffs is that it'll wrap up late June just a few days before the draft.

In a vacuum it would be nice if the NHL wrapped up earlier, but I think they don't want the Stanley Cup Finals to conflict with the NBA Conference Finals. When that's happened in the past, TV viewership in the US drops by 25%.
My yahoo fantasy season ended two Sunday's ago. I'd say yours goes a little too long.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
playoffs likely start monday/tuesday. sets them up for games both on sat/sun of next week

whats the rumor on team name for utah?
Isn't one yet. Smith's group put out a survey 2 weeks ago for names. If they go based off prior history. They can do the Eagles ( IHL ) if they go based off the state ( Hive,Bees,Sting) they are the beehive state. State bird is the California Gull. Could also do Saints or Pioneers for the mormon connection.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
playoffs likely start monday/tuesday. sets them up for games both on sat/sun of next week

Isn't one yet. Smith's group put out a survey 2 weeks ago for names. If they go based off prior history. They can do the Eagles ( IHL ) if they go based off the state ( Hive,Bees,Sting) they are the beehive state. State bird is the California Gull. Could also do Saints or Pioneers for the mormon connection.

oh man that just screams wnba mls or roller hockey had pass

pioneers would be pretty cool if you ask me saints second choice

eagles is meh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad