Around the NHL 2023-24 season thread - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
I have a hard time believing the same players that play through shit they shouldn't all the time are sitting out completely healthy just waiting for the playoffs to start. If they are, then good on Vegas for finding a way to protect players from their own stupidity.
you have a hard time believing someone could come back and play now but because his team gets a huge competitive advantage he’ll wait an extra week/month to have a super roster in the playoffs?

again, it’s allowed under the rules but it’s insane that teams are winning stanley cups with rosters that would be $10-15 million over the salary cap were they not exploiting a humongous loophole

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I have a hard time believing the same players that play through shit they shouldn't all the time are sitting out completely healthy just waiting for the playoffs to start. If they are, then good on Vegas for finding a way to protect players from their own stupidity.
It's one thing if players were sitting out games that mattered in the regular season, and Vegas was actually closer to missing the playoffs than they would have liked, but I'm sure a lot of players would take being paid for playing less games if they were only sitting out glorified seeding games in the regular season.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
So are these teams medical staffs also in on the conspiracy?

"Look Mark, we'd like to clear you to practice, you're good to go, but we're gonna wait another week or two..."

Which actually brings up something, does the league check into when players are cleared or do they just trust the team staffs?

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
This is a stupid thing to get mad about. The players and GM’s don’t care so why do you? If it bothers you that much, take it up with Fitz for not playing the game.

Reactions: Guttersniped

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

This is a stupid thing to get mad about. The players and GM’s don’t care so why do you? If it bothers you that much, take it up with Fitz for not playing the game.
The thing is it's not even guaranteed to work. Didn't they do similar things in 2021-22 with Eichel, and they missed the playoffs? Also, I'm not sure having your captain and one of your best players becoming an injury prone 30+ year old is a great long term plan. It works for Vegas, who is seemingly always attracting good players, and aren't afraid to dump players to keep them. They're gonna try to squeeze every drop they can out of these guys, and they don't care how far they have to stretch rules to do it. If it makes them the bad guy, so be it. Sports is always better with a good heel team to hate on.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ

Gotta feel for the players and staff.

What a clusterf***. I wonder if there are clauses in the players contracts which address this type situation. Sign a long term contract, purchase a home in the area, move your family and are told the franchise is moving 500+ miles away.

Kids to mom 1 month into the season. "When is daddy coming home?"
Mom to kids. "Sometime next April."

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
"Are you certain?"

"Almost 100%"

Then, sir, you are not certain.

I get your point, but I think it’s splitting hairs. He’s leaving some space for doubt. In life (as in statistics), nothing is ever 100%.

That’s why the 95% confidence interval exists. It means “we’re almost certain this isn’t a fluke”, and usually that’s good enough.

Honestly it’s when someone declares themselves 100% confident that gets me more suspicious.

Reactions: Guttersniped

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I get your point, but I think it’s splitting hairs. He’s leaving some space for doubt. In life (as in statistics), nothing is ever 100%.

That’s why the 95% confidence interval exists. It means “we’re almost certain this isn’t a fluke”, and usually that’s good enough.

Honestly it’s when someone declares themselves 100% confident that gets me more suspicious.

The 95% confidence interval is based on measurable data, not feelings. This is a simple case. It's a yes or no answer. Are players (any of them) healthy but not playing for purposes of circumventing the cap? He doesn't know. So literally any number he picks is meaningless. "Almost 100%" in this context is absolutely no different than 5%, or potato. It's meaningless.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
The 95% confidence interval is based on measurable data, not feelings. This is a simple case. It's a yes or no answer. Are players (any of them) healthy but not playing for purposes of circumventing the cap? He doesn't know. So literally any number he picks is meaningless. "Almost 100%" in this context is absolutely no different than 5%, or potato. It's meaningless.

Tell that to the Bayesians who prattle on endlessly about "updating their priors". :sarcasm:

In this case, I understand his "almost 100%" to mean yes.

To use a silly analogy, if you asked me "will the Sun come up tomorrow?", and I told you that I was "almost 100% certain", would you tell me it was meaningless for me to phrase it that way? Or would you understand me to be saying yes, but leaving the space for epistemological humility on the off chance the apocalypse arrives before then?

Reactions: My3Sons

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Tell that to the Bayesians who prattle on endlessly about "updating their priors". :sarcasm:

In this case, I understand his "almost 100%" to mean yes.

To use a silly analogy, if you asked me "will the Sun come up tomorrow?", and I told you that I was "almost 100% certain", would you tell me it was meaningless for me to phrase it that way? Or would you understand me to be saying yes, but leaving the space for epistemological humility on the off chance the apocalypse arrives before then?

I'd argue we all have significantly more evidence that the sun will come up tomorrow than anyone outside of the NHL has evidence on how the teams are or are not working the system.

I hear what you are saying, I just do not buy it at all in this situation. Humility is not a trait of those on X, or media types in general (social or otherwise). Perhaps I'm being cynical, or perhaps I'm just jaded. Maybe both. That comment just means about as much to me as me saying I'm almost 100% certain healthy players are sitting under the guise of injury for the purpose of cap circumvention. That is, it's basically meaningless.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

“first-ever Coyotes Collection Pop Up Party”

Dare I say it will also be the last ever Coyotes Collection Pop Up Party. I’m sure lots of fans will hit the mall to stock up on team merch.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Gotta feel awful for those fans who have stuck through every obstacle, one after another, for the Coyotes, only to have their team ripped away from them.

If it ever happened here, I’d be despondent.
It sucks but at the same time there's gotta be at least some small relief that it's finally over, one way or another. I can't imagine being a fan with the kind of uncertainty that's been hanging over their heads for so long.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Gotta feel awful for those fans who have stuck through every obstacle, one after another, for the Coyotes, only to have their team ripped away from them.

I'd be 100% done with the NHL entirely. I'd end up just following team USA, maybe go to one tournament a year, juniors or worlds and would absolutely go to the next Olympics.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ

And when people want to complain about Harris/Blitzer, let’s not forget the only other bidder for the team was Andrew Barroway. Barroway didn’t even have the money to own the Coyotes for very long. I can’t imagine how things would have gone for NJD if he took over.

I know people like to hate on our current owners (I have my gripes) but they took this team from being deep in debt on the brink of bankruptcy and a lot of uncertainly to being financially stable and doing more in revenue than the Blackhawks, Bruins, and SC Champ Golden Knights last year.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'd be 100% done with the NHL entirely. I'd end up just following team USA, maybe go to one tournament a year, juniors or worlds and would absolutely go to the next Olympics.

I would probably latch on to a random team because I love the sport too much. Probably a Western one that had little rivalry interest to the Devils so that it would be guilt free. I certainly couldn't just become a fan of any of the local teams still in the area, that's for sure. f*** them forever.

And when people want to complain about Harris/Blitzer, let’s not forget the only other bidder for the team was Andrew Barroway. Barroway didn’t even have the money to own the Coyotes for very long. I can’t imagine how things would have gone for NJD if he took over.

I know people like to hate on our current owners (I have my gripes) but they took this team from being deep in debt on the brink of bankruptcy and a lot of uncertainly to being financially stable and doing more in revenue than the Blackhawks, Bruins, and SC Champ Golden Knights last year.

I agree 100%. I understand things haven't been perfect with our owners, but most of my complaints are with the lack of development within the arena. And they've faced their own challenges there anyway with what took place with the pandemic. I'm not a season ticket holder, so I know on your side, you've faced difficulties there.

That said, what they did to get us out from what Vanderbeek had done was incredibly significant. And contrary to what people think, they've given Fitz the ability to spend. I can't complain about much at all as a fan.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

yeah i mean same can be said for trades roster choices draft picks. like why even have a message board to discuss stuff or be mad at stuff. smh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad