Around the NHL 2023-24 season thread - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I don't know. We did a big thing on markets a year ago or so, and SLC wasn't even in the picture of markets by size, by corp HQs, etc. Sure lack of competition, but that's a double edged sword. Seems like one dude's waving the benjamins and Bettman's willing to jump in again without considering whether the market holistically can support the team if that person stops waving.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
If the Coyotes move, somehow we should get rid of the stupid Thrashers / Jets and Jets / Coyotes franchise distinctions. Jets should get back their Jets stuff. Records. IP. Etc. At least until they fold in the next couple of years.
Some tweet said the league will buy the team from Merulo, and then sell the team to the SLC owner. I would hope they acquire those logos/IP and sell them to Jets if they don't already own them...but they have throwbacks with the Jets logo so why wouldn't they?

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
If the Coyotes move, somehow we should get rid of the stupid Thrashers / Jets and Jets / Coyotes franchise distinctions. Jets should get back their Jets stuff. Records. IP. Etc. At least until they fold in the next couple of years.
it should honestly be like that with all teams that moved. bad enough seeing the rockies with the devils but then they mention the chiefs its like come on

Some tweet said the league will buy the team from Merulo, and then sell the team to the SLC owner. I would hope they acquire those logos/IP and sell them to Jets if they don't already own them...but they have throwbacks with the Jets logo so why wouldn't they?
then just wait til the jets/trashers end up moving in a couple years!

atlanta winnipeg arizona like the trifecta of places to not have sports teams

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Who would have guessed that selling the team to a real estate investor who's only interest in the team was as leverage to push through a $billion+ development plan would fail.

Unfortunately the league management wasn't around back when Charles Wang took over the Islanders. Then they would have had experience with this type of owner.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

Absolutely stupid to do but like all things in this country it’s all about money. Ridiculous they could charge probably at that point 850 for a franchise for the 4th sport in the country. My guess is bettman probably retires at that point as a final “legacy” type move. Expanded playoffs then follow

I didn’t realize this is where they would go play. It’s better then the yotes college rink but that’s not saying much. https://x.com/miketgould/status/1778169817914286396?s=46&t=JG61HN3WpfqDgYZYCCa9uA

Are they going to build a new rink in Utah?

Last edited:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
rumor is a billion but even if not its going to be more then 650 thats for sure. the yotes are valued at 500
You have to keep in mind that they basically have to pay off Muerlo in order for him to give up control and suspend the franchise. If he is willing to stick around and stay in Mullet there isn’t much the league can legally force him out with years and years of litigation. So they need to strike a deal where he basically suspend operations but not lose the team if they get the arena deal done.

The rumors of the next expansion fee is north of $1 billion. That is where the figures come from plus it is about what the Sens just sold for. So a SLC is essentially buying a team from the league at the expansion rate. The league is then paying Arizona to to suspend operations for about the reduced cost of expansion franchise. The league pockets the difference as a relocation fee. They get the deal done they basically pay that back and resume the team when the arena ready. It fails Muerlo walks away getting an inflated price for the Yotes.

Reactions: My3Sons

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

Absolutely stupid to do but like all things in this country it’s all about money. Ridiculous they could charge probably at that point 850 for a franchise for the 4th sport in the country. My guess is bettman probably retires at that point as a final “legacy” type move. Expanded playoffs then follow

I didn’t realize this is where they would go play. It’s better then the yotes college rink but that’s not saying much. https://x.com/miketgould/status/1778169817914286396?s=46&t=JG61HN3WpfqDgYZYCCa9uA

Yes. Salt Lake City is most likely getting the 2034 Winter Olympics and need a new arena. I believe it had already been approved by the Utah legislature.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Yes, they have plans for a downtown SLC arena.

March 1, 2024 article

Utah lawmakers approve downtown NBA/NHL arena bill as they seek 'vibrant' capital​

SALT LAKE CITY — Utah lawmakers have approved a bill that paves the way for a new arena in downtown Salt Lake City that could be the home of the Utah Jazz and a potential National Hockey League team.

Utah senators voted 22-4 Friday to concur with changes that the House of Representatives made to SB272 Thursday night before the House voted 50-20 to approve the measure. The bill now heads to Gov. Spencer Cox's desk for final approval.

Rep. Jon Hawkins, R-Pleasant Grove, the bill's House sponsor, introduced a substitution on Thursday that tweaked the name from a "reinvestment" to a "revitalization" zone. It also adds new language tied to downtown safety concerns, including new public safety, homelessness mitigation, transportation and parking plans for the zone.

However, Hawkins said changes don't alter the essence of the bill. It still sets up the framework for an NBA or NHL owner — such as Ryan Smith and the Smith Entertainment Group — to approach Salt Lake City and the state and agree to a plan to revitalize the area, including a new arena for the Utah Jazz and an NHL franchise.

Reactions: mdj12784

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i was all for a move to utah until i saw the rink they were going to play in. great way for the yotes franchise to start off AGAIN with another rink inside a basketball arena with horrible sightlines and limited seating. history repeating itself beyond comical

just move to QC already i mean they will surely be getting one of the 4 teams coming anyway no? or KC they have a finished rink right?

Reactions: NJDevs26

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
i was all for a move to utah until i saw the rink they were going to play in. great way for the yotes franchise to start off AGAIN with another rink inside a basketball arena with horrible sightlines and limited seating. history repeating itself beyond comical

just move to QC already i mean they will surely be getting one of the 4 teams coming anyway no? or KC they have a finished rink right?

It's temporary if it happens, the city has already approved to build a new arena...

Reactions: Guttersniped

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Phoenix is like Atlanta. Bad ownership group, no planning, no agreement for sharing existing stadia, expectation of major public investment in a hockey-specific facility, etc.

The fans are there, but the ownership is royally screwing it up.

Two huge cities. There's no way it couldn't succeed, but the NHL did a poor job of ensuring that it was ready to go. And I worry about this knee-jerk move to a dude with cash for a city that's:

- the #45 MSA (Ahead of them without an NHL Team: Houston is 5, Atlanta is 6, Phoenix* is 10, San Diego is 18, Baltimore is 20, Orlando is 21, Charlotte is 22, San Antonio is 24, Portland is 25, Austin is 26, Sacramento is 28, Cincinnati is 30, Kansas City is 31, Cleveland is 33, Indianapolis is 34, Norfolk-VA Beach is 37, Jacksonville is 38, Providence is 39, Milwaukee is 40, Oklahoma City is 42, Louisville is 43, Richmond is 44, and Memphis is 45; just behind them includes Hartford at 51).

- the #22 CSA [combined statistical area] (ahead of them without an NHL Team: Houston at 8, Atlanta at 10, Phoenix* is 13, Orlando is 15, Cleveland is 17, Charlotte is 19, Portland is 20)

- the #117 City by population (of their 2.8M CSA and 1.2M MSA ,only 200k live within the city limits. That's some sprawl when 7% of the CSA and 16% of the MSA is actually in the city). This puts them behind Yonkers, Fayetteville NC, Worcester MA, Hialeah FL...

If this guy suddenly can't do the thing... what then?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Phoenix is like Atlanta. Bad ownership group, no planning, no agreement for sharing existing stadia, expectation of major public investment in a hockey-specific facility, etc.

Two huge cities. There's no way it couldn't succeed, but the NHL did a poor job of ensuring that it was ready to go. And I worry about this knee-jerk move to a dude with cash for a city that's:

- the #45 MSA (Ahead of them without an NHL Team: Houston is 5, Atlanta is 6, Phoenix* is 10, San Diego is 18, Baltimore is 20, Orlando is 21, Charlotte is 22, San Antonio is 24, Portland is 25, Austin is 26, Sacramento is 28, Cincinnati is 30, Kansas City is 31, Cleveland is 33, Indianapolis is 34, Norfolk-VA Beach is 37, Jacksonville is 38, Providence is 39, Milwaukee is 40, Oklahoma City is 42, Louisville is 43, Richmond is 44, and Memphis is 45; just behind them includes Hartford at 51).

- the #22 CSA [combined statistical area] (ahead of them without an NHL Team: Houston at 8, Atlanta at 10, Phoenix* is 13, Orlando is 15, Cleveland is 17, Charlotte is 19, Portland is 20)

- the #117 City by population (of their 2.8M CSA and 1.2M MSA ,only 200k live within the city limits. That's some sprawl when 7% of the CSA and 16% of the MSA is actually in the city). This puts them behind Yonkers, Fayetteville NC, Worcester MA, Hialeah FL...

You just answered your own question, they will just move the team to Yonkers.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

I think the NHL would certainly prefer a team in Houston, but it sounds like the Houston guy doesn't quite have his ducks in a row at the moment. The NHL needs this to happen right now and can't keep pushing the deadline every year. SLC can happen this fall and that's probably the best they can do on such short notice.

That's kind of how it happened with Atlanta. The Thrashers got kicked out of their arena and would have to suspend operations without a venue, and Winnipeg was one of the only options that could accommodate an NHL team on such short notice. Winnipeg wasn't the NHL's first choice, but they had an arena ready to go.

I think especially since the SLC arena already has the funds appropriated, their short-term viability shouldn't really be an issue. I think the NHL wants to stop the bleeding and get the team out of Arizona, everything else is a problem for tomorrow. If SLC isn't viable in 10 years then that's a conversation for the future.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think the NHL would certainly prefer a team in Houston, but it sounds like the Houston guy doesn't quite have his ducks in a row at the moment. The NHL needs this to happen right now and can't keep pushing the deadline every year. SLC can happen this fall and that's probably the best they can do on such short notice.

That's kind of how it happened with Atlanta. The Thrashers got kicked out of their arena and would have to suspend operations without a venue, and Winnipeg was one of the only options that could accommodate an NHL team on such short notice. Winnipeg wasn't the NHL's first choice, but they had an arena ready to go.

I think especially since the SLC arena already has the funds appropriated, their short-term viability shouldn't really be an issue. I think the NHL wants to stop the bleeding and get the team out of Arizona, everything else is a problem for tomorrow. If SLC isn't viable in 10 years then that's a conversation for the future.
I've never paid attention to the Houston arena as a possible hockey venue, but the Rockets owner has said he's "working on it" with the NHL but also said it has to make sense for both parties. My guess is that he doesn't want to pay over a billion for what will be a second tier team for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad