Around the NHL 2023-24 season thread - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
He’s apparently going to be the tallest goalie to ever play in the NHL. They said we’ve never seen a 6 foot 8 goalie play in the NHL.

I thought Ben Bishop was close enough?

A couple places had Black as the best available free agent NCAA goalie. He hasn't signed yet, so I wonder if that's an indicator that he's going back for another year rather than play in the AHL/ECHL?

Edit: Looks like Black is signing with Florida.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
What happens if someone accidentally puts it into their own net on a delayed penalty in overtime? Do they still lose the point?
It’s ok on a delayed penalty. I don’t have the rule on hand but I believe it’s specifically exempted from the loss of point rule.

If I’m remembering back to the discourse, they didn’t want teams pulling the goalie in OT because there was arguably little to no downside, if you believe playing 4 on 3 would give you’re team a scoring advantage.

So even if making the game 4 on 3 only gave you a 55%-45% winning edge, compared to an assumed 50%-50% base case, then both teams would be in a mad scramble to get into the position of pulling their goalie first.

Nobody thought most OTs being played at 4 on 3 would be very interesting so there needed to be a penalty for pulling your goalie. That penalty is loss of the guaranteed point if you lose.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Bucci is such a hack lmao what an idiotic statement. In what world are these two comparable.
IMG_4850.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Guttersniped

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I miss the days when Buccigross just made band references on NHL 2 Nite with Ferraro and Melrose. He's become more annoying as he started going through his mid life crisis.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Bucci is such a hack lmao what an idiotic statement. In what world are these two comparable.
View attachment 844658
It's a dumb comparison for sure.

But I've watched a handful of ANA games this season (most near the start of the year when I thought they might actually be Not Terrible), and one since Zegras came back. And I gotta say, I was very impressed in Zegras in every game.

The counting stats aren't there. But he looked very different from the "soft", "lazy", "flashy" reputation he has. Showed a lot of jam. Worked hard on the forecheck, won some battles on the boards, threw some hits.

He is a huge buy-low, high-upside candidate if a team could pry him from ANA relatively cheaply

Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

For some reason I love that his pregame meal is Subway and Flamin' Hot Cheetos.:laugh:

I used to love flamin hot cheetos.

Now I can't really find a way to work them into my diet, without giving up other things that I like even more.

I need to get a bag sometime soon. Sometimes I forget they even exist anymore.

I may have eaten a bag at least 5 times a week between 1990-something (probably mid to late 90s) and the early 2000s.

I lived off of them and chester's frieds back around 1999 or turn of the millennium or so.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Now I can't really find a way to work them into my diet, without giving up other things that I like even more.

I may have eaten a bag at least 5 times a week between 1990-something (probably mid to late 90s) and the early 2000s.

I lived off of them and chester's frieds back around 1999 or turn of the millennium or so.
In the old days before radio and cold fusion I enjoyed Andy Capp's Hot Fries. Not sure if they still make those or they were outlawed by the Geneva Convention.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
In the old days before radio and cold fusion I enjoyed Andy Capp's Hot Fries. Not sure if they still make those or they were outlawed by the Geneva Convention.
I used to eat those too, I'm pretty sure they were a thing even before the Cheetos Chester's fries and flamin hot brand Cheetos.

I think I've eaten some in the last 4-5 years? I'm sure they're still around. They aren't sold everywhere.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Speaking of food:

• Wow

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
But in fairness the chicken was Bojangles.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Bojangles north of the Carolina’s or maybe Virginia. They actually have them all the way up in Buffalo?

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
They’re finally bringing bojangles and raisin’ canes to New York, and I think Rochester is gonna get them just in time for me to move away

The only fast food chain I actually yearn for though is Cook Out and I will fight anyone with a single bad word to say about it.

Reactions: sabremike

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
They’re finally bringing bojangles and raisin’ canes to New York, and I think Rochester is gonna get them just in time for me to move away

The only fast food chain I actually yearn for though is Cook Out and I will fight anyone with a single bad word to say about it.
I see signs for Cook Out when driving to Florida, what’s it like?

My only for sure stop on our drive down right now is Buc-ees.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I see signs for Cook Out when driving to Florida, what’s it like?

My only for sure stop on our drive down right now is Buc-ees.
Burgers, chicken sandwiches, fries, shakes, the usual stuff. But the menu is pretty big for a fast food place.

The summary is big menu, all tasty enough, good milkshakes (and in like 40 different flavors), cheerwine on tap, and most importantly cheap (by 2024 fast food standards at least, they used to be REALLY cheap). Plus they're open quite late, normally, which was nice when i was 24 and suffering from terrible insomnia.

Their menu is borderline illegible though, so if you go, I would recommend figuring out what you want ahead of time at least for the first visit.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They don’t even have them in Florida. Just one the way. I just looked up Cook Out near me on google maps and the closest is like 3 hours and 57 minutes, not too far into Georgia off of I-75.

I’ve had it a few times while traveling. It wasn’t bad. It was explained to me that it was food that you would cook out on a grill. Hence the name.

I can’t remember the last time I had it. Too many years ago.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I always enjoy finding out that right shooting players are naturally left handed (ie dominant hand on top). An odd number of my beer league teammates like to play hockey but don't really watch the NHL and they're always surprised when there's a majority of left handed shooting players. And I always tell them they're the ones who are odd for shooting right.

Also enjoy how some on the main board had the compulsive need to crap on the Leafs signing Jacob Quillan just because it's the Leafs. But so far with the Sharks signing Graf, everybody is taking pity on how bad San Jose has been this season.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I always enjoy finding out that right shooting players are naturally left handed (ie dominant hand on top).
It's especially important for defenseman. You want the dominant hand on top so you can poke check with your better hand. For some reason, it's mostly Americans that tend to play opposite of that. I'm guessing it comes from playing baseball, where hitters swing with the dominant hand further up the bat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad