Around the NHL 2023-24 season thread - part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Vegas, from the owner down, is fully committed to winning and will use every possible route to get there. Fans should really be upset that their own ownership/management isn't as committed (once they're actually contenders of course). They're playing by the same rules available to every other team.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The funniest thing about Vegas to me is that people genuinely think they're faking a lacerated spleen. There are so many more nebulous injuries they could use than that.

The fact that they actually missed the playoffs because they didn't have Stone 2 years ago should have dispelled the notion to begin with.

And Stone came back and played in regular season games in 2021-22.

He rushed back to try to help the playoff push and was an injured mess in those last 9 games.

Gm 1-2: 2GP 0G 3A 3 points
(Missed Gm 3-14/ 12 games)
Gm 15-30: 16GP 4G 14A 18 points
(Missed Gm 31/ 1 game)
Gm 32: 1GP 2G 0A 2 points
(Missed Gm 33-36/ 4 games)
Gm 37-40: 4GP 1G 2A 3 points
(Missed Gm 41-42/ 2 games)
Gm 43-47: 5GP 1G 1A 2 points
(Missed Gm 48-74/ 26 games)
Gm 74-82: 9GP 1G 1A 2 points

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Vegas, from the owner down, is fully committed to winning and will use every possible route to get there. Fans should really be upset that their own ownership/management isn't as committed (once they're actually contenders of course). They're playing by the same rules available to every other team.

Yes and no. They have an endless supply of guys who want to play there so they have a little built in advantage that Canadian markets and small markets and high tax states don’t enjoy. They can be pretty ruthless against their own players without consequences.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Vegas has been so bad recently that they’re lucky the west is so bad and they have a 6 point lead on the first team below the playoff line (Calgary) or they’d really be in trouble and a threat to miss the playoffs.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Vegas has been so bad recently that they’re lucky the west is so bad and they have a 6 point lead on the first team below the playoff line (Calgary) or they’d really be in trouble and a threat to miss the playoffs.
Wow I had no idea. Their playoff odds indicate it's not a lock, I hope they miss for the lulz, also cause of the Mark Stone "injury."

Reactions: NJDevs26

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

PK giving some real Stringer Bell vibes with those glasses on.

up-idris_elbaLG.jpg

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I thought Kuznetsov looked pretty good against NJ and apparently he was great today v. Calgary centering the 2nd line. That trade might end up the deal of the deadline if it got Carolina a legit 2nd line center at that price.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I thought Kuznetsov looked pretty good against NJ and apparently he was great today v. Calgary centering the 2nd line. That trade might end up the deal of the deadline if it got Carolina a legit 2nd line center at that price.

I mean, he's clean, and that seems to be the only reason he struggled the last year and a half. He was a legit player before that... he was on waivers... we needed centers... I just don't f'ing get it. He was free.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I mean, he's clean, and that seems to be the only reason he struggled the last year and a half. He was a legit player before that... he was on waivers... we needed centers... I just don't f'ing get it. He was free.
He wasn't free. He was on waivers with a $7.8 million hit next year.

With what we've seen from this team this year, are you really saying that - before fixing anything else - you would have put nearly $8 million toward another top 6 playmaker who doesn't play much defense and isn't known for particularly gritty play?

I get the frustration about where the team is, but pining for Kuznetsov seems a bit off.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
He wasn't free. He was on waivers with a $7.8 million hit next year.

With what we've seen from this team this year, are you really saying that - before fixing anything else - you would have put nearly $8 million toward another top 6 playmaker who doesn't play much defense and isn't known for particularly gritty play?

I get the frustration about where the team is, but pining for Kuznetsov seems a bit off.

Free as in assets, not as in contract.

We have two centers and just lost a speedy center. He's expensive for sure, but my point is that we sat on our hands and let a former all star go to a division rival.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Carolina didn’t even take him ‘free’, they traded for him 50% off. Us taking him on waivers would have been fine this year but could have been an $8 million headache next year

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

We have two centers and just lost a speedy center. He's expensive for sure, but my point is that we sat on our hands and let a former all star go to a division rival.
The Devils didn’t go ahead and take on a huge contract that may be an albatross to fill a role that isn’t an issue right now.

If you want to take on a forward who may be many millions of dollars overpaid next year, there are probably a bunch of teams out there that will be happy to hang you with one.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

The Devils are struggling to make the playoffs, and it's not because they're missing a top 6 center who doesn't play much defense. Even at half the cost, he's getting more than Haula this year and next year. It's not a good way to gamble cap space.

If you're upset with missing out on players, Wennberg probably would be a better target. He's more what the Devils need and cost a 2nd and 4th. Of course, he's a pure rental, and I don't think the Devils needed to add those. IMO, the Devils are better off looking at a 3C like him in the offseason where the cost is cap space only instead of assets and cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: NJDevs26

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Welp... he's a PPG player with wheels and doing great there and our third center is.. *checks notes*... nobody. That's all I was saying, but hey, we can always sign another Tierney.

The Devils are struggling to make the playoffs, and it's not because they're missing a top 6 center who doesn't play much defense. Even at half the cost, he's getting more than Haula this year and next year. It's not a good way to gamble cap space.

If you're upset with missing out on players, Wennberg probably would be a better target. He's more what the Devils need and cost a 2nd and 4th. Of course, he's a pure rental, and I don't think the Devils needed to add those. IMO, the Devils are better off looking at a 3C like him in the offseason where the cost is cap space only instead of assets and cap.

Not thinking of this year. I'm thinking of longer term - what the team needs to build a contender going forward. This year is a total loss, and it's a total loss because the roster as currently composed isn't hacking it.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Welp... he's a PPG player with wheels and doing great there and our third center is.. *checks notes*... nobody. That's all I was saying, but hey, we can always sign another Tierney.

Not thinking of this year. I'm thinking of longer term - what the team needs to build a contender going forward. This year is a total loss, and it's a total loss because the roster as currently composed isn't hacking it.
It’s been 3 years since he was a PPG player, it doesn’t help support your argument to pull stuff out of the air.

Tierney actually only scored at half the rate of Kuznetsov last year.

Kuznetsov is not what they need to be a contender next season. A no defense guy who doesn’t have big numbers the last 2 years, is coming off major personal issues, and is highly paid is a bad gamble when scoring is not your teams major issue.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Kuznetsov was dogging it for years now and has very well documented drug issues. I hope he’s figured it out and is getting the help he needs but his attitude would not have helped here regardless.

Reactions: Darkauron

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I don't think Kuznetsov made sense in NJ even at 50% off although he plays with pace and centers with pace are not easy to find. NJ may have to add 2 this offseason, at least one to replace McLeod. Carolina makes some gambles that I really respect (Kotkaniemi I loved the idea behind even if it looks like it's not gonna work out) and that one might have been one that gets them the cup.

Points to another strategy to get key role players too, get overpaid guys on the tail end of their deals who would be bought out otherwise with retention for cheap. Colorado tried the same thing with 50% retained Ryan Johansen and it didn't work out so it's a gamble.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I get the frustration, but NJ could actually use a McLeod replacement which is a different type of player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad