Around the NHL 2023-2024

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Not a good offseason to be competing for a new HC. One more reason why Bannister makes a lot of sense right now.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Keefe absolutely had to go. He should have gone last year if they weren't going to move a member of the core, but he absolutely couldn't be brought back again this summer. I think he's a better coach than he gets credit for when people are blasting some of his comments in the media and whoever replaces him very well might be a worse coach in a vacuum. But he ran out of answers for the public long ago, the PP has disappeared in the playoffs across his entire tenure, the team has repeatedly laid eggs early in rounds to dig themselves into 3-1 series holes, and there is a real chance that NMCs prevent them from making the roster changes they may or may not want to make this summer.

There was just no way you could run it back with him next season, even if you firmly believed that he wasn't part of the problem.

Here's hoping they grab Berube. I'd love to see Berube come in to try and fix that locker room in the sport's biggest media spotlight and you know damn well that he wouldn't be getting a pay cut to coach Toronto. That would let the Blues off the hook for all of the remaining money owed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Disagree with this. This isn't pro wrestling, thank God, with heels and faces and fake drama. We've had good rivalries in the past with the Redwing and the kings because they were good teams that we met often in the playoffs and had our number. They didn't need a villain to make those series compelling.

Good, skilled hockey trumps dirty Hockey. I'd rather watch a Gretzky highlight reel over a Sean Avery one any day. Are Blues fans pining forplayers like Ott/Laperriere or Turgeon/MacInnis? Thomas is far from dirty. Will you trade him for Wilson?

I do see your point but I prefer Tony Twist highlights to Gretzky highlights hands down. Also, if it wasn't for people that you apparently look down on then Gretzky would have never been able to do what he did.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Not going to lie... Watching Edmonton blow their 4-1 lead was pretty funny last night. Lots of really odd looking goals scored last night. JT Miller's deflection from way out wide and Garland GWG looked highly improbable.

I get that Vancouver isn't a popular team with many on the board here, but as the "local" team for me I root for them to succeed. That series is shaping to be more entertaining than I expected.

Edit: local meaning it's the only BC based NHL team. Both Edmonton and Vancouver are about 8-9 hours drive away from me.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Bannister signing going to be even worse when Carolina gets swept and they fire their coach.

Reactions: Ranksu

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
The Rangers/Canes series has been fun to watch
the good part about the higher seed winning every first round series (except colorado who was favored anyway) is that the 2nd round series feature 8 really good teams and have been much, much better hockey than the first round series (other than dallas-vegas which was great).

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Hilarious that Keefe has been fired before his contract extension even kicked in.

Dallas did almost everything in their power to blow a 4 goal lead in game 2.

Reactions: Fez Whatley

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
That is becoming more common practice, Hakstol in Seattle was fired before his extension started and I believe one or two others as well.
The carousel is getting ridiculous.

The Canadiens hired Marty St. Louis a little over 2 years ago. He’s currently the 5th most tenured coach in the league.

Drew Bannister is more tenured than 11 other coaches (or vacancies that will eventually be filled). Put another way, since the Blues fired Berube, ELEVEN other coaches have also been fired. That’s nuts!

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Really happy the Canes are down 3-0 their fanbase has become one of my least favorite.

Why? Not looking to argue. I'm just genuinely curious. Canes are the team I'm rooting for in the East. They are fun to watch with their high volume shot game, and I like several of their players. I also like the city of Raleigh a lot.

I don't interact with their fans though. What do they do to make you dislike them?

Edit: Also wasn't Carolina the board that did the bandwagon draft where playoff team's could draft Carolina fans to jump on their bandwagon? This ones we drafted were super cool, and that is just a fun thing.

Last edited:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

The Canadiens hired Marty St. Louis a little over 2 years ago. He’s currently the 5th most tenured coach in the league.

Drew Bannister is more tenured than 11 other coaches (or vacancies that will eventually be filled). Put another way, since the Blues fired Berube, ELEVEN other coaches have also been fired. That’s nuts!
10. Bowness Retired.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015

10. Bowness Retired.
Tourigny has been Arizona's HC for the past 3 seasons and was retained in the Utah move, so he'd be the 5th most tenured coach, and only 9 coaches behind Bannister.

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
Really? I find them some of the most levelheaded fans overall. It’s the closest arena to where I live, so I’m hoping to catch a game there next year.
Agreed, that's been my experience as well. I went to the Blues game in Raleigh this year and had a pleasant experience. Very knowledgeable and friendly people eager to talk hockey.

Side note, the location of their arena is a little strange, feels like it was dropped in the middle of suburbia. Imagine if the Blues played in Ballwin.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Tourigny has been Arizona's HC for the past 3 seasons and was retained in the Utah move, so he'd be the 5th most tenured coach, and only 9 coaches behind Bannister.
I’m interested to see what he can do with a roster that is poised to start emerging from it’s rebuild and especially under an owner that is ready to pump some money into the team, and a franchise that will finally have some stability and normal operations.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Not going to lie... Watching Edmonton blow their 4-1 lead was pretty funny last night. Lots of really odd looking goals scored last night. JT Miller's deflection from way out wide and Garland GWG looked highly improbable.

I get that Vancouver isn't a popular team with many on the board here, but as the "local" team for me I root for them to succeed. That series is shaping to be more entertaining than I expected.

Edit: local meaning it's the only BC based NHL team. Both Edmonton and Vancouver are about 8-9 hours drive away from me.
Prince George?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad