Around the NHL 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I wouldn't say its tainted but it is different. Tampa winning it makes it less so. Dallas was a team that was well on their way to barely making it so they caught a break.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
How tough is the Central Division?

Since 2008, 8 of the Western Conference representatives were from the Central Division. 8 of 13!

Detroit 2008
Detroit 2009
Chicago 2010
Chicago 2013
Chicago 2015
Nashville 2017
St. Louis 2019
Dallas 2020

It's no wonder it's hard for teams to have success when almost every one could be considered a cup contender.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
The Lightning are a good example of not blowing it up. This build began in 2010 with the hiring of Steve Yzerman (kind of 08 with Stamkos and then Hedman). Went to the Final in 2015 and then had some question marks in the following seasons, especially after last season's loss to Columbus. But they never did anything drastic, just slowly turned the gears and replaced a handful of players each season. Only 6-7 players that won the Cup were on that 2015 team.

The Preds finished 2020 with 12 players from the 2017 squad. There are a lot of similarities between the two, and while we've been frustrated with the team's performance of the last handful of seasons, keeping the gears turning and plugging in a few pieces here and there is almost certainly better than blowing it up.

Getting through the expansion draft and hopefully a fast economic recovery, finding some contributions from upcoming prospects and adding the right veterans can see this team back in the legit contender category in a couple of seasons.

Reactions: sparkle twin

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
If I didn't despised Rads and Perry so much I'd have some empathy for the Stars. They basically had a carbon copy of our 2017 postseason... squeak in, ride hot goalie to finals, lose in 6 to more talented team...

Reactions: Bozo Nicholson

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Congratulations to TB and Byrddog.
Thanks I will be honest with you the Blue Jackets played the Bolts better than any team they faced, Every game both teams emptied all the effort they had. I was disappointed against the Stars that the allowed them to win that second game this team is so good they have periods of just going thru the motions. Now to keep the band together is going to be tough. I would like Poile to go after a couple of Tampa's players if in fact they have to move Killorn he would be a good fit on the 2nd line here. I wanted Poile to try to get him back before he signed his last contract. Also Carter Verhaghe would be a nice addition the kid is ready to play up in the line-up now there is just no where for him in Tampa and little Cap to resign him. My Smith in Tampa is Cirelli I hope they move him but most of the fans think he can walk on water while like Smith he will have a good game or two and go missing in action for long stretches.

Two of my four teams had great years Tampa and Colorado but the Preds and the Sabers were disappointing. The good thing in about two months it may start again for us all. If the league can get butts in seats to open thats the only way I see a season opening. This offseason is going to be brutal to most teams with no cap increase and there are going to be some big names bought out and there will be some stars headed to Europe to play next season.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Want your opinion guys, let's say the Preds go as cheep as they can. Would this work?

JOFA
Hook-Duchene-Tomasino
Tolvanen-Sissons-Grimaldi
Trenin-Blackwell-Watson
Pitlick

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Fabbro
Davies-Carrier
Tinordi

Saros
Rinne

1st pick-TBA, Bonino traded for his contract, Santini and Turris boughtout. 11.97 Million under cap. 22 players

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Want your opinion guys, let's say the Preds go as cheep as they can. Would this work?

JOFA
Hook-Duchene-Tomasino
Trenin-Blackwell-Watson
Pitlick

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Fabbro
Davies-Carrier
Tinordi

Saros
Rinne

1st pick-TBA, Bonino traded for his contract, Santini and Turris boughtout. 11.97 Million under cap. 22 players
But why?

And that roster has a decent shot at missing the playoffs.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

JOFA
Hook-Duchene-Tomasino
Trenin-Blackwell-Watson
Pitlick

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Fabbro
Davies-Carrier
Tinordi

Saros
Rinne

That is a roster that is 80 points or less. And while I agree with you every GM knows Poile is screwed many of them are in a similar situation needing to move Cap out and add quality at a lessor price. There is going to be plenty of players available and Turris is not attractive even with retention.

But there is a method to the madness of giving those young guys a shot at some point you have to know if they are NHL players or not. The downside historically 20% of players will play more than 200 games in the league so chances are only one of those ELC's will make it. In reality stand pat Poile will Poile and it is going to be painful for a few years until The Turris, Duchene, Johansan contracts are flushed out.

However I could see the ownership buying into this due to the team losing money. Not only hockey revenue has been slashed the usage of the arena is zero for the forseeable future. This group will not stand for losing money at the clip next season will if in fact there is a season.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
It's going to be an interesting offseason. I'm waiting to see which RFAs don't get extended qualifying offers. Poile may be able to pick up a cheap youngish forward for real cheap. I think this is going to be a pretty lean year due to loss of revenue for the owners. With the arena closed most this year, they've probably been hemorrhaging money still having to pay the players without having any tickets sold or vendor money or concerts in the downtime between games. Not even sure what the rules are going to be in relation to having butts in the stands so they aren't even sure if they'll make any ticket money this season as well.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Thanks, never heard of him but saw he’d been in the league awhile.
Had flashes in Ottawa, but wasn't very good for Toronto (and they overpaid him). Granted, nobody looks good defensively in Toronto (unless you're purely talking about defensemen putting up points). Maybe a cheap, short-term contract to play on the 3rd pair though? There are probably worse options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille