Around the NHL 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Must be a repressed blank-space in some of your short-term memories. We had the Blues and Bruins last year. There are few teams and fanbases more unlikeable than either. The only saving grace to one of them inevitably winning was that at least the other lost.

Reactions: hockey diva

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I was still living in St. Louis during their Cup run last year so it was hard to not get swept up in the fun of it for me even though I generally don't like the Blues. Knowing a lot of Blues fans in real life they are generally much less obnoxious than the posters I've seen here but I know your mileage may vary. I know that's probably treasonous to many here but that's my reasoning at least.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The Bolts are nicked up pretty bad right now. Pointe and Kuch have nagging injuries and Cirelli has not been good since coming back from the CoVid break. As much as I want to be optomistic they are going to struggle with the Stars.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Dallas is basically praying Khudobin keeps hot. They have faced some good players, but as a team Tampa can make you pay for little mistakes.

I'll root for Tampa but doubt I'll bother watching.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
This is basically Tampa finally living up to their potential. They have had the best roster in hockey for at least 3 years but kept failing in the playoffs. I hope they go ahead and finish this thing off.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
This is basically Tampa finally living up to their potential. They have had the best roster in hockey for at least 3 years but kept failing in the playoffs. I hope they go ahead and finish this thing off.

I’m in this camp as well. They’ve been up there for so long I now think it’s their turn. Dallas’ run has been mostly based on luck and epic goaltending so I think Tampa deserves it more.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Has St. Louis made a fatal mistake balking at paying Pietrangelo? This would be good if so...

I think their fatal mistake was signing Faulk to the deal they gave him. If Tarasenko ends up being done and Binnington stays pedestrian like he has been recently things aren’t looking good for their window though. Really I think they were a bit like us where everything came together for a season and a half but weren’t quite dynasty caliber. Difference unfortunately is they managed to win the Cup when they got there.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I’m in this camp as well. They’ve been up there for so long I now think it’s their turn. Dallas’ run has been mostly based on luck and epic goaltending so I think Tampa deserves it more.
I can not say that any team deserves it. St Louis sure did not DESERVE it. I will say it is time for Tampa to live up to the hype. Last years embarrassment was a attitude adjustment. I have to admit this is no0w the most complete team there has been in hockey for a number of years. The addition of Coleman and Goodrow has provided the extra grit the team sorely needed. And to my surprise Bogo has been really good, better than any year he had in Buffalo by a good margin.

There are two keys to the series the bolts have to quit taking 3 or more trips to the box every night. And of course goaltending Khudobin has done what Dallas needed to make a run. Vasy has been really good but has been good for a few softies as well, at some point he is going to need to steal a game.

The worst outcome would be Perry handing the Cup to Raduturd.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I can not say that any team deserves it. St Louis sure did not DESERVE it. I will say it is time for Tampa to live up to the hype. Last years embarrassment was a attitude adjustment. I have to admit this is no0w the most complete team there has been in hockey for a number of years. The addition of Coleman and Goodrow has provided the extra grit the team sorely needed. And to my surprise Bogo has been really good, better than any year he had in Buffalo by a good margin.

There are two keys to the series the bolts have to quit taking 3 or more trips to the box every night. And of course goaltending Khudobin has done what Dallas needed to make a run. Vasy has been really good but has been good for a few softies as well, at some point he is going to need to steal a game.

The worst outcome would be Perry handing the Cup to Raduturd.

Well. We are only 3 wins away from that nightmare coming true.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I don't really care. Dallas may win it but they got lucky with the stop. In a normal year with the way they were free falling they may not have even made the playoffs.

Whoever wins it will go on record, but it will always have " that Covid year " attached to it.

I really don't think it's a tainted year. I would argue it's been a different kind of grind with the bubble and having to play such a condensed schedule.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I don't really care. Dallas may win it but they got lucky with the stop. In a normal year with the way they were free falling they may not have even made the playoffs.

Whoever wins it will go on record, but it will always have " that Covid year " attached to it.
Things are just coming together for them at the exact right time is all (and the season also "ended" for them at just the right time). That defense is going to keep them competitive, but I don't see them being in the top tier going forward.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Dallas could have easily won it last year too. They seem to just be extremely streaky but when they are on a hot streak they are a very good team.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I really don't think it's a tainted year. I would argue it's been a different kind of grind with the bubble and having to play such a condensed schedule.
It will always be referred to as the Covid Cup, so yeah it will be. There may be no asterisk but in most fans minds it will always be different.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Things are just coming together for them at the exact right time is all (and the season also "ended" for them at just the right time). That defense is going to keep them competitive, but I don't see them being in the top tier going forward.
Well Bishop can't hold up and Khudobin is an UFA I believe so that may put them in a bind. They've also had some young guys get extremely hot and as we've seen in the past that doesn't always translate to the next year.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder if Florida liked Hornqvist better than Turris --- or more likely if Poile simply wasn't even looking at Matheson? :dunno:

Anyway, if we've crossed Buffalo and Florida off the list now as the most likely places we might have been able to drop Turris... it looks more and more like we'll just be keeping him, right? Buyout window opens Friday, though.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Sounds like that Matheson trade isn't final afterall. I thought Weekes would have been trustworthy.

I think Florida would be nuts to take Hornqvist over Turris, mind you. They do need the center. But they probably also aren't looking to spend money?

I would certainly take Stralman for him, though, if that was available. It's still only $4.5M + $5.5M, which is cheaper than the $16M buyout or some of the other bad-contract-back scenarios that are out there. Less risky also than the term on Matheson, albeit with basically zero upside - where Matheson you might at least have dared to dream that somehow he got himself sorted out with a change in scenery.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Matheson is going to blossom away from Florida and Quenneville. Can score 10+20 and skate 21-22 mins a night. I'd take him on the Preds in a heartbeat if we wouldn't have Josi and Ekholm ahead of him. Watch Matheson get paired with Letang and then everyone on HF being like "where did this guy come from?"

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Matheson is going to blossom away from Florida and Quenneville. Can score 10+20 and skate 21-22 mins a night. I'd take him on the Preds in a heartbeat if we wouldn't have Josi and Ekholm ahead of him. Watch Matheson get paired with Letang and then everyone on HF being like "where did this guy come from?"
I wouldn't state that with high confidence, but at least it is certainly a possibility. There's at least potential recoverable upside to Matheson, which isn't the case with most of the contract-dump types we talk about.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Turris for Stralman? Florida still needs centers.
Florida fan: I was thinking this and need to think more. Part of me wants to see how Stralman is this year with a consistent D partner and duration. Would you want to do it straight up?

W.r.t to Matheson and Hornqvist, I think the extra year when we need to re-sign Huberdeau could be the problem. But I'd be happy with either trade (and would not be surprised if Hornqavist falls through and it happens)

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->