Around the NHL 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
Just a little funny. Read today in Swedish media that Swedish goalie legend Tommy Salo got pissed at Arvy (calling him disrespectful etc) for stating that he made something of a "Tommy Salo goal" vs the Yotes during Christmas. Goal is part of a national failure when we got knocked out of the Olympics by Belarus.

Reactions: GoldOnGold

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Just a little funny. Read today in Swedish media that Swedish goalie legend Tommy Salo got pissed at Arvy (calling him disrespectful etc) for stating that he made something of a "Tommy Salo goal" vs the Yotes during Christmas. Goal is part of a national failure when we got knocked out of the Olympics by Belarus.

What a jackass. When you screw up like that you might as well just own it and laugh it off.

Edit, although Salo has a point, Arvys goal wasnt like the one he gave up, because Arvys wasnt from center ice...

Reactions: NNCbama

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
We basically ate a little salary in the Santini contract unless he actually contributes. Considering our current d man situation, and him not being on the ice, I’m not expecting much.
True but buried Santini's caphit is only $341,667. That's pretty easy to handle comparatively. One more year after this and we don't extend him a qualifying offer and he's off the books. Otherwise... he could be bought out in the summer... caphits from buyout: 20-21 - $41,667 and 21-22 $275,000. So that'd save us some space.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
True but buried Santini's caphit is only $341,667. That's pretty easy to handle comparatively. One more year after this and we don't extend him a qualifying offer and he's off the books. Otherwise... he could be bought out in the summer... caphits from buyout: 20-21 - $41,667 and 21-22 $275,000. So that'd save us some space.

I just pulled this from capfriendly but I could be overlooking something. When you say 'buried' it could mean that since he is in the AHL it doesn't count as much? If so I need to better understand how to read this site.

Cap Hit: $1,416,667

Steven Santini - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I just pulled this from capfriendly but I could be overlooking something. When you say 'buried' it could mean that since he is in the AHL it doesn't count as much? If so I need to better understand how to read this site.

Cap Hit: $1,416,667

Steven Santini - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Yeah like you said it's because when you have a player on a one-way contract in the AHL you get salary cap relief up to the league minimum salary plus $370,000 (so this season that is $1,075,000). Since Santini's NHL cap hit this season is $1,416,667 his cap hit when he's buried in the AHL is only $341,667. That doesn't show on his page, but when you go to the Predators page you can see his cap hit under the Buried section. CapFriendly has a really good FAQs page that describes it as well as some of the other CBA intricacies.

Reactions: LCPreds

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Yeah like you said it's because when you have a player on a one-way contract in the AHL you get salary cap relief up to the league minimum salary plus $370,000 (so this season that is $1,075,000). Since Santini's NHL cap hit this season is $1,416,667 his cap hit when he's buried in the AHL is only $341,667. That doesn't show on his page, but when you go to the Predators page you can see his cap hit under the Buried section. CapFriendly has a really good FAQs page that describes it as well as some of the other CBA intricacies.
and since league minimum salary goes up with the cap his buried caphit next season will cost slightly less then it does this season

Reactions: LCPreds

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Man is it rough being a Preds fan on HF these days, ever since the Cup run we went from darlings to hated, and when we finally hit a struggling season there is thread after thread after thread on the main boards to drag us down. Best I can tell, is that everyone else got jealous of our arena atmosphere and turned it into hate because they don't have what we have. I know that sounds petty, but I can't think of any better explanation.

Reactions: sparkle twin

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Man is it rough being a Preds fan on HF these days, ever since the Cup run we went from darlings to hated, and when we finally hit a struggling season there is thread after thread after thread on the main boards to drag us down. Best I can tell, is that everyone else got jealous of our arena atmosphere and turned it into hate because they don't have what we have. I know that sounds petty, but I can't think of any better explanation.

Perspective matters. Frame this as the "main boards" and the rest of HF is just periphery.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah I have very little interest in a bunch of people who see at most a couple of ours games a season opinions on our team. Look no further than the multiple threads about how our struggles are somehow Duchene's fault. At least on the Preds boards I know that while I might disagree with people that their opinions are generally grounded in at least having watched the games.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I give it a 20% chance Kassian destroys a Flames forward not names Tkachuk on the Jan 29th game when the teams meet again.

That's gonna be can't miss TV

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Gotta admit, i think the hits ka chuck was laying out deserved the treatment kassian gave. Ka chuck is looking like a straight punk in the scenario.

Both of the Tkachuk's are getting a reputation, which is surprising because offspring of NHLers usually come up and play the game the right way. I guess Keith was too busy at the buffet to teach his kids proper manners.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Both of the Tkachuk's are getting a reputation, which is surprising because offspring of NHLers usually come up and play the game the right way. I guess Keith was too busy at the buffet to teach his kids proper manners.
Ha ha! Thats mean man!

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Tkachuk's playing style was basically exactly the same as his kids though so it shouldn't be that surprising I guess.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Call me whatever you can, but Tkachuk did nothing wrong, he played the body on a guy who has the puck and got his bell rung for those hits. Tkachuk could mostly be called for charging but he did everything right to make it as safe for Kassian to take the hit.
Kassian deserved all what he got from the situation.

The whole situation was blown out of proportion because of the Canadian media.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Call me whatever you can, but Tkachuk did nothing wrong, he played the body on a guy who has the puck and got his bell rung for those hits. Tkachuk could mostly be called for charging but he did everything right to make it as safe for Kassian to take the hit.
Kassian deserved all what he got from the situation.

The whole situation was blown out of proportion because of the Canadian media.
The clips I saw looked like the turtle got mostly numbers on both hits....didn't study them closely though.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
So Gallant just got fired and the Knights hired DeBoer. Should serve as in interesting comparison to us moving forward. Two teams with big offseason additions (if you count Stone as that) who underachieved, fired their coach, and rehired one who had been previously fired earlier in the season.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Wow Gallant fired already? Absolutely amazing that a 3 year old franchise can have such high expectations.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wow Gallant fired already? Absolutely amazing that a 3 year old franchise can have such high expectations.
Yeah, that seems a bit extreme. Although it wasn't entirely clear that their 1st year success would be something that lineup could sustain, they've definitely been active making further player additions (Stone, Pacioretty, Stastny) to ensure that it was indeed sustainable. I would have though Gallant's 1st year successes would still have earned him more rope than this. Pretty shocking.

Some other teams are certainly going to feel temptation to change coaches in the ongoing ripple effect... now that you have a Gallant and Laviolette on the market, it has to make it a whole lot easier to pull the trigger for any other teams out there who might have been on the fence with their coach. :dunno:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Very surprised by Gallant be fired. Didn't everyone expect this team to have a let down at some point? They are still an expansion team and were going to see depth issues at some point, right? I mean they're in a slump but damn it's the first time they've been out of the playoffs, what, ever? And not even giving the coach that has accomplished so much a chance to right the ship? Wow, just wow.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad