Around the NHL 2018-19, Part 7: RIP Your Playoff Bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

Housley made a comment after the Isles loss at the end of the season on how they were a 'heavy team' that really stuck with me at the time. Having those players in the second half and playoffs is important and you can't build a time just around small, fast players. Right now, I don't see many of those guys in the org and hopefully the changes he is going to make this summer will address some of that.

You also can't discount the cup trinity of Selke-Vezina-Norris formula for a cup winning team. Both Boston and St Louis come very close to having all those elements of their team.

Reactions: Chainshot

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I really liked what I've seen of Vince Dunn this postseason so I took a look at his numbers and HOLY HELL

a5031c356f.png

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I gotta admit: I kinda like the NHL season ending in May. The June games always felt too late to me, so props to the Sharks for their work to end the season early.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
An actual Honest to God NHL coach just dismissed speed and skill as not as important as beating teams up. And people wonder why the NHL is the most screwed up league in all of professional sports.
It always comes down to whoever can obstruct the best and battle through obstruction the best wins. The obstruction fest begins in December.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Now that San Jose is out, don’t care about the rest. Either Boston wins, and I don’t like it, or St. Louis wins, and I’m reminded of how stupid Botterill is.

I want the team that has never won it to win. I want the team that is not from Boston, and most definitely not the Bruins to win.

And I want O'Reilly to win to remind both Botterill, the owners and the fans of the massive stupidity of that deal and the conversation about why it had to happen. Use it. Make sure the same sort of thing doesn't happen again.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I want the team that has never won it to win. I want the team that is not from Boston, and most definitely not the Bruins to win.

And I want O'Reilly to win to remind both Botterill, the owners and the fans of the massive stupidity of that deal and the conversation about why it had to happen. Use it. Make sure the same sort of thing doesn't happen again.

That’s the thing though.

This organization will live on long past big head, but one of the key stories to St. Louis winning in 2019 will always be how they stole oreilly and got us to take their crap back too.

I feel like buffalo fans lose this series either way.

Reactions: joshjull

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Last 2 games yes, cause SJ is broken (Hertl, Pav, Karlsson today...) and particularly Karlsson who either when he plays on half a leg or doesnt is a hole you cant just patch.

Injuries happen. They were hurt and tired.

But also note that as the series progressed Couture, Meire and Kane became less and less effective. Toothless Man Bun (Burns) was not a factor. Jumbo showed his age and degrading skills. (Some of his power fwd play attempts in the O zone were eye roll worthy - go wide with the puck deep behind the goal line and blindly try to center the puck out in front.... hopefully, someone will be there. Yep St. Louis players were always there!)

Jones gave up goals when he really needed to make saves. Sharks had zero confidence he could hold the line for them as the series went on.

DeBoers and staff were outcoached by the St Louis staff. bench management, tactics, player usage, across the board.

I don't think Karlsson wins this series for them even if healthy.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That’s the thing though.

This organization will live on long past big head, but one of the key stories to St. Louis winning in 2019 will always be how they stole oreilly and got us to take their crap back too.

Or they build a winner and it becomes the "Hasek for peanuts" deal that Hawk fans had to endure prior to their multiple recent Cup banners. It becomes part of the lore of the team, cautionary, in the same fashion as any of a multitude of poorly executed trades are regarded. Patrick Roy, the Jagr deal to the Caps, Hasek being dealt by the Hawks, the Kurvers-for-a-pick deal... the league is pockmarked with beauties like this that serve as reminders of the hubris of the people making the deal and how it can often blow up in one's face.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
That’s the thing though.

I think its going to be good and very watchable hockey. People need to put their emotions aside on this one.....

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I'm afraid I will be intellectually routing for Boston, but we'll see where my emotions take me once I start watching the games. My motivation is for the Sabres not to move up the 'never won' list.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Or they build a winner and it becomes the "Hasek for peanuts" deal that Hawk fans had to endure prior to their multiple recent Cup banners. It becomes part of the lore of the team, cautionary, in the same fashion as any of a multitude of poorly executed trades are regarded. Patrick Roy, the Jagr deal to the Caps, Hasek being dealt by the Hawks, the Kurvers-for-a-pick deal... the league is pockmarked with beauties like this that serve as reminders of the hubris of the people making the deal and how it can often blow up in one's face.

That’s the dream. I hope we’re the next 2009-2015 hawks. I won’t hold my breath though.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I think its going to be good and very watchable hockey. People need to put their emotions aside on this one.....

It’s going to be a lot of heavy clashing with heavy, and a lot of dirty goals and depth scoring.

Emotions aside, it won’t be my favorite brand of hockey. I’d prefer Tampa v Vegas.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

The key word in DeBoers statement was "organized". Indeed the Blues certainly were very organized. Support, support, support.

The Blues also are quick, reactive and have incredible stick/puck winning possession skills in traffic and along the boards. They ALWAYS managed to come out of any scrum with the puck. It was amazing to see.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
It’s going to be a lot of heavy clashing with heavy, and a lot of dirty goals and depth scoring.

Emotions aside, it won’t be my favorite brand of hockey. I’d prefer Tampa v Vegas.

I will watch to see how Cassidy handles and adjusts and counters the Blues game. (or visa versa if the Bruins are able to dictate....)

No one has been able to beat St Louis at their own game consistently since January. For me, it's a coaching dual.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I will watch to see how Cassidy handles and adjusts and counters the Blues game. (or visa versa if the Bruins are able to dictate....)

No one has been able to beat St Louis at their own game consistently since January. For me, it's a coaching dual.

I really love Berube's method of using his blueline to re-establish the cycle. He doesn't have them pounding pucks into legs, he has them laying it into the boards so that the forwards can get to work low. And they buy in. They cycle so well. I can count on one hand the number of times any Blue has moved himself and the puck toward the blueline from the half-wall at even strength. It goes back deep, and then they support one another.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I really love Berube's method of using his blueline to re-establish the cycle. He doesn't have them pounding pucks into legs, he has them laying it into the boards so that the forwards can get to work low. And they buy in. They cycle so well. I can count on one hand the number of times any Blue has moved himself and the puck toward the blueline from the half-wall at even strength. It goes back deep, and then they support one another.
I think the key point in your post is “they buy in”. In this day and age it seems to be what the best coaches do. They get buy in from their entire team. Something our last two coaches couldn’t get. Strategy and tactics obviously matter but without out buy in they won’t be fully realized.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think key point in your post is “they buy in”. In this days and age it seems to be what the best coaches do. They get buy in from their entire team. Something our last two coaches couldn’t get.

It's the biggest hope I have for all the talk about Krueger.

And it's also heartening to see someone like Binnington come out of obscurity to fix a team's long-term problems. It's possible. Rare... but possible. :D

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
With the Bruins back in the Final it made me think of the Seguin trade. Maybe it can be our “Tyler isn’t Bruins material” trade.

Reactions: Dingo44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
With the Bruins back in the Final it made me think of the Seguin trade. Maybe it can be our “Tyler isn’t Bruins material” trade.

Or that they kind of botched the Thornton deal. Maybe a good organization can overcome it by identifying their core, getting them signed to good deals, and building from within. Hell, they even are viewed as having botched three first rounders and yet they still manage to churn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad