Around the NHL 2017-18: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So Pat Lafontaine said on SN590 "that there's consensus in the hockey world to move to a 19-year-old draft." Interesting if true. Definitely a hand out to some of the older players by limiting the number of ELCs entering the league for a year. Also keeps more talent in Junior.

However, it should lead to stronger drafting by most teams. An extra year to evaluate kids, and an extra year of development for them will definitely allow more of the cream to rise to the top.

I think it would be great from the League's perspective. Also for the CHL.

In general I'm not a fan of the age limits. I think if you're an adult, you should be able to pursue your passion and your career without restriction. Now obviously the NHL doesn't have to agree and could put an age limit in place, I just wouldn't feel good about it.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I think it would be great from the League's perspective. Also for the CHL.

In general I'm not a fan of the age limits. I think if you're an adult, you should be able to pursue your passion and your career without restriction. Now obviously the NHL doesn't have to agree and could put an age limit in place, I just wouldn't feel good about it.

There are always going to be exceptions, but I honestly don't understand why the draft isn't pushed back even more. I mean, has anyone done an ROI analysis on NHL scouting? It has to be pretty ugly with the draft being such a crapshoot.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If you are old enough to be drafted into a war to fight and die for your country you are old enough to be eligible for the NHL draft.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
As good as he is a hockey player, Drew Doughty is twice as sorry of a human being.

"I want to win Cups, I don't give a **** who I play for"

So every fan that paid to see you, and every fan that bought your jersey, and every kid that wants to grow up to be you, **** 'em, right Drew?

And your teammates, too. **** them. Jonathan Quick with his Conn Smythe, and Justin Williams with his Conn Smythe, and Anze Kopitar with one the better playoff scoring records in the league today. "Don't give a ****" about them either. Means to end, so I, the great Drew Doughty, can win the Stanley Cup.

Guess what, little boy - you already have two. And if you finish your career with two, you should be thankful every day because that's two more than most guys finish with.

Guys never win Cups, guys toil between the NHL and the minors their whole careers just to make a living, guys are affected in their personal lives every day from PCS and other injuries, and Clint Malarchuk nearly ****ing died on the ice, but we should feel bad for Drew Doughty because Fatso didn't win his third Cup last year.

And even if you never won it, how long did Ray Bourque put up with Boston? How long did Rod Gilbert put up with the Rangers? How long have Ovy and EK put up with Washington and Ottawa and will continue to do so? Lundqvist has said he will finish here. The Sedin Twins have told Vancouver 'don't Bourque us, we want to finish here.' That's called loyalty. It's called a shred of human decency. It's something you'll never have, Drew, no matter how many Cups you win.

And if you wanna make a change to your career, that's your right, but have a private conversation with your team's executives. Don't flap your fat, obnoxious mouth to the media that you may not re-sign, and drive the value down for the organization that gave you everything you have in this league.

Prepare for a year or more of Doughty proposals. You won't see any from me. I'd rather have ****ing Girardi back on this team. At least Girardi resembles a human being.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Doughty doesn't really owe the Kings anything, so I don't see an issue with it. He probably wants to play with McDavid or in his home province.

I think it's worse when guys are two-faced like a Kariya/Parise that give false promises to their fanbase.

It's not like he's requesting a trade either. He's putting pressure on his management to build a winner around him again. Win-win even if they can't, the Kings are old and ready to rebuild anyways.

I think he will garner one of the best returns in NHL trade history if they move him.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I don't really like or follow the NBA but I do have friends in college basketball who have told me that moving the draft age back a year to 19 has worked well for league and most players. While there will always be some griping, the biggest thing I've heard is that it has kept some 18 year olds from making very bad mistakes. Perhaps this move would come coupled with some opportunity to let advanced 19 year olds play in the AHL.

The biggest downside is that it would make for one awful draft class.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Doughty doesn't really owe the Kings anything, so I don't see an issue with it. He probably wants to play with McDavid or in his home province.

I think it's worse when guys are two-faced like a Kariya/Parise that give false promises to their fanbase.

It's not like he's requesting a trade either. He's putting pressure on his management to build a winner around him again. Win-win even if they can't, the Kings are old and ready to rebuild anyways.

I think he will garner one of the best returns in NHL trade history if they move him.

He can play with McDavid without publicly throwing his teammates and every Kings fan under the bus.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If you are old enough to be drafted into a war to fight and die for your country you are old enough to be eligible for the NHL draft.

That's pretty much my perspective as well. However, if the NHL thinks they're protecting the interests of their clubs and in turn creating a better product by making guys wait through another year of development before hitting the draft, I can certainly understand that.

It's tough to project teenagers; a guy might look like a stud at 17-18 and then have a bad year at 18-19, giving teams more insight into who he is and what he can do. Conversely a guy may be a middling prospect at 17-18, and then experience a big growth spurt to 6'1" or something making him a more appealing prospect. There's also some amount of mental and emotional development that should be taking place there.

I don't know. Again, if a guy is a legal adult he ought to be able to begin pursuit of his professional career. And what about the exceptional cases? Should we make the "exceptional talent" guys wait a year? The CHL has a rule for those guys, also as evidenced by our very own Sean Day, the exceptional talents aren't even a sure thing.

An age minimum of 19 for draft eligibility is probably something I wouldn't love, but I would understand the logic behind it and probably would not end up really caring about it.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
That's pretty much my perspective as well. However, if the NHL thinks they're protecting the interests of their clubs and in turn creating a better product by making guys wait through another year of development before hitting the draft, I can certainly understand that.

It's tough to project teenagers; a guy might look like a stud at 17-18 and then have a bad year at 18-19, giving teams more insight into who he is and what he can do. Conversely a guy may be a middling prospect at 17-18, and then experience a big growth spurt to 6'1" or something making him a more appealing prospect. There's also some amount of mental and emotional development that should be taking place there.

I don't know. Again, if a guy is a legal adult he ought to be able to begin pursuit of his professional career. And what about the exceptional cases? Should we make the "exceptional talent" guys wait a year? The CHL has a rule for those guys, also as evidenced by our very own Sean Day, the exceptional talents aren't even a sure thing.

An age minimum of 19 for draft eligibility is probably something I wouldn't love, but I would understand the logic behind it and probably would not end up really caring about it.

Good post. Agreed on everything, though I'm more on the side of it would probably be better for the game. If they did this though, I'd assume the PA will start asking for concessions on when Free Agency can start. They'll most assuredly ask for 6 years of service/25ish years old.

Speaking of Free Agency, that's another issue altogether. I don't doubt that the league wants every team to have a shot at a Stamkos or Tavares, and I also feel that they might want these other clubs to have a shot at these guys in their primes.

I think the limit on contracts should be a variable based on the players previous play. Since FA is dependent on paying for past performance and not future, if you had failed in the past, you shouldn't be able to get an 8 year deal.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would be cautious about doing an offer sheet.

We have like 52 RFA's next year and could face revenge from a team that's tearing it down and has nothing better to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad