Around the NHL 2015-16, Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Yzerman will get value for him. If he is worth little now that isn't going to change in the next few weeks. I don't understand the mentality to just get rid of him because reasons.

I think Wings fans would have been fully onboard with a trade for Drouin before this stuff hit the headlines for Mantha, Bertuzzi, and 1st. Now I suspect DRW fans would scoff at Jurco + 3rd.

It looks like most fans in the trade thread are trying to peddle their under-achiving prospects/busts + conditional draft picks for Drouin.

While I agree this means nothing, but this situation does seem to leave a sour taste in everyones mouth. Whatever the return Drouin brings now will be less than it would have been before the news hit the headlines. Based on that simple fact alone, Yzerman made an ill-conceived gamble lost.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think Wings fans would have been fully onboard with a trade for Drouin before this stuff hit the headlines for Mantha, Bertuzzi, and 1st. Now I suspect DRW fans would scoff at Jurco + 3rd.

It looks like most fans in the trade thread are trying to peddle their under-achiving prospects/busts + conditional draft picks for Drouin.

While I agree this means nothing, but this situation does seem to leave a sour taste in everyones mouth. Whatever the return Drouin brings now will be less than it would have been before the news hit the headlines. Based on that simple fact alone, Yzerman made an ill-conceived gamble lost.

mantha, bertuzzi and a 1st?

where did you read that?

redwingsphan

Apr 25, 2014
I think dotter's right, in that sy shouldn't have drafted him in the first place. He has had issues doing what he's told for awhile now. That was a decision that he has to live with now.

But as far as sy's handling of this situation, I can't really say. Drouin was injured when he went down to the AHL in November, and he hasn't really performed that well since. If I were to ask out of a contract with someone. A move that would presumably require assets coming the other way. I'd probably try to make myself as easy to move as possible. He hasn't done that. I can't really blame him, as he has his own interests to look after. But, I can't blame sy either, for the same reasons. Once drouin asked for the trade, his performance had an effect on his value. If his value was high, he would have been traded. Now it's rock bottom and Sy might as well hold out. Someone will take a chance at some point and give some real value. If not, what's he really have to lose? He has egg on his face either way. I bet most gms aren't looking to move for jd for the simple fact that they don't want this to happen to them.

Last edited:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Reminds me of the Turris situation in Arizona. Both 3rd overall picks. Difference is I think Turris is much, much better. And he did eventually sign a deal that year in November and was traded a month later. Drouin seems to feel he's entitled but I haven't seen the quality that would demand he deserves a spot. He played a few PO's games last spring but I think he looked small and weak. It's the NHL code: play your role or ride the bench, simple as that. The code is so strict it's rare to see this type of disobedience. May be Yzerman could have gotten more out of a trade earlier but Drouin's obviously a difficult personality. No way 29 other teams' opinion of him isn't soured a bit.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Reminds me of the Turris situation in Arizona. Both 3rd overall picks. Difference is I think Turris is much, much better. And he did eventually sign a deal that year in November and was traded a month later. Drouin seems to feel he's entitled but I haven't seen the quality that would demand he deserves a spot. He played a few PO's games last spring but I think he looked small and weak. It's the NHL code: play your role or ride the bench, simple as that. The code is so strict it's rare to see this type of disobedience. May be Yzerman could have gotten more out of a trade earlier but Drouin's obviously a difficult personality. No way 29 other teams' opinion of him isn't soured a bit.

Turris waited until the appropriate time. He was without a contract and in the RFA process. Drouin would be getting a lot less heat (though still some) if that was how this was playing out.

What Drouin is doing is something I cannot remember a player of his minimal track record and contractual status doing. We will see where his head is at when he doesn't get a check next week, maybe then the insanity with which he is approaching this will ring true.

I didn't like it much before the AHL stunt, I thought it was probably playing very poorly around the league with most importantly his peers. He can likely sucker another team in with his talent, but that room is going to see a malcontent self-centered baby at this point... More importantly what they see now is an non-dedicated quitter. Pretty big hole Drouin has put himself in. Guys understand the business even if his tact was already pushing the limits. What they wont understand is a 20 year old that doesn't want to play hockey and quit on his organization and teammates at both levels of it. Tough sell, hope he can figure a way out of it, but he is going to need to be a heck of a lot better at his next stop because he is probably starting behind the eight ball.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Turris waited until the appropriate time. He was without a contract and in the RFA process. Drouin would be getting a lot less heat (though still some) if that was how this was playing out.

What Drouin is doing is something I cannot remember a player of his minimal track record and contractual status doing. We will see where his head is at when he doesn't get a check next week, maybe then the insanity with which he is approaching this will ring true.

I didn't like it much before the AHL stunt, I thought it was probably playing very poorly around the league with most importantly his peers. He can likely sucker another team in with his talent, but that room is going to see a malcontent self-centered baby at this point... More importantly what they see now is an non-dedicated quitter. Pretty big hole Drouin has put himself in. Guys understand the business even if his tact was already pushing the limits. What they wont understand is a 20 year old that doesn't want to play hockey and quit on his organization and teammates at both levels of it. Tough sell, hope he can figure a way out of it, but he is going to need to be a heck of a lot better at his next stop because he is probably starting behind the eight ball.

eric... lindros..

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
As mentioned before, yzerman's first mistake in this process was taking drouin over jones in the draft

Can't believe he fell to what. 4 or 5?

Though it's sort of looking like the right pick now he's not wowing anyone I'd still take jones

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

If Yzerman cares at this point, finding Drouin the right lockerroom would be important. Not just a veteran place, but one that would let him just come in, be quiet, and go about his work. But also one that wouldn't take a lot of crap if he started it. Yeah, I do think we'd have a good one for him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
eric... lindros..

He did that before he ever played there though. He also was raked over the coals. Lindros delivered on his talent end of it though, Drouin has not.

But agree that is a much better comparison than Turris.

I guess I have always understood the Lindros side of things as somebody that was always terrible learning languages. As the true #1 talent, I would have likewise told either Montreal or Quebec that I would rather not live in French Canada, to try making a deal before drafting me. But that is just me, but it does give me empathy. He held some cards in that situation and just was making it known ala Eli Manning he had no desire to live there.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
eric... lindros..

Lindros had McDavid-like hype, something Drouin never had. Also worth mentioning he flat out refused to play for the organization, not just crying about playing in the AHL.

I think he's a good player, but I don't think he'll ever reach his full potential, and someone who quits on his teammates because he thinks he's better then them is not the kind of player you want in your dressing room

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Weird what happened to Brunner's career after a pretty good season with Detroit.

Looking at his highlights from that season I'm a little surprised his career died so quickly.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Brunner had a very solid year with Detroit. If he would've stayed he'd still be playing in the NHL. Going to the offensively inept Devils ended his NHL career. Brunner would've been a good 3rd liner on this team. He's better than Richards and Jurco at the very least.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
Weird what happened to Brunner's career after a pretty good season with Detroit.

Looking at his highlights from that season I'm a little surprised his career died so quickly.

i think it was a case of the player being the perfect fit on a single team. too bad he got greedy and wanted more money. would probably be still playing on the wings today

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
i think it was a case of the player being the perfect fit on a single team. too bad he got greedy and wanted more money. would probably be still playing on the wings today

We were a good fit for him, but he did a lot of things right. He was crap along the boards, but he went there. He went to the net. He had a good shot. He just picked a lousy place to go afterwards, though I'm guessing they forked over the most money.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Habs lose 5-2 to the BJs.

Their whole team looked completely despondent on the bench after the game, and Therrien looked like a broken down, empty shell of a man in the post game interview. Good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad