Around The NHL - 2014 Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Agree completely. Do you think he has always been an over rated goalie due to one solid season and the Olympics? His overall career Save % is relatively average across the league.
I felt he was underrated during the 05-07 years and overrated since. This year especially I thought he was incredibly overrated. I feel like he's had two good seasons, one great season and a bunch of average to below average seasons.

Earlier in the year Dunleavy called a game in which Miller was very average. You would have thought listening to it that he was vintage Hasek. Every routine save was orgasm worthy. To me that sort of sums up the Buffalo fan base. A lot of fans around here are notorious for taking any small positives that the Sabres or Bills have and completely blowing them out of proportion.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
This is like Philadelphia game 7 all over again. Miller looks like a complete loser with his body language the same way he did in that game.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Miller has been vastly outplayed by a few less shiny goaltenders in his NHL post season career. I thought maybe this year would be different with St. Louis but Miller really has been less than stellar as a playoff goaltender. He just doesn't have that "it" factor that some goaltenders do. He seems to struggle making that one save your team needs to change the momentum of the game. A lot of it is luck based and Miller seems to be rather unlucky in that regard.

He was the most major reason we pulled the upset of Ottawa back in 05/06 and was the ONLY reason most of those Sabres/Canes games were close in the ECF.

He outplayed Lundqvist when the Sabres really had little business winning the series against the Rangers back in 06/07.

Even this series, the use of the term "vastly" is complete hyperbole. FOUR of the six games went to OT, and each goalie let in 2 OT goals. Miller lost an (essentially) 1-0 game on a goal he'd like to have back.....and then game 6? Sorry, if you get SIX powerplays before the opposing team gets one, can't put that one on your goalie.

Was Miller outplayed by Crawford? Yeah. "Vastly" outplayed? Not by a longshot. He kept the Blues in Games 1 and 2. Gave them every opportunity to win Game 3, even considering the smelly goal.

The most major difference between the Blues and Hawks was depth of offense.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
He was the most major reason we pulled the upset of Ottawa back in 05/06 and was the ONLY reason most of those Sabres/Canes games were close in the ECF.

He outplayed Lundqvist when the Sabres really had little business winning the series against the Rangers back in 06/07.

Even this series, the use of the term "vastly" is complete hyperbole. FOUR of the six games went to OT, and each goalie let in 2 OT goals. Miller lost an (essentially) 1-0 game on a goal he'd like to have back.....and then game 6? Sorry, if you get SIX powerplays before the opposing team gets one, can't put that one on your goalie.

Was Miller outplayed by Crawford? Yeah. "Vastly" outplayed? Not by a longshot. He kept the Blues in Games 1 and 2. Gave them every opportunity to win Game 3, even considering the smelly goal.

Agreed.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
How much of a factor do you think Backes missing games 3 and 4 had on the series.

St. Louis doesn't get a 5 min powerplay and tie and win game two in my opinion. It's pretty obvious the better team won this series. Chicago, even when down in a series, knows how to get it done.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
How much of a factor do you think Backes missing games 3 and 4 had on the series.

It mattered but the Blues problem is they aren't very dynamic offensively. Other than Tarasenko and maybe Schwartz.

Backes, Oshie and Steen are very good players but they really arent that dynamic offensively. They are more grind it out and cycle the puck for scoring chances types. Nothing wrong with that but to answer Toews and Kane you need more.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

Not really the Sabres were a well oiled machine in 05/06. They were the best team in the league to start those playoffs. Game 1 was a complete disaster for both teams. He was a reason why the Canes series was close but the rotating tandem of Ward and Gerber pulled through. Though other than the injuries the bigger reason for losing that series was Lindy Ruff being out coached.

Wouldn't really say he outplayed Lundqvist when Buffalo had the much better team. He was however outplayed by DiPietro in round one despite stats.

Then again those two years were two of Miller's better seasons as I stated.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY

Can't agree more.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Not really the Sabres were a well oiled machine in 05/06. They were the best team in the league to start those playoffs. Game 1 was a complete disaster for both teams. He was a reason why the Canes series was close but the rotating tandem of Ward and Gerber pulled through. Though other than the injuries the bigger reason for losing that series was Lindy Ruff being out coached.

Wouldn't really say he outplayed Lundqvist when Buffalo had the much better team. He was however outplayed by DiPietro in round one despite stats.

Then again those two years were two of Miller's better seasons as I stated.
No. The Sens were the best team in the league that year. The division race was close because Ottawa ran into a staggering amount of injuries to their defense over the last couple of months of the season (not to mention Hasek being hurt, and Emery - along with Miller - was a major reason we won that series). Sure, the Sabres won 7 of their last 8, but a healthy Sabres team also lost 7 of the previous 8 to that. Buffalo was outshot by an average of 10 shots a game in the Ottawa series, and if anything the territorial possession was even more lopsided than that.

And laughable that you bring up "Ruff being outcoached" as a reason that the Sabres lost to the Canes. A major reason the Sabres beat the Flyers and Senators was because they were able to match up Lydman and Tallinder against the opponent's best lines more often than not, and that duo dominated. You don't have a lot of coaching options when you're down to your #10 defenseman in game 7.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013

How many clean breakaways did Chicago give up to STL top offensive players? How many deflections was STL able to get on shots from the point?

I wouldnt say Crawford outplayed Miller at all. He had a couple desperation flashy saves that outshine Miller's technical position saves, but other than that Chicago did things so much better in the offensive zone.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Anyone rooting for Dallas to somehow win this series? I imagine many are still salty at the Stars over '99. I'm not. This would be a pretty good upset to see.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
‏@BNHarrington - Miller sat stone-faced at his locker-with his leg pads still on-before undressing and meeting the media.
Miller on Sharp goal: "I was in the right spot and that last tug he kind of chipped it in between. It was just too bad."
Miller: "We'll have to see where we're at. See how they feel about me. I definiltely like St. Louis. I like the guys. I like the team."
Miller ended interview after 2 1/2 mins after saying "not very serious" when asked by ESPN . com about pre-playoff talks w/STL

Ott on Miller: "It definitely wasn't Millsie. He kept us in every single night. "
Ott: "It's a numb feeling. It's never fun when you expect to win a Cup. Let's be honest. That's what was expected out of us."

Hitch on Sharp goal: "The third goal was really a backbreaker for us. The third goal really took the wind out of our sails."
Hitch: "My God, we gave up a breakaway for the 3rd-got screened on the 2nd. That's not the goalie's fault. Those are big errors."

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Anyone rooting for Dallas to somehow win this series? I imagine many are still salty at the Stars over '99. I'm not. This would be a pretty good upset to see.

Yes. I am shocked at some of the teams I am/was rooting for. Stars (I like the Ducks...just cheering for the underdog, and maybe Ruff), and the Redwings (I must hate the Bruins worse than the Red Wings, wow!)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I'm torn but not because of '99 but because I like the Ducks. Dallas is a fun team to watch though and I wouldn't be sad if they won.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton

I am, have Benn and Seguin in my Playoffs Pool (strictly points pool). Would go a long way to helping me stay in top4 if they advance even 1 round.

If Ruff can turn the page, I'm sure I can. Even if he got a nice paycheck to ease his wounds.

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia

I am, I'd like to see them upset the ducks. They won't get past the next series though, IMO. Just as long as they upset the ducks.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford 3h

No one wants to hear about injuries, but FYI, Backes was playing with a broken toe. He did NOT have a concussion. #stlblues

Wha?

No concussion?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

No one wants to hear about injuries, but FYI, Backes was playing with a broken toe. He did NOT have a concussion. #stlblues

Wha?

No concussion?

He was just in a happy place for a little bit. That's all.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Wha?

No concussion?

Maybe he didn't have post-concussion syndrome but I don't believe for a second that he wasn't concussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad