Around The NHL #2 - Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What’s Galchenyuk and Domi’s numbers since Jan 1? Domi has a 5 point day yesterday but the outrage is a little extreme.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Dial it back to Dec. 16, when Galchenyuk returned from 3 games out with a lower-body injury. Since:

Galchenyuk - 32 games, 11 goals, 13 assists, 24 points, 0.75 pts/gp

Domi - 31 games, 8 goals, 18 assists, 26 points, 0.84 pts/gp

Pretty neck and neck.
I absolutely love Galchenyuk's game lately, he's extremely noticeable out there and the talent is pretty obvious. That said those numbers won't look as good if you factor in power play vs even strength.

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
Dial it back to Dec. 16, when Galchenyuk returned from 3 games out with a lower-body injury. Since:

Galchenyuk - 32 games, 11 goals, 13 assists, 24 points, 0.75 pts/gp

Domi - 31 games, 8 goals, 18 assists, 26 points, 0.84 pts/gp

Pretty neck and neck.

It is, there's a lot of overreaction about that trade, both ways, especially early. With that said, for this trade to be about even, Galchenyuk is going to have to outproduce Domi. Domi brings more other things, is cheaper and is playing C. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on Galchenyuk outproducing him next year. He just should be a better offensive player.

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
It is, there's a lot of overreaction about that trade, both ways, especially early. With that said, for this trade to be about even, Galchenyuk is going to have to outproduce Domi. Domi brings more other things, is cheaper and is playing C. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on Galchenyuk outproducing him next year. He just should be a better offensive player.

I wouldn't be sure about that, Domi has already scored more points this season than Gally has scored in any season...

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
Domi would never have had as many assists as he has this season here though; team can't even get a shot on a 3 on 0. Being unable to finish any scoring chance is possibly the most frustrating part about the team.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Honestly if Keller doesn't get back to form like last year I'm gonna start wishing we traded him for Galchenyuk instead of Domi.

A hot take, I know.

Also for what it's worth i'm extremely late to the conversation but Matthews would likely get taxed as a canadian resident because he's spent more than 183 days in a year here. If he hasn't, then he wouldn't.

"Canada also taxes non-residents on certain Canadian source income under certain circumstances, which may include withholding tax on interest, dividends, royalties, etc. paid to a non-resident. In addition, non-residents who "sojourn" (visit and stay in Canada) for greater than 183 days in a given year are deemed to be Canadian residents for income tax purposes and are subject to Canadian tax on their worldwide income."

OVERVIEW OF TAX CONSIDERATIONS FOR CANADIANS IN THE UNITED STATES

You can also view more information about the treaty on the canada government website.

For reference, there were 55 games last year that Toronto had in Canada...given I believe Matthews stays in Toronto past the summer during the season there's a pretty high chance he was here for those 6 months.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Anyone else tuning in for tomorrow's game of Tavares returning to Long Island? He's gonna get his ears booed off.

Toronto media is really trying their darnedest to stop that from happening. It's starting to remind me of that "Leave Britney Alone!" video...

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Honestly if Keller doesn't get back to form like last year I'm gonna start wishing we traded him for Galchenyuk instead of Domi.

A hot take, I know.

Also for what it's worth i'm extremely late to the conversation but Matthews would likely get taxed as a canadian resident because he's spent more than 183 days in a year here. If he hasn't, then he wouldn't.

"Canada also taxes non-residents on certain Canadian source income under certain circumstances, which may include withholding tax on interest, dividends, royalties, etc. paid to a non-resident. In addition, non-residents who "sojourn" (visit and stay in Canada) for greater than 183 days in a given year are deemed to be Canadian residents for income tax purposes and are subject to Canadian tax on their worldwide income."

OVERVIEW OF TAX CONSIDERATIONS FOR CANADIANS IN THE UNITED STATES

You can also view more information about the treaty on the canada government website.

For reference, there were 55 games last year that Toronto had in Canada...given I believe Matthews stays in Toronto past the summer during the season there's a pretty high chance he was here for those 6 months.
Not correct here is an article that writes it better than I can:

Auston Matthews Shoots And Scores Tax Savings - Tax - Canada

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Mirco Mueller stretchered off the ice earlier. Just saw the report at intermission.

Gave a thumbs up. Apparently has full feeling in extremties, but getting evaluated at hospital.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Not correct here is an article that writes it better than I can:

Auston Matthews Shoots And Scores Tax Savings - Tax - Canada

This is incorrect, as a signing bonus would be considered worldwide income and is taxed at the normal canadian tax rate.

“4. Notwithstanding the provisions of Articles XIV (Independent Personal Services) and XV (Dependent Personal Services) an amount paid by a resident of a Contracting State to a resident of the other Contracting State as an inducement to sign an agreement relating to the performance of the services of an athlete (other than an amount referred to in paragraph 1 of Article XV (Dependent Personal Services)) may be taxed in the first-mentioned State, but the tax so charged shall not exceed 15 per cent of the gross amount of such payment.”

This means that performance bonuses fall under the 15%, not signing bonuses.

This is straight from the treaty itself.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/canada.pdf

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
This is incorrect, as a signing bonus would be considered worldwide income and is taxed at the normal canadian tax rate.

“4. Notwithstanding the provisions of Articles XIV (Independent Personal Services) and XV (Dependent Personal Services) an amount paid by a resident of a Contracting State to a resident of the other Contracting State as an inducement to sign an agreement relating to the performance of the services of an athlete (other than an amount referred to in paragraph 1 of Article XV (Dependent Personal Services)) may be taxed in the first-mentioned State, but the tax so charged shall not exceed 15 per cent of the gross amount of such payment.”

This means that performance bonuses fall under the 15%, not signing bonuses.

This is straight from the treaty itself.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/canada.pdf
If Matthews is considered a Canadian resident for tax purposes It's even better for him tax wise?? However It's highly unlikely he would meet the requirements.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Anyone else tuning in for tomorrow's game of Tavares returning to Long Island? He's gonna get his ears booed off.

Toronto media is really trying their darnedest to stop that from happening. It's starting to remind me of that "Leave Britney Alone!" video...
As if New Yorkers give a flying maple leaf about what the Toronto media is trying to do. Tavares is a traitor and will be treated like one.

Reactions: doaner

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Meh. The only thing Tavares did wrong was string them along a bit, which is probably because he didn't want to burn bridges by saying he planned on chasing the big money in July. Could not care less, personally.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Meh. The only thing Tavares did wrong was string them along a bit, which is probably because he didn't want to burn bridges by saying he planned on chasing the big money in July. Could not care less, personally.

The way I see it, which might not be correct anyway because who knows what went on behind closed doors, is that if Tavares informed the club that he was definitely going to not re-sign that they could have at least traded him at the deadline and gotten something instead of watching him walk away for nothing. We're not completely certain that he didn't do this and the Islanders simply couldn't find someone to trade him to, though.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Tampa Bay and Boston play tonight, neither has a regulation loss in February.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
The way I see it, which might not be correct anyway because who knows what went on behind closed doors, is that if Tavares informed the club that he was definitely going to not re-sign that they could have at least traded him at the deadline and gotten something instead of watching him walk away for nothing. We're not completely certain that he didn't do this and the Islanders simply couldn't find someone to trade him to, though.
That's the point IMO, let's see how Leaf fans handle Matthews signing with Arizona in 2024, saying he made his decision in the final 24 hours and leaves with Toronto with nothing.

Reactions: Jakey53 and Mosby

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That's the point IMO, let's see how Leaf fans handle Matthews signing with Arizona in 2024, saying he made his decision in the final 24 hours and leaves with Toronto with nothing.
Like they did with Sundin? It was a rousing ovation when he was introduced and then booing whenever he touched the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad