Around The NHL #2 - Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Depends on the type of mistake. As an example, I can actually live with the mistake where the puck rolls off of his stick. It sucks, but the emphasis was a situation where the puck didn't settle and it was given up in a dangerous area of the ice. If it was a mental mistake, then yes, those are different. It is also possible that the mistake made was due to covering the play of another player, which can only be realized during tape sessions and seeing how the coverage was mapped out, based on a missed assignment somewhere else. Hard to say exactly what each scenario presents, but I understand what you are getting at, although I think that there are some mistakes that are either not as evident or can be "lived with."

Our veterans played better, however, our veterans were not as talented as what they are now either. So having vets who played better still means that their 80% good in 2015 is still worse than the 60-70% good of our current veteran group.

Playing on a 2nd PP unit can be granted for the most obvious reasoning - you are playing against one fewer opponent on the ice. Much easier to play a player in that scenario, as opposed to being in consistent 5-on-5 situations where every mistake gets exposed.

In a way though, let's look at comparable situations: Keller and Chychrun were both taken a year after Strome, yet have seen the ice far more consistently. These are the kids starting to trickle in, and while I am not 100% certain that Chychrun is all that he is cracked up to be, how are they able to earn their spot, if the players are meant to develop with us? Certainly doesn't sound like Keller and Chychrun are failing to develop, and I think that was an issue. Maybe Strome's ceiling isn't quite where it could be at, and if that is the case, I am okay with dealing away a player with a perceived higher ceiling that isn't being reached. That's where I think Strome's lack of playing time comes into play - he had a lack of development on his curve, where everyone else was at least meeting or exceeding their development path. Hoping for him to take that next step is not a reason to give him top time.
I'm tired of talking about Strome. I wish him well, but he is the enemy now. For every argument I make, you can and do counter, and I the same. I'm getting dizzy going around and around this circle.:)

Reactions: Name Nameless

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I actually thought about doing a top favorite Coyotes poll set a few weeks ago, maybe we'll do it during the all star break.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Toews scores game winner in Chicago loss. Not something you hear every day.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
But of course. The OMG line!

Name the other members of the line without looking it up :P
I can't without looking. I had just moved to Phoenix that year and wasn't following the Coyotes close. I should have kept it that way right? I do remember his name though if that gets me a cookie or something.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Big Georges and Ziggy

A somewhat rare case of the Coyotes finding a whole greater than its parts.

Reactions: sundance74

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Who doesn’t remember Saprykin? He was awesome. Guy had speed and always went hard to the net. Finish wasn’t great but he had wheels and balls. Really liked that player. There was always a black cloud over him here because we stupidly traded Daymond Langkow for Saprykin and Denis Gauthier to free up room to sign Petr Nedved. The latter could not handle living in Scottsdale and boozed his way out of town. Leaving us with only Saprykin and Gauthier to show for Langkow who was absolutely ripping it up in Calgary.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
That’s a complete miscategorization. He always went hard to the net. Always.

Teams that got physical with him completely neutralized him. Same reason I didn't like Ladisoft Nagy. Yeah he got points but teams that could get up in his face could contain him. I didn't like either player but I was a HUGE JR and Tkachuk fan. Those guys were so skilled AND physical, it took a long time for me to appreciate what we have now which is waaaay different than the way the game was played back then. Guys that weren't physical stuck out a lot more back then too, at least they did for me. JR and Tkachuk, those two would round out my top 5.

Reactions: CC96
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad