Around The NHL #2 - Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
For some some reason the Sharks are the only pacific division rival that I hold no animosity towards, so now that Columbus is done I guess I'm on the Sharks bandwagon since I'm neutral towards the Blues and Hurricanes and nobody outside of Boston likes Boston. I definitely wouldn't mind watching the Sharks take out Boston in the finals for their 1st cup.

Reactions: Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Not without a massive roster turnover first, I won't. Hitch is the superior version of Tippettesque-philosophy-coach, with better bonafides and history of results, and they still ended ten games under .500.
They need to trade Puljujarvi and Yamamoto immediately if that's the plan. Get some veteran D help back.

If they give him carte blanche to bring in his guys and abandon development, they'll do okay for a couple years until they hit the skids. Going to be hard to improve their lineup with the cap situation right now. They'll need to get creative and let him have a free hand. McDavid will drag them into the playoffs if they can clog the ice with mediocrity on the rest of the lineup. At least they have cash to throw around.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yep. They’ll see a short term improvement and the “I told ya so’s” will come out en masse but quickly fade when things never actually get beyond first round spankings and it’s at the expense of a bunch of young assets in a strategy that ultimately sets the franchise back yet another half decade with nothing to ultimately show for it.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Honestly, if the cap situation wasn't already so dire because of bad deals, they could have success trading away futures for immediate help. They can afford (in real $) upgrades to Moss's and Chipchuras. They could trade prospects for quality third liners Shaws, Bonino's, Sutter's Staals, etc instead of 4th liners and A/KHL'ers to fill the gaps. The step from 3C Chipsyuk to 3C Bonino is a giant one. That would be somewhat sustainable.

BUT they're already in cap hell. So I'd guess we would see a lot of the same retread "experience is the magic ingredient" routine getting guys Tippett favoured again. In this case because they don't have cap room despite having the cash. Sort of ironic.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah sure Jakey...

Let us get our own McDavid, Drasaitl, and 3-4 first overalls first and then we can compare.

:rolleyes:
Well, if I'm not mistaken, the Oilers couldn't beat us for like two years when DT was the coach here and McDavid and Drasaitl was playing for Edmonton.

Reactions: cobra427 and MIG

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not without a massive roster turnover first, I won't. Hitch is the superior version of Tippettesque-philosophy-coach, with better bonafides and history of results, and they still ended ten games under .500.
They need to trade Puljujarvi and Yamamoto immediately if that's the plan. Get some veteran D help back.

If they give him carte blanche to bring in his guys and abandon development, they'll do okay for a couple years until they hit the skids. Going to be hard to improve their lineup with the cap situation right now. They'll need to get creative and let him have a free hand. McDavid will drag them into the playoffs if they can clog the ice with mediocrity on the rest of the lineup. At least they have cash to throw around.
Hitch is a very good coach as is DT. Hitch didn't have the time to change things up. I was a bit surprised they didn't ask Hitch back.

Reactions: cobra427

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Hitch is a very good coach as is DT. Hitch didn't have the time to change things up. I was a bit surprised they didn't ask Hitch back.
Hitch has had more ultimate success than Tip but he also did it with a lot more talent. Tip will make the Oiler scrubs much better players, he is good at doing more with less. Hitch came in under a GM that was under fire, kind of stuck in the middle. With the new GM, its a clean slate for the next coach.

Reactions: Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
"More with less, less with more, and zero with development"

You nailed it. It is probably written on his whiteboard.

Reactions: RemoAZ

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If they are smart they'll move PoolParty and Yamamoto for veteran help the day before they ink Tippett's contract. Otherwise, I'm not sure how I'll be wrong.

Can Edmonton make the playoffs under Tippett if they give him a free hand? Sure. They have a top heavy experienced roster already, don't need to develop it, and he can find the garbage to plug the gaps without eating a lot of cap space. Just based on the strength of McD, Drai, RNH available at center, we could say "sure" about any coach potentially getting the roster to the playoffs.

Will he have better buy in from the squad as it sits today? Strongly doubt Tippett gets more commitment than Hitch did. Here's where the Oilers are according to the third winningest coach in NHL history: I don’t have the answers, but we can’t play this way and actually expect to win hockey games. Not at this time of year. Quite frankly, not ever. Maybe in an exhibition game.”
“At this time of year the coaches can’t want it more than the players.”

Hitchcock has a much better resume, is able to make adjustments on the fly, has more patience, and is cut from the exact same cloth. So if the new GM doesn't turn the page and make some improvements, we're not going to see much difference under Tippett.

They give even less #'s than the Coyotes do, and it's a problem here, too. The proof is in the standings on a team with two great C's and another thin roster decimated by injuries, and the decade of suck they cannot scrub their hands clean of, like hockey's Lady MacBeth no matter how much raw talent they add. They are picking at 8 after dropping a spot with McDavid and Drai and the third winningest coach in NHL history. We're at 14 with injuries and a coach trying to rehab his career.

So either, 1) look for Brodziak to have a career resurgence, Khiara to find favour, and for a few other guys to completely fall off the map as Tippett brings in his guys and crushes people who don't fit his mould. McDavid and Drai can carry them if they and the goaltending get hot, which is absolutely something he didn't have here. He can get to the playoffs and hope for the best from the best player in the league for a few years. And then he'll hit his shelf life and the team's cupboard will be bare.

Or 2) they don't give him free reign and he won't be able to successfully adjust, and the players petition the front office/ownership in a mutiny, and he gets turfed by players and inept leadership who need a fall guy.

Or 3) they Old Boy's Club just got done with dealing with Hitch, saw how it went for them and the players, look at Tippett's coup, and realize hiring him is a bigger headache than it's worth when what they really want is a yes man/scapegoat.

I'd put the odds at 12-8-80 respectively.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
"He can't be scared to play. This stuff about, 'oh, I don't have my confidence'. If you want a job in the NHL, you have to take it, and that's part of what he has to learn. He has the tools to be an NHL player; now he has to have the will to be an NHL player."

Then, traded for third round pick. Bonus points if he scratches him 40 games in a row first, plays him 13 noncontiguous games over two seasons and stunts him forever so the fans can blame Poolparty instead of Development Dave.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If they are smart they'll move PoolParty and Yamamoto for veteran help the day before they ink Tippett's contract. Otherwise, I'm not sure how I'll be wrong.

Can Edmonton make the playoffs under Tippett if they give him a free hand? Sure. They have a top heavy experienced roster already, don't need to develop it, and he can find the garbage to plug the gaps without eating a lot of cap space. Just based on the strength of McD, Drai, RNH available at center, we could say "sure" about any coach potentially getting the roster to the playoffs.

Will he have better buy in from the squad as it sits today? Strongly doubt Tippett gets more commitment than Hitch did. Here's where the Oilers are according to the third winningest coach in NHL history: I don’t have the answers, but we can’t play this way and actually expect to win hockey games. Not at this time of year. Quite frankly, not ever. Maybe in an exhibition game.”
“At this time of year the coaches can’t want it more than the players.”

Hitchcock has a much better resume, is able to make adjustments on the fly, has more patience, and is cut from the exact same cloth. So if the new GM doesn't turn the page and make some improvements, we're not going to see much difference under Tippett.

They give even less #'s than the Coyotes do, and it's a problem here, too. The proof is in the standings on a team with two great C's and another thin roster decimated by injuries, and the decade of suck they cannot scrub their hands clean of, like hockey's Lady MacBeth no matter how much raw talent they add. They are picking at 8 after dropping a spot with McDavid and Drai and the third winningest coach in NHL history. We're at 14 with injuries and a coach trying to rehab his career.

So either, 1) look for Brodziak to have a career resurgence, Khiara to find favour, and for a few other guys to completely fall off the map as Tippett brings in his guys and crushes people who don't fit his mould. McDavid and Drai can carry them if they and the goaltending get hot, which is absolutely something he didn't have here. He can get to the playoffs and hope for the best from the best player in the league for a few years. And then he'll hit his shelf life and the team's cupboard will be bare.

Or 2) they don't give him free reign and he won't be able to successfully adjust, and the players petition the front office/ownership in a mutiny, and he gets turfed by players and inept leadership who need a fall guy.

Or 3) they Old Boy's Club just got done with dealing with Hitch, saw how it went for them and the players, look at Tippett's coup, and realize hiring him is a bigger headache than it's worth when what they really want is a yes man/scapegoat.

I'd put the odds at 12-8-80 respectively.
"Any coach potentially getting the roster to the playoffs"? Should be a slam dunk then as DT is not your typical "any coach" which you will realize soon enough.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
"He can't be scared to play. This stuff about, 'oh, I don't have my confidence'. If you want a job in the NHL, you have to take it, and that's part of what he has to learn. He has the tools to be an NHL player; now he has to have the will to be an NHL player."

Then, traded for third round pick. Bonus points if he scratches him 40 games in a row first, plays him 13 noncontiguous games over two seasons and stunts him forever so the fans can blame Poolparty instead of Development Dave.
Easy for you to say.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
"Any coach potentially getting the roster to the playoffs"? Should be a slam dunk then as DT is not your typical "any coach" which you will realize soon enough.
Should we wait to see if he even gets a job, or should we just hand him the 2019-20 Jack Adams at this year's award ceremony?
I look at Edmonton's roster and think they could potentially make the playoffs with anyone behind the bench. McDavid or Drai could will them over the top.
I have already said a multitude of times that DinoDave is a fine coach in the right situation. That situation is not here.
I don't think he'd be amazing in Edmonton without heavy roster turnover. Did not even blame Dave. That team has a culture of suck and even Hitchcock couldn't find the right buttons to push despite the fact he is a superior coach.

Easy for you to say.
No, no. It was easy for Dave to say. That's an actual quote. Along with "this isn't a development league". There is a reason that teams haven't snapped him up. Teams have to develop now. Poor, rebuilding ones like ours. Even rich ones. Because of the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad