Around The NHL #2 - Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Yeah kinda crazy that Toronto has done this with 2 superstar centers now. Gotta imagine the league is pissed.

I wonder how pay frequency works. On a salary they get paid twice a month, so he'll get just under 29.2k every 2 weeks right?

With a 15.2 million dollar signing bonus, does he get that in a lump sum? Wouldn't that be just f***ing nuts?

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Yeah kinda crazy that Toronto has done this with 2 superstar centers now. Gotta imagine the league is pissed.

I wonder how pay frequency works. On a salary they get paid twice a month, so he'll get just under 29.2k every 2 weeks right?

With a 15.2 million dollar signing bonus, does he get that in a lump sum? Wouldn't that be just ****ing nuts?

NHL players' signing bonuses are paid out in a lump sum on July 1 of the upcoming season unless otherwise specified in the contract (Jason Demers got paid his bonus on a later date, which is why we traded for him in late July instead of sooner, so Florida paid him his bonus and not us). For paychecks, they're paid on the 15th and the 30th (28th or 29th in February) for the number of days they spent on the NHL roster in the previous pay period. The length of the NHL season varies a day or two here and there but is calculated based on the first game of the regular season by any team through the last game of the regular season by any team (inclusive). This year, the season is 186 days long. If the season is the same length in terms of days, then Auston Matthews' semi-monthly gross pay while his salary is $750,000 will be approximately $60,000.

As for how you came up with $29.2k, I think the mistake you made is not realizing that NHL players do not get paid salary outside of during the regular season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Good for him. I was told it would be 5 years, enough to get him to UFA. He wants out thouggh, make no mistake about it. I can see him being dealt sooner rather than later.
Where are you getting your information from?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

With a 15.2 million dollar signing bonus, does he get that in a lump sum? Wouldn't that be just ****ing nuts?
I think it's nuts how close we are to being much closer to Toronto in terms of success. They just made little decisions that were much better, and a little extra luck. If we had Matthews instead of Keller and Marner instead of Strome for example. If we kept Domi like they kept Nylander. If all of that was enough to make us JvR's first choice instead of his second (we wouldn't have been in the running for Tavares either way). I guess we'd still be a lot worse than they are now, but we'd be a lot better than we are now. Ugh.

Let's just win Hughes and sign a UFA winger with a genuine shot at being a 30 goal scorer. I'll stop complaining then. At least for a little while ;)

rt

May 13, 2004
Speaking of UFAs. How much is too much for Gustav Nyquist? Would he take 24 million over 4 years? Front load the first two years, before OEL's salary balloons? OEL is due 8.0m the next two seasons but then goes to 10.5m for the following two. Maybe do 7m for Nyquist's first two and then go down to 5m for the final two?

Hughes, Dvorak, Stepan as the top three centers. Keller, Schmaltz, Galchenyuk, Nyquist, Grabner, and Hinostroza as the top six wingers. Some combination of those nine guys on the top three lines. Then the fourth line can be something like Crouse-Richardson-Fischer.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Speaking of UFAs. How much is too much for Gustav Nyquist? Would he take 24 million over 4 years? Front load the first two years, before OEL's salary balloons? OEL is due 8.0m the next two seasons but then goes to 10.5m for the following two. Maybe do 7m for Nyquist's first two and then go down to 5m for the final two?

Hughes, Dvorak, Stepan as the top three centers. Keller, Schmaltz, Galchenyuk, Nyquist, Grabner, and Hinostroza as the top six wingers. Some combination of those nine guys on the top three lines. Then the fourth line can be something like Crouse-Richardson-Fischer.
I get this feeling that Fisher is going to have a bounce back year next year and become that 50pt two way guy we all wished for. He's actually the biggest question mark on the team outside of Chychrun and Raanta staying healthy for more than 50% of a season.

Add Nyquist at 4x6 and see if we can rip Nylander out of Toronto for Chychrun+ and we might just have enough firepower to go a round or 2 into the playoffs next year.

Galchenyuk - Schmaltz - Keller 1A
Nyquist - Dvorak - Nylander 1B
Crouse - Stepan - Fisher 3A
Grabner - Richardson - Hinostroza 3B
Cousins, Garland

If we could sell Chychrun AND Goose because POJ and Capobianco were ready we would be pretty good in terms of dollars and talent.

rt

May 13, 2004
Sorry I meant as compared to salary. There are many variables but if Matthews stays as a simple AZ resident and plays in Canada he will pay the same taxes based on the Tax Treaty. There are variables that can change that??
There is no chance he’s paying 35% less tax on his earnings working in Ontario than he would in Arizona. I promise you Leafs players are taxed at a higher rate regardless of contract structure than Coyotes players are.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
There is no chance he’s paying 35% less tax on his earnings working in Ontario than he would in Arizona. I promise you Leafs players are taxed at a higher rate regardless of contract structure than Coyotes players are.
Again it's 15% for signing bonus vs roughly 50% if it was salary. And if he is an AZ resident he will pay the same taxes whether he earns his money in Ont or AZ because of the Tax Treaty. There are variables that make slight changes but if he remains an AZ resident while playing for the Leaf's his tax payment will be fairly equal. The difference between States and Provinces is generally overstated as they don't account for residence and Nationality.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
That has nothing to do with the US. That’s a Canada vs Canada tweet. Yes, Matthews is a US resident. All that tweet does is highlight how unattractive playing in Canada should be to American players.
The tax treat ensures that a resident of either Country would not be taxed by each Country. Whatever you pay in taxes in the Country you work in gives you a credit on tax oweing in your home Country. Matthews will not pay more tax as an AZ resident playing in Canada than he would playing in AZ unless he files taxes as a Canadian resident via the closer connection legislation. This would be a massive benefit to him if he did it that way. There is no AZ advantage for Matthews and his high priced team will get him the best tax deal no matter where he plays.

rt

May 13, 2004
The tax treat ensures that a resident of either Country would not be taxed by each Country. Whatever you pay in taxes in the Country you work in gives you a credit on tax oweing in your home Country. Matthews will not pay more tax as an AZ resident playing in Canada than he would playing in AZ unless he files taxes as a Canadian resident via the closer connection legislation. This would be a massive benefit to him if he did it that way. There is no AZ advantage for Matthews and his high priced team will get him the best tax deal no matter where he plays.
No advantage? Maybe it’s nearly as close given the insane structure of this deal that will not be an option the next time he signs a contract because there is zero chance it’s not forbidden in the next CBA. For 98% of players who have no chance at getting a deal with this kind of structure there’s clearly a huge tax advantage in Arizona. And that’s saying nothing about cost of living. Of course, there are certainly better endorsement opportunities in Toronto.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
No advantage? Maybe it’s nearly as close given the insane structure of this deal that will not be an option the next time he signs a contract because there is zero chance it’s not forbidden in the next CBA. For 98% of players who have no chance at getting a deal with this kind of structure there’s clearly a huge tax advantage in Arizona. And that’s saying nothing about cost of living. Of course, there are certainly better endorsement opportunities in Toronto.
No advantage for players, such as Matthews, signing the same deal in both places. There is no tax advantage for an AZ resident signing in AZ vs any Canadian City. The Tax Treaty levels that playing field with exceptions that the Player's team will manipulate to suit their client.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I wouldn't say zero chance as this might be something rich team's insist on as they have given up their advantage with the Cap and Revenue Sharing . They just might insist this ability stays but really who knows.

rt

May 13, 2004
No advantage for players, such as Matthews, signing the same deal in both places. There is no tax advantage for an AZ resident signing in AZ vs any Canadian City. The Tax Treaty levels that playing field with exceptions that the Player's team will manipulate to suit their client.
No Arizona resident player will ever sign a 93% signing bonus contract in Canada ever again.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
No Arizona resident player will ever sign a 93% signing bonus contract in Canada ever again.
Well really any American player can be an AZ resident if they choose to?? Kessel is a Florida resident but never grew up or played there.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Haha. Being from Florida and living here, it's funny to think of Florida as being the Monaco of the USA (vis a vis 'tax haven'), except you don't have to be rich...

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
NHL players' signing bonuses are paid out in a lump sum on July 1 of the upcoming season unless otherwise specified in the contract (Jason Demers got paid his bonus on a later date, which is why we traded for him in late July instead of sooner, so Florida paid him his bonus and not us). For paychecks, they're paid on the 15th and the 30th (28th or 29th in February) for the number of days they spent on the NHL roster in the previous pay period. The length of the NHL season varies a day or two here and there but is calculated based on the first game of the regular season by any team through the last game of the regular season by any team (inclusive). This year, the season is 186 days long. If the season is the same length in terms of days, then Auston Matthews' semi-monthly gross pay while his salary is $750,000 will be approximately $60,000.

As for how you came up with $29.2k, I think the mistake you made is not realizing that NHL players do not get paid salary outside of during the regular season.

Yup that was my mistake. Thanks for the info. Would be a surreal feeling to get 15.2 million dollar check

rt

May 13, 2004
Strome up to 0.80ppg in Chicago now. Closing in on Schmaltz’s 0.82ppg in a much larger sample size.

Domi’s at .87 and Galchenyuk is at .60 for the record.

Reactions: RemoAZ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad