Around The NHL #2 - Playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Yup that was my mistake. Thanks for the info. Would be a surreal feeling to get 15.2 million dollar check

That'll be his gross pay, but for his tax bracket in Ontario, where it'll actually be paid, he'll get taxed on it at a rate of 53.29%. The net value of the check will be a mere $7,099,920.00 :sarcasm:

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Oliver is playing with a meniscus tear. We're too banged up to afford him to be out is the message. Will need surgery at some point.

Ridiculous and not surprising. He took a shot from the Doc and will continue to medicate in order to get through the season. Why? He did the same with a broken hand(?) and grieving his mother. What will it be next year?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
That'll be his gross pay, but for his tax bracket in Ontario, where it'll actually be paid, he'll get taxed on it at a rate of 53.29%. The net value of the check will be a mere $7,099,920.00 :sarcasm:

Yet another reason to move to AZ.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I get this feeling that Fisher is going to have a bounce back year next year and become that 50pt two way guy we all wished for. He's actually the biggest question mark on the team outside of Chychrun and Raanta staying healthy for more than 50% of a season.

Add Nyquist at 4x6 and see if we can rip Nylander out of Toronto for Chychrun+ and we might just have enough firepower to go a round or 2 into the playoffs next year.

Galchenyuk - Schmaltz - Keller 1A
Nyquist - Dvorak - Nylander 1B
Crouse - Stepan - Fisher 3A
Grabner - Richardson - Hinostroza 3B
Cousins, Garland

If we could sell Chychrun AND Goose because POJ and Capobianco were ready we would be pretty good in terms of dollars and talent.
I h ope you are right about Fischer, but I don't see anything in his game to convince me he hits 50 pts. If you would have asked me last year, I would have said that we should expect a 50 pt. season.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I agree...Fischer has got 50pt potential for sure. Needs to improve his quickness a little and I also think he will have a rebound in production. I think he should be a 20/50 guy every year.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I h ope you are right about Fischer, but I don't see anything in his game to convince me he hits 50 pts. If you would have asked me last year, I would have said that we should expect a 50 pt. season.
It's hard to say, a ton of players go through sophomore slumps and Fisher may be in that category. He could also be a career bottom 6 guy who peaked in his rookie season. We'll have to wait and see but I still see the potential for a 2nd line TW player.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
If Fischer is a consistant 15-20g 30-40 point forward I would be happy with using a 2nd round pick on him. That's a solid third liner with upside. He is getting grittier and playing better against the boards. I'm excited to see what a 25 year old Fischer plays like. If he can take another step and becomes a consistant 20-30g and 40-50p forward than I will be thrilled. We need more 2nd round or later picks to turn out like what Fischer is now. We need more 2nd round and later picks to exceed what Fischer is now as well.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's really not that simple. As an example, because of the Canada/US Tax Treaty and Matthews getting paid almost all in signing bonus in Canada he is taxed at 15% instead of roughly 50%. There goes that AZ advantage.
I think you better research that.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I think you better research that.
I did, there is no AZ advantage for Matthews, he pays the same tax no matter where he plays, roughly. I have already clarified tgat was in relation to signing bonus vs salary in the post you quoted.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
He loses 15% to tax instantly for an American playing in Canada and then all taxes for the year are calculated based on the jurisdiction where the player calls home. If AZ is Matthew's official home he pays AZ tax rate even while playing in Canada.
It's not about where he calls home it's about where the dollars are earned. Road trips make the jurisdiction thing very complicated.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It's not about where he calls home it's about where the dollars are earned. Road trips make the jurisdiction thing very complicated.
Incorrect, he pays most of his income tax in the State where he declares his primary residence. Yes there are factors that split the pie but his tax rate is based on home State or Province.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sorry I meant as compared to salary. There are many variables but if Matthews stays as a simple AZ resident and plays in Canada he will pay the same taxes based on the Tax Treaty. There are variables that can change that??
AM will be classified as an Canadian resident and will be taxed accordingly.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Incorrect.
He spends most his time in Canada, gets paid in Canada, will be a resident of Canada not USA. He can still be a American citizen but he will be taxed where he hangs his hat sort of speak.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
He spends most his time in Canada, gets paid in Canada, will be a resident of Canada not USA. He can still be a American citizen but he will be taxed where he hangs his hat sort of speak.
Still no, there were many articles written about this when Stamkos was heading to free agency. Tgere are variables with the most important being where you keep your primary residence. Matthews can easily rent in Toronto while maintaining a house in Scottsdale and really end the conversation. Here is one:

Why the “Stamkos Tax” may actually be in Toronto’s favour

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If Matthews makes his primary residence in AZ and declares that he will pay his taxes based on AZ but it will be distributed based on amount of time he spends in each area. If it's half Toronto, Ont and Can would receive 50% of his income tax bill based on AZ rates. This is simplified as there are other factors and areas who want their cut.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If Matthews makes his primary residence in AZ and declares that he will pay his taxes based on AZ but it will be distributed based on amount of time he spends in each area. If it's half Toronto, Ont and Can would receive 50% of his income tax bill based on AZ rates. This is simplified as there are other factors and areas who want their cut.
He can't make his primary home in AZ. His primary home will be Canada, no if, ands or butts. He will pay Canadian taxes on 100% of his money. He spends way more time in Canada than the US. He might get a credit some how if he has income in the States, but a person can not dictate where their primary address is.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
He can't make his primary home in AZ. His primary home will be Canada, no if, ands or butts. He will pay Canadian taxes on 100% of his money. He spends way more time in Canada than the US. He might get a credit some how if he has income in the States, but a person can not dictate where their primary address is.

Do you have a legitimate source to back this????

Or is this just your opinion??

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
A lot of if's in that article. He doesn't say how he can avoid "triggering Canadian residency rules". I don't see how he can be called a US resident but resides in Canada the majority of his time. I'm going to call my immigration attorney friend and see if the laws have changed and if this is at all possible.
It has been written about many times. The easiest way is to keep yoyr primary residence in AZ while renting in Toronto and signing the Closer Connection Form. It's an 8840 for Canadians in US but I don't know what the reverse is called? Call whoever you want Matthews won't be paying much Canadian tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->