Around the NHL 16-17 part 3 (trades! trades! trades!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Duchene has 1 point in his past 21 games, how is that even possible?

Imagine being an Avs fan this year. We put up two of the worst seasons in history during the tank with an AHL level team. The Avs are at a worse pace with who they thought was there long term solution in net, Erik Johnson and Barrie on the back end and young stars like McKinnon, Landeskog, Duchene and Rantanen all in their lineup.

Yeah, Imagine being an Avs fan.......... (I get to imagine it all the time!:laugh:)

So a bit level assessment on the some of the more important Avs issues:
1.) goaltending is a mess. With Roy's departure and Allaire gone, Varlamov looked lost before his injury. Lots of discussion whether Varly or Pickard goes to Las Vegas. Pickard is a capable back up but not a #1 guy at this point (And maybe never...)
2.) Landeskog's season has been horrid. Worse than Duchene who still works his butt off but has temporarily lost his scoring touch. And Matt's productivity has always depended a lot on the coach's choice of line mates. Duchene is the loyalist of loyal troopers and one of if not the Avs highest paid players. Attitude and loyalty means a lot to the front office here (not necessarily in a positive way). I think Duchene is untouchable and Landeskog gets traded before Duchene. But lots of close observing Avs fans would disagree.
3.) Barrie has not been the same since the knee injury. He's been terrible this year and he will be traded this summer. Barberio has been a pleasant surprise and carries the puck and leads the rush as well as Barrie used to.
4.) Johnson has recovered nicely from his mended leg break and looks stronger every game. He stays.
5.) McKinnon has not progressed. Just remember the NHL All Star speed competition vs McDavid.... And I've been told Mac's attitude on the bench and in the locker room this season is very bad and wearing on the team. (Yeah, I know... attribution and all that. But I have no reason to doubt my long time co-coaching partner who is best friends with one of the post game TV analysts (Keefe) back from their days growing up in Casper, Wy.)
6.) Beauchemin is long in the tooth and will be retired next season. Zads has made Beauch expendable.
7.) Zadorov is a beast. Sabres should not have let him go. He's going to be top 4 D at the very least. More likely 1 - 2.
8.) Good new core of young kids coming of age - Rantanen, Compher, Yost, Andrighetto are making a few heads turn making one or two of Duchene, Landeskog or McKinnon expendable. Actually, I think McKinnon is more likely to be traded than Duchene given the attitude rumors. Landeskog will probably be given one more season to pull his weight as Captain.
9.) Avs will be shopping for a big name D. I suspect McKinnon for Fowler is Sakic's wet dream right now.
10.) I've been wrong before and likely will be again.....:laugh:

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
Welp. Cam Fowler just injured his knee/leg against Calgary. Didn't look good.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Welp. Cam Fowler just injured his knee/leg against Calgary. Didn't look good.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ducks-beat-flames-move-closer-fifth-straight-pacific-title/

Video appeared to show Giordano extending his leg and hitting the U.S. Olympian's right knee well after he had shot the puck. Giordano wasn't penalized on the play, but in the ensuing moments, Wagner scored his goal and Josh Manson battered Giordano in a one-sided fight.

"I think there's a lot of hate there," said Manson, who was named the game's first star. "Our guys had to do something. Hockey is a fast game, and things happen. It's unfortunate. Hopefully Cam is all right, but it's tough."

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
How the heck does a professional athlete do that to another pro????

One of the dirtiest hits I've ever seen. Direct intent to target knee while in a vulnerable position.

Ugly, just ugly.

That guy needs a twenty plus suspension.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
How the heck does a professional athlete do that to another pro????

One of the dirtiest hits I've ever seen. Direct intent to target knee while in a vulnerable position.

Ugly, just ugly.

That guy needs a twenty plus suspension.

And that's why he's not even getting a hearing.

Gotta love the NHL Department of Player Safety.

:facepalm:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Leafs need a single point to clinch a spot.

Huge game tonight Lightning vs Leafs. Tampa has to win tonight in regulation, win the last two against Montreal and Buffalo, and hope Toronto loses their last 2 against Columbus and Pittsburgh which is very possible. I can picture it now, Leafs lose out, Tampa wins the first 2 and in game 82 against the Sabres Matt Moulson or Tyler Ennis get the game winning goal :shakehead

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yes dirty hit poorly timed because the camera caught his dirty play :laugh:

The video is in super slow mo. It was a bang bang play. The knee Fowler injured was in the air when Giordano committed to hit him. How on earth does Giordano commit to injure that knee while it's in the air? Does he have ESP and can predict the exact second Fowler will place it back on the ice? Or does the more logical explaination hold? That it was a poorly timed hit that led to an awkward knee on knee collision.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
The video is in super slow mo. It was a bang bang play. The knee Fowler injured was in the air when Giordano committed to hit him. How on earth does Giordano commit to injure that knee while it's in the air? Does he have ESP and can predict the exact second Fowler will place it back on the ice? Or does the more logical explaination hold? That it was a poorly timed hit that led to an awkward knee on knee collision.

He extends his elbow and knee after he realizes he is going to miss. Slow motion or not he changes his approach once he realizes his "hit" wasn't going to be a bodycheck. You can see it clearly if you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad