Around the NHL 16-17 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I was by far Chad Johnson's biggest critic last year, but good for him for surveying the market, picking a spot to go, and winning the ****ing job when he got there.

The Flames are a completely different team with him in net vs. Moose. It's wild.

Goalies... don't pay them big bucks, and don't pay them long term...

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
While watching Calgary last night I had some thoughts on the 2014 draft and not really sure where to put it.

I'll admit Sam Bennett made me look at how I look prospects a little differently. Back in 2014, I loved him as a prospect, he was relentless and talented. But what has become apparent in the NHL is that he does not have anything elite about him, he is a good skater, has good hockey sense, a good passer, a good shooter etc..he's lacking an elite dynamic to his game, but he will be a fine second line player in this league for many years. Looking back I think everyone kinda knew he didn't really have an elite aspect to his game, but kinda choose to overlook it because of the intangibles.

We're 2-3 years away from seeing any major split between Draisaitl, Reinhart and Bennett. Flames fans like him more than Monahan.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
While watching Calgary last night I had some thoughts on the 2014 draft and not really sure where to put it.

I'll admit Sam Bennett made me look at how I look prospects a little differently. Back in 2014, I loved him as a prospect, he was relentless and talented. But what has become apparent in the NHL is that he does not have anything elite about him, he is a good skater, has good hockey sense, a good passer, a good shooter etc..he's lacking an elite dynamic to his game, but he will be a fine second line player in this league for many years. Looking back I think everyone kinda knew he didn't really have an elite aspect to his game, but kinda choose to overlook it because of the intangibles.

I think legit two way play is difficult to discern in junior players, particularly those who are high effort with impressive athleticism.

The stick lifts are useful to look at, but I like to see guys who know how to physically block lanes in position battles. Or guys who force passing lanes or feign openings to lure an opposing player into a bad pass. Reinhart did this last year to morgan reilly, great example.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Connor is running away with the lead league in points. He's the best player I've even seen.

And Laine has two tonight, insane shooter. He's going to have the highest shooting percentage we've seen in a long time.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Connor is running away with the lead league in points. He's the best player I've even seen.

And Laine has two tonight, insane shooter. He's going to have the highest shooting percentage we've seen in a long time.

It's a great time to be a hockey fan

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Connor is definitely on a different tier than everybody, but guys like Eichel, Matthews being on the tier below him IMO, is not too shabby.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Very surprised to see how quickly Laine is racking up goals.

I'll be more surprised if he can keep this pace. Teams are going to start strategizing around him, and it remains to be seen if he has enough skills in his toolbox besides a brilliant shot to compensate.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
NHLPA REJECTS NHL’S OFFER OF OLYMPICS FOR CBA EXTENSION
TORONTO - The NHL Players' Association has formally rejected the league's proposal to allow players to participate in the 2018 Olympics in exchange for an extension to the current collective bargaining agreement.

NHLPA executive director Don Fehr says that the players, primarily the executive board, showed no interest in the idea.

He says he hopes "we'll still be able to conclude an agreement to go to the Olympics."

Fehr tells The Canadian Press in an exclusive interview that "we still think it's (playing in 2018) important and we'll go from there."

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Matthews's IQ >>>> Eichel's IQ

Eichel's Physical Skills >> Matthews' Physical skills

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Remember when you were mocked around here if you said Laine was as good as Matthews?

He isn't as good. He's a pure finisher, especially on the powerplay. Matthews is a driver of offense. Not sure what your point is.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

The debate is that he gets put in on second nights of back to backs with weaker lineups and little chance to succeed.

I call that being a backup goaltender, and if you can't do that, you're useless. Good on them for making the move in-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad