Around the NHL #15 - Ovie is Not a Choker Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
But when you have a talent like that at his age, right in his prime, they aren't going to sign short term. That's the reality.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’d rather have Kane at 7 x 7 than Lucic at 6 x 7. Kane is a very good skater and in tremendous physical condition, so that likely won’t change over his contract length. He’s also capable of scoring at scoring goals all by himself.

The worry is if he falls off the edge and starts to become a problem in SJ. It’s more than I thought he would get, but good for the Sharks.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
After more thought, I still think it's a risky deal, but not literal laughing out loud as I initially thought. If he's a 50 point guy, it's more or less in line with the Lucic/Okposo style deals, just adjusted for the cap going up. The risk if he goes back to sub 40 points or sub 20 goals, this deal becomes a massive problem. But 25-30 goal guys get paid these days.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
After more thought, I still think it's a risky deal, but not literal laughing out loud as I initially thought. If he's a 50 point guy, it's more or less in line with the Lucic/Okposo style deals, just adjusted for the cap going up. The risk if he goes back to sub 40 points or sub 20 goals, this deal becomes a massive problem. But 25-30 goal guys get paid these days.
Exactly. It's in line with two deals that are looking laughably poor at present.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Exactly. It's in line with two deals that are looking laughably poor at present.

Truth.

I mean, lately it seems like nearly every major UFA signing is a bad idea. Last two or three off seasons have been horrific. Few ones that have worked out like Marleau and Shattenkirk to an extent, but lots of duds.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The difference with Kane being though, the Sharks have intell that he IS a good fit there, so it's much less risky. Yes things can change from season to season, but he was their best player down the stretch and they like what he brings.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I have a philosophy:

1) Go big with established stars
2) Go small with cheap, unestablished potential stars and contributors
3) Never go "middle" (Frolik / Stone / Brouwer / Hamonic) regardless of fit - that's where you truly get burned even when they DO live up to their contracts.

From that philosophy, I can see Kane being a good signing for the Sharks as he's an established star. But as I've argued before I didn't see him helping us the same way because he didn't fill any actual hole on our roster the way a guy like Mark Stone, Tyler Toffoli or Blake Wheeler could. For the Sharks, who have Pavelski, and fewer truly high-end offensive left hand shots (Couture being the only especially notable one after the injury to Thornton) it's a different story.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I have a philosophy:

1) Go big with established stars
2) Go small with cheap, unestablished potential stars and contributors
3) Never go "middle" (Frolik / Stone / Brouwer / Hamonic) regardless of fit - that's where you truly get burned even when they DO live up to their contracts.

From that philosophy, I can see Kane being a good signing for the Sharks as he's an established star. But as I've argued before I didn't see him helping us the same way because he didn't fill any actual hole on our roster the way a guy like Mark Stone, Tyler Toffoli or Blake Wheeler could. For the Sharks, who have Pavelski, and fewer truly high-end offensive left hand shots (Couture being the only especially notable one after the injury to Thornton) it's a different story.
In what way is Evander Kane an established star? His point output has been pretty on-par with Michael Frolik's going back a number of years, seeing as you're making that comparison. He's been a very hot-and-cold player throughout his career. Shows flashes of talent and long stretches of apathy. He's cashing in now on great stretch run in a contract year. That is very suspect, to me.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
From that philosophy, I can see Kane being a good signing for the Sharks as he's an established star.

Star? What? He's broken 50 points twice. He's a good goal scorer who shoots a lot and is known to have really bad cold spells. And since it's a consistent knock on Tanev, I'm going to point it out here as well that he consistently misses a dozen or more games usually per season.

Reactions: Cyrano

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Kane for 7 years is already risky. I think the Sharks extended him long-term in order to cope with the loss of their 1st rounder.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
In what way is Evander Kane an established star? His point output has been pretty on-par with Michael Frolik's going back a number of years, seeing as you're making that comparison. He's been a very hot-and-cold player throughout his career. Shows flashes of talent and long stretches of apathy. He's cashing in now on great stretch run in a contract year. That is very suspect, to me.
#OKGlogic

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

I mean we talk about him all the time, and he does have a money phone...

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It's all but official that GG has joined the Oilers. If the Oilers play terribly and MacLellan gets fired, it's not too much of a stretch to assume that Gulutzan will be their next head coach

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
It's not the $7 million that makes this contract bad, it's the 7 years. We know that the Sharks will be regretting this within 36 months. Kane will be in the headlines again for (allegedly) doing something to another woman, or he'll get into it with another teammate. Hell, probably both.

This is how I see it too. I think he's got the skills to be a $7M player, but that 7 years is gonna be a boat anchor. He put up decent enough number on crappy Thrashers/Jets/Sabres teams, but he was never motivated enough to give a consistent effort. Now that he's on a decent team and chemistry with some of the players, he'll probably give a damn now.

That said, he's still an asshole and I don't like him one bit.

Reactions: Method Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad