Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Rangers one step closer. I'm a bit ambivalent on who wins the Cup this year, but if NY gets it, it would be good for the league. Big market US team....the NHL probably needs that right now.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Thanks for the input. It's a shame some of these things continue. The Genocide of the FN people in NA is one of the greatest atrocities in human history. Personally, I just think the reality behind what happened (and has carried forward in so many ways) was so deplorable that if FN groups want change to these antiquated slogans/logos/names with a derogatory history, let them have it.

I was mostly looking to dispel the BS the other poster was spewing about how it's all the angry woke folk to blame. Maybe that's what got them to actually listen, but FN groups have advocated for change to a lot of these for ages.

Wow, the Canes blow it. Tough go, it was right there for them.
To be fair I may be a little more realistic than some. There is still a ton of work to do to breakdown stereotypes but I personally find that there are some who dwell too much in the past. If there was equality in health care, a reasonable effort to get clean drinking water to the north, and a less racist justice system then that would be all the reconciliation I need. I’ve never lived on a reserve but I have extended family who do and let me tell you, it’s not all the “white man’s” fault. At some point responsibility falls on the individual even though the system feels gamed sometimes.

Can’t win with a man on man Dzone system.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Zibanejad has 14 points in 10 playoff games this season and hovers around a PPG the last 6 or so seasons during the regular season. Near PPG in the playoffs total.

Can you imagine being so f***ing bad at your job that you trade him for an aging vet AND send them a 2nd rounder.
The entire history of Dorion's tenure is him genuinely not looking ahead to the future at all.

Trades 23 year old Zibanejad not being patient enough for him to develop.
Trades a 1st for Duchene not anticipating our team collapsing.
Trading a high 2nd for a Stepan that barely had anything left in the tank.
Trading Gustavsson for an old Cam Talbot.
Trading 7th overall, a 2nd and a 3rd for Debrincat despite not talking to his agent at all prior to the trade to see if he would be willing to extend.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
The entire history of Dorion's tenure is him genuinely not looking ahead to the future at all.

Trades 23 year old Zibanejad not being patient enough for him to develop.
Trades a 1st for Duchene not anticipating our team collapsing.
Trading a high 2nd for a Stepan that barely had anything left in the tank.
Trading Gustavsson for an old Cam Talbot.
Trading 7th overall, a 2nd and a 3rd for Debrincat despite not talking to his agent at all prior to the trade to see if he would be willing to extend.
He was so f***ing bad at his job.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Thanks for the input. It's a shame some of these things continue. The Genocide of the FN people in NA is one of the greatest atrocities in human history. Personally, I just think the reality behind what happened (and has carried forward in so many ways) was so deplorable that if FN groups want change to these antiquated slogans/logos/names with a derogatory history, let them have it.

I was mostly looking to dispel the BS the other poster was spewing about how it's all the angry woke folk to blame. Maybe that's what got them to actually listen, but FN groups have advocated for change to a lot of these for ages.

Wow, the Canes blow it. Tough go, it was right there for them.
Terrible by all metrics, and still suffering from systemic racism and culture decimation, but sadly it’s not anywhere close to one of the greatest human atrocities in human history.

I find the canes to be so soft.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
To be fair I may be a little more realistic than some. There is still a ton of work to do to breakdown stereotypes but I personally find that there are some who dwell too much in the past. If there was equality in health care, a reasonable effort to get clean drinking water to the north, and a less racist justice system then that would be all the reconciliation I need. I’ve never lived on a reserve but I have extended family who do and let me tell you, it’s not all the “white man’s” fault. At some point responsibility falls on the individual even though the system feels gamed sometimes.

Can’t win with a man on man Dzone system.
I think that's probably wise. You don't want to just be a loud virtue signaler, you want to inspire and advocate for real change in the most important areas, like the ones you mention. You are right that at some point the responsibility falls on the individual, I just find the cycle makes that harder for some than others and it is still going to take many years to hopefully reverse some of the cycles. I guess I just feel so much sympathy because of the history and am sensitive to the fact that everyone's experience is still their own and a lot of abuse and substance abuse in the communities keeps the cycles going, but I do get the sentiment that it can't go on forever.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Don't you forget about me by Simple Minds is the Vancouver Canucks goal song.
A weird choice for a goal song.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Terrible by all metrics, and still suffering from systemic racism and culture decimation, but sadly it’s not anywhere close to one of the greatest human atrocities in human history.

I find the canes to be so soft.
I guess here isn't the place for that conversation, and you're right that there's countless of examples of arguably worse in nature and/or death toll, but I think what helps it rank is government involvement and being in relatively modern history. It was a long war with the goal of genocide. The US Government authorized over 1,500 wars, attacks and raids on them, the most of any country in the world against its Indigenous people. Things like the Indian Removal Bill were being signed and voted in less than 200 years ago. This was a war with a tremendously advantaged regime that wiped out an estimated ~90% of their population, along with the disease they brought with them. I feel like at that level, it's probably splitting hairs to find worse suffering, it's just more, but I could be ignorant to some good examples. Crazy how close we are to such savagery though.

They are, they blew that.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I guess here isn't the place for that conversation, and you're right that there's countless of examples of arguably worse in nature and/or death toll, but I think what helps it rank is government involvement and being in relatively modern history. It was a long war with the goal of genocide. The US Government authorized over 1,500 wars, attacks and raids on them, the most of any country in the world against its Indigenous people. Things like the Indian Removal Bill were being signed and voted in less than 200 years ago. This was a war with a tremendously advantaged regime that wiped out an estimated ~90% of their population, along with the disease they brought with them. I feel like at that level, it's probably splitting hairs to find worse suffering, it's just more, but I could be ignorant to some good examples. Crazy how close we are to such savagery though.

They are, they blew that.
I definitely wanted to make sure I toed the line of not minimizing at all while alluding to the long list of truly horrifying things humans have done to each other on a massive scale, especially in the ancient world.

Hitler and Stalin certainly tried to make the cut in the modern world. Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge, Hutus and Tutsies, the slavery, war, rebellion, that led to the founding of Haiti….

It’s a sordid list and you’re right, we still aren’t that far removed. I mean Gaza is shaping up to be atrocious on a grand scale, Ukraine has had its share as well.

Will we ever learn?

Having said that, I am enjoying these playoffs.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
If the Canucks lose this game that blown open net chance is going to haunt Hoglander.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad