Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
That's like the sort of call the Habs would get late in a game when they're trailing.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
ARE YOU LIVING IN A COMPUTER SIMULATION?
BY NICK BOSTROM

[Published in Philosophical Quarterly (2003) Vol. 53, No. 211, pp. 243‐255. (First version: 2001)]

This paper argues that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1)
the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a
“posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely
to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or
variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer
simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that
we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor‐simulations is
false, unless we are currently living in a simulation. A number of other
consequences of this result are also discussed.

Reactions: ACLEVERNAME

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
CBC Ottawa cutting away from the Western playoff games for Shanghi track and field : shakehead Last year I had wall to wall hockey through 3 channels on basic 'over-the-air' television and now I'm 'lucky' to catch a single game on a Saturday night. It's over. The walls are closing in. Unfortunately I'm to proud and righteous of a man to ever ask for a PM of a stream link so please don't.

My taxes funding the "Canadian Broadcasting Corporation" isn't enough to watch Canadian content anymore. Roger and Bell now the gate-keepers of the game of hockey in Canada. Disgusting

Reactions: maclean

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Remember, this is what Leaf fans are proud of when they rip into us for the Sens not making the playoffs.

1. Sens fans don't start drunken fights at games in Toronto on nights when the Senators aren't even playing the Leafs. How is it that there is a drunk beligerent Leafs fan on every OC Transpo bus coming back from a 5-3 Senators win against the Columbus Blue Jackets?
  2. The Senators are supposed to stink. The Leafs are not. The Senators are a small market team. They have been a budget team for the past 15 or so years prior to the sale. They had an owner who was intimated by insiders as being one of the most difficult and meddling owners in the league. Yet, they still had more playoff success than the Leafs over this 15 year period. The Senators have to punch up against adversity, the dynamic is completely different.
  3. The Leafs are not supposed to suck. (Well they are, re: simulation theory, but still.) As in, the Leafs have every advantage. The NHL rigged the draft lottery to give them Auston Matthews (they obviously didn't rig it, but it felt more provocative to write the Senstence that way.) They have unlimited money, and they have a large pool of masochistic "Ontario boys" who ritualize the humiliation of signing team friendly late-career contracts in Toronto because they desire for their friends and close family to be harassed by fans on Twitter at a level that would not be possible had they chosen to sign with the Carolina Hurricanes.

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
The dreaded 3-1 series lead for Boston. Hope it goes better than it did last time. Won't be surprised if Leafs go with Woll on Tuesday.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

ARE YOU LIVING IN A COMPUTER SIMULATION?
BY NICK BOSTROM

[Published in Philosophical Quarterly (2003) Vol. 53, No. 211, pp. 243‐255. (First version: 2001)]

This paper argues that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1)
the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a
“posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely
to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or
variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer
simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that
we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor‐simulations is
false, unless we are currently living in a simulation. A number of other
consequences of this result are also discussed.

Betteridge's Law of Headlines: that "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word 'no.'"

Reactions: thinkwild

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
CBC Ottawa cutting away from the Western playoff games for Shanghi track and field : shakehead Last year I had wall to wall hockey through 3 channels on basic 'over-the-air' television and now I'm 'lucky' to catch a single game on a Saturday night. It's over. The walls are closing in. Unfortunately I'm to proud and righteous of a man to ever ask for a PM of a stream link so please don't.

My taxes funding the "Canadian Broadcasting Corporation" isn't enough to watch Canadian content anymore. Roger and Bell now the gate-keepers of the game of hockey in Canada. Disgusting
Go online to NHL Webcast

• Love
Reactions: ACLEVERNAME

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
In the 9 playoff series Toronto has been in since 2016, Marner has only played well in about 3 of them(2018 against Boston, 2022 and 2023 against Tampa).

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Marner has never done much to shed his "Prince of Junior Hockey" attitude.

At this point you just have to accept that's who he is

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
And their partners and families don't matter at all, in this situation?
Nice of you to make that wild leap and attribute it to my thoughts.

1st, when the concept of living in the big, luxurious city comes in to play, it is typically referenced as important to the young, single athlete.

2nd, when raising a family, things like school and culture usually become more important than nightclubs.

The fact you skipped over my point notwithstanding, team culture, support for significant others and families also plays a big part in making a place appealing. Wives and girlfriends have their own world together and there is a good vibe, most places will be fine.

Lastly, very few players have the opportunity to pick and choose exactly where they want to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad